SPORTS Brazilian Traditional Jiu-Jitsu

Savage5point0

Im an asshole.
Nov 3, 2001
The Bay, California
Anyone ever heard of a school using this terminology?

A place opened around the corner from me, and this is from their site...

BRAZILIAN TRADITIONAL JIU-JITSU

Sensei Darlynson Lira, third degree black belt, is the first son of Master Darcio Lira, a ninth degree red belt from Fortaleza, Brazil. He has 14 years of training and over 12 years of teaching Brazilian Traditional Jiu-Jitsu . His resume is very impressive, and includes national and international experience. Whether you want to fight in MMA or just learn self-defense here at BOX-R-CISE FITNESS CENTER you can be assured you will get some of the best training availiable.

* BTJJ with Gi (Competition)
* BTJJ without GI (Grappling)
* Self Defense

chechen

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
OT Supporter
Sep 29, 2003
Irvine, CA
maybe it means less sport jiu jitsu, and more self defense stuff?

or maybe it means they dont teach any no gi, or leglocks?

chechen

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
OT Supporter
Sep 29, 2003
Irvine, CA
maybe theyre trying to emphasize the fact they train with the gi on since theyre located in an mma oriented gym

The Ripper

Dec 25, 2006
Colorado Springs, Co
Im assuming they are more about self defense then they are about competition. Alot of BJJ schools dont teach the self defense aspect at all but I know the Gracie Miami school does. I heard them use the term before.

adrenalin112

Dec 30, 2003
SoCal --> Tempe
box-r-cise?

sounds like theyre trying to be pretentious and convey they theyre better than any other schools in the area. when in all actuality, theyre not.

Sammo

Jan 5, 2005
Southern Canada
I'm sure OT is willing to chip in a couple bucks, but I don't think anyone is going to front up the cash for this silly fight considering the flight from BC to Florida (and vice versa) would be a lot, and a total waste of money

Redneck Shinobi

Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that
Oct 27, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I'm sure OT is willing to chip in a couple bucks, but I don't think anyone is going to front up the cash for this silly fight considering the flight from BC to Florida (and vice versa) would be a lot, and a total waste of money
Oh I'll find a way to make it happen. I can use my travel discount and get there, but It'd be standby. I'd probably book a ticket back home to Vancouver instead of going back in through Seattle. The problem really is flying at a non peak season to Florida, and getting to Seattle to fly for super cheap.

Sammo

Jan 5, 2005
Southern Canada
come on bro, we all know Phazel was just joking/trolling, how about you and Phazel fly to Toronto instead, and all three of us can bake cookies and have a bake sale for Mothers Against Drunk Driving :love:

Redneck Shinobi

Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that
Oct 27, 2006
Vancouver, BC
come on bro, we all know Phazel was just joking/trolling, how about you and Phazel fly to Toronto instead, and all three of us can bake cookies and have a bake sale for Mothers Against Drunk Driving :love:
I don't wanna believe it's true :wtc:

My family is out around those parts. You have no idea how much I'd love to do it out there lol. Are we gonna deep fry the cookies? If so I'm in.

Last edited:

SHORTSHIFTER

Old School Lurker
Mar 15, 2000
Canada Eh!
got this from wiki

Today, the main differences between the BJJ styles is between traditional Gracie Jiu-Jitsu's emphasis on self-defense, and Sport Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu's orientation towards point competition. There is a large commonality of techniques between the two. Also, there is a wide variety of ideals in training in different schools in terms of the utilization of technique versus how much to attempt to overpower an opponent.

seems like it would be more self defense

i from watch some youtube vids and checking google images for "Darcio Lira".... i am starting to think it is more along the lines of Japanese jj ... that was maybe taught in brazil ?

Buck something?

Sep 29, 2008
Im assuming they are more about self defense then they are about competition. Alot of BJJ schools dont teach the self defense aspect at all but I know the Gracie Miami school does. I heard them use the term before.
Isnt bjj (combined with MT) supposed to be the best self defense martial arts? What makes traditional 'self defense' oriented.

chechen

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
OT Supporter
Sep 29, 2003
Irvine, CA
Isnt bjj (combined with MT) supposed to be the best self defense martial arts? What makes traditional 'self defense' oriented.

they dont teach stuff like upside down guard.. and weird complicated gi chokes.

they teach stuff like how to defend:

like a guy bear hugging you from behind..

a guy has one arm around your neck from behind..

stuffs like that

CrazyFoool

OT Supporter
Nov 7, 2002
Issaquah
they dont teach stuff like upside down guard.. and weird complicated gi chokes.

they teach stuff like how to defend:

like a guy bear hugging you from behind..

a guy has one arm around your neck from behind..

stuffs like that

shit son, bas ruttens youtube video taught us all thoseeeee.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maxvell32