Book crew: what are you reading?

01ACRViper

Official OT LOTR Guru......... Spurs >*
Jul 12, 2001
Dallas
oh wow, we're moving the goalposts all the way to unpublished authors, huh? you really wanna go muff diving on that transphobic idiot, huh?

Hey I'm not the one that made the undefendable claim that she is one of the worst authors OF ALL TIME

It's ok to be wrong. You've got a lot of experience. You can say "yeah man she's pretty terrible" and be on solid footing

Kafka

PaulGiamattiFan420
OT Supporter
Feb 16, 2007
America
oh wow, we're moving the goalposts all the way to unpublished authors, huh? you really wanna go muff diving on that transphobic idiot, huh?
I mean she’s not a bad author lol. I say this never having read a Harry Potter book. You can despise her or not care about her writing without saying she’s a terrible author.

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
I mean she’s not a bad author lol. I say this never having read a Harry Potter book. You can despise her or not care about her writing without saying she’s a terrible author.

nah, she's seriously a bottom tier writer. i'm not even convinced half the Harry Potter series was even written by her personally, like whomever wrote book 4 would use ellipses ALL the time. Harry pondered... where did he put his wand... maybe it was in his closet... or maybe under his bed... it was fucking INFURIATING. but the entire plot is predicated upon contriving some sort of magic spell that the next book just entirely forgets and she never thinks even the slightest of things through, like if you could cast a spell that would change your body ENTIRELY into someone else's with a piece of their hair or whatever, how fucking invasive is that? that kind of spell among preteens / early teenagers? yeah. totally glossed over. those kids are the heroes, they'd never do anything bad. she's a gross, stupid, talentless idiot that got lucky and tapped into a market that's known not at all for having any sort of discerning taste.

• Wow
Reactions: Sphygmo and Kafka

Axespeed

OT Supporter
Mar 9, 2005
I'm close to finishing the The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons, it's been a wild ride!

51TJGCr8UBL._AC_SY780_.jpg

Reactions: silkforcalde

wildflower

OT Supporter
May 17, 2002
No place for older men
I always thing that this is the kind of comment a person makes when they have no idea what they're talking about - they just resent the success.
I was like this when I was in my early 20's. I despised wealthy people, for no other reason than that they were wealthy.
They couldn't legitimately deserve this money, right?

novo

how's your dad?
OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2005
Low Haight
each year i set out to pick a theme for my reading. this year was sci-fi and don't think i'll be able to start and finish anymore in the next few days.
here's what i got through
  • Project Hail Mary
  • The Sandman Act II (Not sci-fi but had to)
  • The Grapes of Wrath (Also not sci-fi but promised my dad I would read it)
  • The Three Body Problem
  • The Dark Forest
  • Death's End
  • Miracle and Wonder (Not sci-fi but needed a change after Three Body Probem o_O)
  • Stories of Your Life and Others
  • Leviathan Wakes
  • Cibola Burn
  • Caliban's War
  • Nemesis Games
  • Abaddon's Gate
  • Babylon's Ashes
  • Persepolis Rising
  • Tiamat's Wrath
  • Leviathan Falls
  • The Butcher of Anderson Station
  • Gods of Risk
  • Strange Dogs
  • Jurassic Park
  • The Lost World
  • The Andromeda Strain

Next year, I'm trying to decide whether my theme should be horror or true crime

Reactions: Dylith

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
each year i set out to pick a theme for my reading. this year was sci-fi and don't think i'll be able to start and finish anymore in the next few days.
  • Project Hail Mary
  • The Three Body Problem
  • The Dark Forest
  • Death's End
  • Miracle and Wonder (Not sci-fi but needed a change after Three Body Probem o_O)
  • Leviathan Wakes
  • Cibola Burn
  • Caliban's War
  • Nemesis Games
  • Abaddon's Gate
  • Babylon's Ashes
  • Persepolis Rising
  • Tiamat's Wrath
  • Leviathan Falls
  • Gods of Risk
  • Strange Dogs
  • Jurassic Park
  • The Lost World
  • The Andromeda Strain

what'd you think of the three body problem series? i liked the first but thought it got too ridiculous by the end and i actually laughed at the ending.

Reactions: Bobert

sans_pants

I don't want any damn vegetables
OT Supporter
May 2, 2002
  • Project Hail Mary
  • The Three Body Problem
  • The Dark Forest
  • Death's End
  • Leviathan Wakes
  • Cibola Burn
  • Caliban's War
  • Nemesis Games
  • Abaddon's Gate
  • Babylon's Ashes
  • Persepolis Rising
  • Tiamat's Wrath
  • Leviathan Falls
  • Gods of Risk
  • Strange Dogs
  • Jurassic Park
  • The Lost World
  • The Andromeda Strain

That list is oddly terrible no offense

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
Well other than grapes of wrath and three body problem

Wonder if JP or Andromeda strain hold up tho. Haven't read a Crichton novel since high school

novo

how's your dad?
OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2005
Low Haight
what'd you think of the three body problem series? i liked the first but thought it got too ridiculous by the end and i actually laughed at the ending.
i think i need to learn the original language it was written in or a much better translation to fully understand it

the characters and dialogue were terrible, the plot was all over the place but the concepts were pretty interesting.

sans_pants

OT Supporter
May 2, 2002
i think i need to learn the original language it was written in or a much better translation to fully understand it

the characters and dialogue were terrible, the plot was all over the place but the concepts were pretty interesting.
The thing that really bothered me about that book, and I only read the first, was when it switched to the alien pov and the aliens explained their entire plan like they were humans

Reactions: novo

sans_pants

OT Supporter
May 2, 2002

Wonder if JP or Andromeda strain hold up tho. Haven't read a Crichton novel since high school
Jurassic park is pretty good. I read micro recently and I think if you rejiggered the ending it would make a great movie

Reactions: Sphygmo

novo

how's your dad?
OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2005
Low Haight

after 3BP and all that Expanse I wanted to read a non-spacey sci fi book and randomly thought of Jurassic Park. I had never read a Crichton novel before also so decided to give it a try. it was better than the movie except the action scenes. he's not very good at those.

then i read Lost World because I heard it was very different from the movie. actually thought it was pretty good. way more sciencey conjecture and theories, not very much action.

I decided that I liked Crichton so decided to read his first novel

Reactions: Dylith

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trendworld