building a new computer

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
i have an older computer that i built a long time ago and it is time for an upgrade.

what's the best motherboard/CPU combo right now? sticking with intel unless there is something better.

i don't have an immediate need for a high end graphics card, right now, but i want the ability to add one later on so i'll need something with onboard video

the only thing i'm keeping from the current computer is the case, which is a large case and should be able to take any/most motherboards.

i have a nas that stores all my media and this pc will likely become my new media server so i'd like the ability to transcode media, if that were something that i needed to do, most files will direct play.

are there any new brands of motherboards to stay away from?

do motherboards come with 10gb onboard yet or would i need an add on card for 10gb networking?

are there certain socket types that are better/preferred or does it not really matter as long as it matches the CPU socket?

looking at gigabyte and asus as those are the boards i've purchased in the past, but not against looking at other brands.

TS
TS
TomDlgns

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
intel 13th gen i9-13900k

both gigabyte and asus have 10gb lan boards if you want to spend another $500 on a mb

no that's ok, i'll stick with dual gig, bonded or find a board with 2.5 Gbps, i didn't even know they came with 2.5 Gbps that's how long its been.

gigabit is likely just fine, i just brought up 10gb because i know apple is going 10gb and 2.5 and 10gb are slowly making their way into switches and figured i would ask.

adding a 10gb card in 1...2...3 years is also an option.

Reactions: I<3URANUS

Petey!

Oh Yeah!
OT Supporter
Mar 31, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
Stick with the major brands. I know for AMD they like a minimum speed for DDR4 but not sure on DDR5.

Honestly just hop over to reddit or pcpartpicker and get one of their canned builds.

TS
TS
TomDlgns

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
Stick with the major brands. I know for AMD they like a minimum speed for DDR4 but not sure on DDR5.

Honestly just hop over to reddit or pcpartpicker and get one of their canned builds.

i'll check other places, but figured it wouldn't hurt to start here, i know there are people here that build their own systems and are very knowledgeable.

the_antsy_honda

This is the story of a little ship...
Dec 17, 2001
California
memory.....

is there a certain type that is better than another type?
13600k w/igu (or 13700k if you need 8 P-cores)
ddr5 z690 with bios flashback (i like MSI)
32gb 6400 ddr5

asus is expensive for what you get
gigabyte has buggy memory compatibility, but z790 supposedly improved

if you got mircocenter nearby, check them out for deals

the_antsy_honda

Dec 17, 2001
California
Has Intel finally passed up AMD on processors?
they've been leapfrogging each other for the past 5 years or so

right now Intel is on barely on top for gaming and ahead in workloads (at the cost of power consumption)

that will change in a month or two when new 3D VCache chips from AMD for gaming

they're all fast enough that it doesn't really matter what you get tho

TS
TS
TomDlgns

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
Why plex AND jellyfin?

because neither can play everything. i've had some issues on some devices that don't have surround sound.

for example, plex client is connected to a TV with hdmi and that location doesn't have surround sound. plex won't play the file, it throws an error. some media have multiple audio options and i can switch to another audio option and it will play though plex, but the ones that have one audio option (usually 7.1) will sometimes throw errors and not play. if i play the same file through the shield (all my clients are shield) on a setup with a receiver and surround sound, it plays just fine.

if i go back to the location w/o surround sound and use jellyfin it will play that same file w/o any issues.

also, if i am remote i'll connect to my network using VPN and watch media. if i attempt to watch a 4k file through plex, it doesn't play even if i step it down to 4...5mbps. however, jellyfin will let me select 1080p and a lower network speed and it plays that same 4k file just fine over my remote VPN app. it seems plex is trying to use the 4k file and just step down the network speed and the remote client doesn't like that.

onedownfiveup

OT Supporter
Jun 26, 2005
they've been leapfrogging each other for the past 5 years or so

right now Intel is on barely on top for gaming and ahead in workloads (at the cost of power consumption)

that will change in a month or two when new 3D VCache chips from AMD for gaming

they're all fast enough that it doesn't really matter what you get tho
ahh, I thought I've been seeing that the AMD chips for the price have been the best for a while now

onedownfiveup

OT Supporter
Jun 26, 2005
because neither can play everything. i've had some issues on some devices that don't have surround sound.

for example, plex client is connected to a TV with hdmi and that location doesn't have surround sound. plex won't play the file, it throws an error. some media have multiple audio options and i can switch to another audio option and it will play though plex, but the ones that have one audio option (usually 7.1) will sometimes throw errors and not play. if i play the same file through the shield (all my clients are shield) on a setup with a receiver and surround sound, it plays just fine.

if i go back to the location w/o surround sound and use jellyfin it will play that same file w/o any issues.

also, if i am remote i'll connect to my network using VPN and watch media. if i attempt to watch a 4k file through plex, it doesn't play even if i step it down to 4...5mbps. however, jellyfin will let me select 1080p and a lower network speed and it plays that same 4k file just fine over my remote VPN app. it seems plex is trying to use the 4k file and just step down the network speed and the remote client doesn't like that.
Interesting, I don't think I've ran into that situation other than when I put movies on a HD and my FIL plays them directly on his Samsung TV. Some movies don't play and I think it's because of the audio.

Also, I don't share my plex server. Last time I streamed it from someone's house it played a movie fine and then middle of second it shut down and when I came back home my computer was saying the boot drive was missing. I rebooted it and it has been fine. No idea why or what caused it or if it was a fluke.

the_antsy_honda

Dec 17, 2001
California
ahh, I thought I've been seeing that the AMD chips for the price have been the best for a while now
8th/9th gen intel vs Ryzen 1000/2000/3000 Intel was better at everything except value (and some production vs 3000)

10th gen/11th gen Intel vs Ryzen 5000 AMD was better at everything except value (lower end 10th and 11th gen stuff was real cheap and decent)

12th gen/13th gen Intel vs Ryzen 7000 Intel is better at everything...even value

(some overlap there but you get the idea)

And so forth

Last edited:
TS
TS
TomDlgns

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
Interesting, I don't think I've ran into that situation other than when I put movies on a HD and my FIL plays them directly on his Samsung TV. Some movies don't play and I think it's because of the audio.

Also, I don't share my plex server. Last time I streamed it from someone's house it played a movie fine and then middle of second it shut down and when I came back home my computer was saying the boot drive was missing. I rebooted it and it has been fine. No idea why or what caused it or if it was a fluke.

i don't share mine either. but sometimes i am remote and i want to watch something, so i vpn in.

onedownfiveup

OT Supporter
Jun 26, 2005
i don't share mine either. but sometimes i am remote and i want to watch something, so i vpn in.
I don't mind sharing mine. As a matter of fact I would like to share it with a few friends and family.

I'm sure what I ran into was a fluke.

TS
TS
TomDlgns

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
8th/9th gen intel vs Ryzen 1000/2000/3000 Intel was better at everything except value (and some production vs 3000)

10th gen/11th gen Intel vs Ryzen 5000 AMD was better at everything except value (lower end 10th and 11th gen stuff was real cheap and decent)

12th gen/13th gen Intel vs Ryzen 7000 Intel is better at everything...even value

And so forth

which motherboard/cpu/memory combo would you go with?

you seem to be up to date with the tech

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olegarchy