ART Borrowed an Umbrella

ihkskim

OT Supporter
Nov 10, 2002
Cerritos, CA
C&C please. first time using an umbrella . took some pics with my friend so it was a little informal.

d80 sb600cls 17-55 2.8

btw i am aware my pics should be the same wb but was just testing out a few variations.

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

Last edited:

NOR*CAL

Oct 5, 2006
Hella
When using an umbrella, bring it as close to the subject as possible without being in frame. Light falls off real fast within the first couple of feet, as well as the umbrella soaking up a stop or two.

Try increasing your shutter speed to something other than 1/50, cause that seems slow, especially shooting at 75mm. Not for subject purposes, but for for ambient light.

FlashhslaF

Sep 17, 2003
Try increasing your shutter speed to something other than 1/50, cause that seems slow, especially shooting at 75mm. Not for subject purposes, but for for ambient light.

are you saying he needs more ambient light in his shots or less?

FlashhslaF

Sep 17, 2003
I'm curious if you (OP) shot through the umbrella or did you reflect the light from the inside of the umbrella?

TS
TS
ihkskim

ihkskim

OT Supporter
Nov 10, 2002
Cerritos, CA
When using an umbrella, bring it as close to the subject as possible without being in frame. Light falls off real fast within the first couple of feet, as well as the umbrella soaking up a stop or two.

didn't think shutter speed really mattered considreing the flash would freeze the subject from any movement anyway. yea the umbrella was pretty close to her.

I'm curious if you (OP) shot through the umbrella or did you reflect the light from the inside of the umbrella?

the flash was pointed away from the subject

aCab

Jun 1, 2007
Chicaaago
didn't think shutter speed really mattered considreing the flash would freeze the subject from any movement anyway. yea the umbrella was pretty close to her.

the flash was pointed away from the subject

Repeat after Me (or Zack Arias):
Aperture Controls the Flash
Shutter Speed Controls the Ambient

NOR*CAL

Oct 5, 2006
Hella

Yes, you can freeze your subject with flash. But if your exposure is set to a quarter of a second in midday light, you're definitely going to get blur. This also applies to 1/50th at 75mm if you're not careful.

Repeat after Me (or Zack Arias):
Aperture Controls the Flash
Shutter Speed Controls the Ambient

werd.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor