building a new computer

wizurd

OT Supporter
Mar 7, 2002
Wanna see my AMD Opteron, OCZ Platinum, and WD Raptor I still have? :rofl:

Not sure if I kept the DFI Lanparty board but I wouldn't be surprised if it turns up.

wizurd

OT Supporter
Mar 7, 2002
Fuck I just realized I still have Logitech Z2300s in the garage and a Dell 2005FPW.

That's it. I'm putting it all back together and browsing OT in normal mode for nostalgia.

• Cool
Reactions: cyclaptor

wizurd

OT Supporter
Mar 7, 2002
IMG_1277.JPG

My PC when I first built it. That AX860 ended up dying about 5 years ago I believe. I started an RMA, forgot to ship it, and I still have yet to this day any idea where in the fuck it went. :rofl: Ended up replacing it with a AC500 or something that wasn't modular and stopping caring about the color scheme.

Reactions: cyclaptor

Twinsen

Resident Negro
OT Supporter
Mar 12, 2006
Memphis, TN
i upgraded a few months ago from a 10900k to the 13700k and on paper its a vastly superior processor, and in practice it's noticeable, but it isn't really night and day.

it's about 50% faster in single threaded perf. and 2x faster multithreaded. Real world is like, "yeah this feels faster" but not $700 faster imo
This is why I'm still on 10700k, not enough of a jump to warrant a complete rebuild yet.

Reactions: the_antsy_honda

Twinsen

Resident Negro
OT Supporter
Mar 12, 2006
Memphis, TN
i justified it because the old system is still in use; family members always get upgrades when i get upgrades as i shift things down and retire the oldest

my son def. enjoys the 10900k
I just built both of my daughters PCs a few weeks ago. My oldest daughter basically got my OLD PC (that I used to use for an HTPC in the living room w/ a 970. My youngest daughter got basically one of my mining rigs w/ a 7th gen i5 and I threw a 3070 in it. :mamoru:

I still have an extra 3080 that I was gonna put in my oldest daughter's PC, but they literally only play Roblox for now, so haven't bothered yet.

Reactions: the_antsy_honda

the_antsy_honda

This is the story of a little ship...
Dec 17, 2001
California
I just built both of my daughters PCs a few weeks ago. My oldest daughter basically got my OLD PC (that I used to use for an HTPC in the living room w/ a 970. My youngest daughter got basically one of my mining rigs w/ a 7th gen i5 and I threw a 3070 in it. :mamoru:

I still have an extra 3080 that I was gonna put in my oldest daughter's PC, but they literally only play Roblox for now, so haven't bothered yet.
SPOILED

• Sad
Reactions: Twinsen
TS
TS
TomDlgns

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
@the_antsy_honda

still waiting for power supply recommendations

i already noted what @Smahatma has, but need to get your feedback as well.

the_antsy_honda

Dec 17, 2001
California
@the_antsy_honda

pick an A tier unit from this list that is at least 850w if you plan to get a mid-upper tier GPU, and 1000w if you plan on a halo GPU (like a 4090)

the_antsy_honda

Dec 17, 2001
California
@the_antsy_honda

If get this one if you aren't planning on a $1500-$2000 GPU

TS
TS
TomDlgns

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
If get this one if you aren't planning on a $1500-$2000 GPU

i have no clue which GPU i'm going to use in the future. i don't think i'll go super high end, but i tend to overdue things.

i can always get a higher wattage psu and it will only use what it needs.

the_antsy_honda

Dec 17, 2001
California
i have no clue which GPU i'm going to use in the future. i don't think i'll go super high end, but i tend to overdue things.

i can always get a higher wattage psu and it will only use what it needs.
its just that price jump from 850w to 1000w+ is a pretty big step and not needed if you well, don't need it.

grab the 1000w rm then

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abdallahppp6