FIT Boxing and Weights....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apocalypse

May 19, 2003
Bay Area, CA (49ers)
Hey everyone! so I've been lifting regularly for about 6+ months now and I just started boxing. Anyways I wanted to know would I be overworking my muscles if I lifted weights on the days I didn't have boxing?

The boxing sessions are an hour, but are very intense. My plan is to go MWF boxing then lift on TueTh and Sat. I was thinking maybe just lifting weights TueTh and taking weekends off. Dunno whats better.

Memor

Jun 22, 2006
NYC
1 upper 1 lower a week, go heavy, low volume, light to no accessory work

box more than 3 days a week

TS
TS
Apocalypse

Apocalypse

May 19, 2003
Bay Area, CA (49ers)
Well the place that I take boxing at has a full gym so i'm paying $50 a month for access to gym as well as boxing. Not bad. I am about to cancel my gym membership that I had before I signed up for boxing.

Hood Moses

Halogen boi
Oct 4, 2001
NC
Id do something simlar to this

workout 1

Bench Press or Board press variation 4 x 3-5

Wide Grip chin 4 x 6

Barbell or Dumbbell Curl 3 x 8

Skull Crushers 3 x 10

workout 2

Squat or box squat 4 x 5

Glute/Ham Raises or pullthroughs 3 x 10

Ab work 3 x 10

forearms 2 x 20-30

workout 3

Incline bench press or Shoulder Press 4 x 5

Rows 4 x 8

Tricep pushdowns 2 x 10

Preacher curl 2 x 10

Ab work 3 x 10

workout 4

Deadlift or rack deadlift 4 x 5

Single leg squat variation 2 x 10

Calf Raises 3 x 15

Forearms 2 x 20

CottonTowels

May 17, 2010
Canada
How I would do it is:

MWF boxing (like you had mentioned)

Tues & thurs work on speed strength (30-50% of your max) and the intention is to develop acceleration speed, tues for lower body and thurs for upper body. Once the desired acceleration speed is obtained focus on increasing the amount of force developed while maintaining acceleration

And possibly if you can I'd throw the saturday workout right after the friday boxing session. Focus on strength (50-70% of your max) however still trying to produce the movement as quickly as possible and have the exercises in circuits of 4 or 5

If anything pay attention to nutrition to prevent yourself from overtraining and burn out

Memor

Jun 22, 2006
NYC
Sounds good to me. Before I started boxing I would generally do 4 sets of ten for every exercise. I guess I should start doing 2 sets of ten at a higher weight?

i was alternating between 3x3 and 3x5 work sets
accessory work super light / high volume just to pump blood into my muscles

basically bench + overhead press with light tricep and delt work
then deadlift + leg movement (wasn't squatting while knee healed) + chinups

i'm no expert but imo the post above me doesn't make too much sense...focusing on "speed" one day and "power" the other in your compound lifting on a two day a week split won't do much for your boxing or body. Also, why would you do circuits...that just takes away from you being able to get any sort of heavy work done. You need to get work done, then you box. Keep things simple.

CottonTowels

May 17, 2010
Canada
i'm no expert but imo the post above me doesn't make too much sense...focusing on "speed" one day and "power" the other in your compound lifting on a two day a week split won't do much for your boxing or body. Also, why would you do circuits...that just takes away from you being able to get any sort of heavy work done. You need to get work done, then you box. Keep things simple.

Speed on Tues and thurs. Power after Fridays boxing session or on Saturday

Ability to produce sub-maximal force as quick as possible > Ability to produce maximal force over a longer period of time

Fast boxer > bulky slow boxer

And circuits are more beneficial to a boxer because when are you ever at rest during a 3 minute round? Boxers never work for 30 seconds and rest for 2-3 minutes, they should be able to withstand fatigue and compete at a high intensity regardless if it's the beginning of the round or nearing the end of the round.

Conditioned boxer > boxer with limited stamina

Memor

Jun 22, 2006
NYC
Speed on Tues and thurs. Power after Fridays boxing session or on Saturday

Ability to produce sub-maximal force as quick as possible > Ability to produce maximal force over a longer period of time

Fast boxer > bulky slow boxer

And circuits are more beneficial to a boxer because when are you ever at rest during a 3 minute round? Boxers never work for 30 seconds and rest for 2-3 minutes, they should be able to withstand fatigue and compete at a high intensity regardless if it's the beginning of the round or nearing the end of the round.

Conditioned boxer > boxer with limited stamina
Nah, I know that - but he's not trying to box and compete in it and spar for rounds every week with people. There's a distinct difference. He's doing it through his gym as part of exercising. What I meant was if you're trying to compete and specialize, then you can start bringing that stuff in with the guidance of a good trainer...but otherwise you're better off keeping things simple.

TS
TS
Apocalypse

Apocalypse

May 19, 2003
Bay Area, CA (49ers)
Nah, I know that - but he's not trying to box and compete in it and spar for rounds every week with people. There's a distinct difference. He's doing it through his gym as part of exercising. What I meant was if you're trying to compete and specialize, then you can start bringing that stuff in with the guidance of a good trainer...but otherwise you're better off keeping things simple.

Ya thats exactly my situation. I wouldn't mind competing eventually. I def need to build up my endurance. I like keeping workouts simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan