Book crew: what are you reading?

sans_pants

I don't want any damn vegetables
OT Supporter
May 2, 2002
it's entirely possible i already read those :o
Don’t take offense I’ve been almost exclusively reading sci-fi for years and have had to go further and further outside of established lists

sans_pants

I don't want any damn vegetables
OT Supporter
May 2, 2002
Pretty much anytime I pick up a sci-fi book written in the last 15 years I gotta put it down shortly after

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
after 3BP and all that Expanse I wanted to read a non-spacey sci fi book and randomly thought of Jurassic Park. I had never read a Crichton novel before also so decided to give it a try. it was better than the movie except the action scenes. he's not very good at those.

then i read Lost World because I heard it was very different from the movie. actually thought it was pretty good. way more sciencey conjecture and theories, not very much action.

I decided that I liked Crichton so decided to read his first novel
I read most of his up to the point at which I was reading them which was the late 90s

Remember finding sphere completely captivating

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
Pretty much anytime I pick up a sci-fi book written in the last 15 years I gotta put it down shortly after

i've read tons of sci fi books from recent years that were amazing like Ancillary Justice, Embassytown, A Memory Called Empire, The Broken Earth trilogy, etc.

pretty sure Anathem was in the last 15 years but it's probably cutting it close, that's one of my all time favorites.

01ACRViper

Official OT LOTR Guru......... Spurs >*
Jul 12, 2001
Dallas
nah, she's seriously a bottom tier writer. i'm not even convinced half the Harry Potter series was even written by her personally, like whomever wrote book 4 would use ellipses ALL the time. Harry pondered... where did he put his wand... maybe it was in his closet... or maybe under his bed... it was fucking INFURIATING. but the entire plot is predicated upon contriving some sort of magic spell that the next book just entirely forgets and she never thinks even the slightest of things through, like if you could cast a spell that would change your body ENTIRELY into someone else's with a piece of their hair or whatever, how fucking invasive is that? that kind of spell among preteens / early teenagers? yeah. totally glossed over. those kids are the heroes, they'd never do anything bad. she's a gross, stupid, talentless idiot that got lucky and tapped into a market that's known not at all for having any sort of discerning taste.

You doin all that analyzing for a kids book bro

lowfat

The Dragon Reborn
OT Supporter
Oct 27, 2003
Grande Prairie, AB, Can
4avxCP3.jpg
@amalgamas Don't suppose you kept up with this series? There is a 'cameo' from another progressive fantasy series that have me rofling so hard.

amalgamas

OT Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Somewhere, AZ
@amalgamas Don't suppose you kept up with this series? There is a 'cameo' from another progressive fantasy series that have me rofling so hard.
I've read a couple of Andrew Rowe's series and I'm on the fence with his writing if I'm honest.

He has the makings of something amazing but like tries to ape other styles that make his own voice worse, at least that's what I feel. :o

silkforcalde

Nov 27, 2017
41pyIdgTjZL.jpg

Seanan McGuire is easily one of the best writers out there right now, all her books are just so good. Her prose is fantastic.

Reactions: emanuel

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olegarchy