building a new computer

the_antsy_honda

This is the story of a little ship...
Dec 17, 2001
California
which motherboard/cpu/memory combo would you go with?

you seem to be up to date with the tech
depends on needs, you don't sound like you actually need or want a lot of performance so i think a 13600k with a b660/b760 of some type would fit best for price/perf.

am personally on 13700KF/MSI Z690 Edge Wifi/G. Skill DDR5 6000, but there are better options out there now, and I don't recommend a KF chip actually

Reactions: obscure/renegade

the_antsy_honda

Dec 17, 2001
California
Intel systems seem to have slightly lower idle power consumption too so that might matter in the case of being used as a server

onedownfiveup

OT Supporter
Jun 26, 2005
i don't want to deal with non-tech savvy users.
I hear ya. I'd limit who got it.

My FIL really needs internet where he lives because right now I'm moving tv shows/movies to a hard drive anytime he comes in town and it's kind of annoying.

TS
TS
TomDlgns

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
depends on needs, you don't sound like you actually need or want a lot of performance so i think a 13600k with a b660/b760 of some type would fit best for price/perf.

i want to build the best pc i can, within reason, in the environment we are in today.

i know that is somewhat open ended, but i want this thing to last 5-7 years w/o me having to think about hardware.

throw something my way and i'll price it out.

for example, i want an i9, i don't want to go less than that. i don't know if all i9s have quicksync but that's a must.

TS
TS
TomDlgns

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
I hear ya. I'd limit who got it.

My FIL really needs internet where he lives because right now I'm moving tv shows/movies to a hard drive anytime he comes in town and it's kind of annoying.

yeah, if they (generally speaking, not your FIL) were willing to learn and say 'teach me what i need to do and how to handle common issues' then i'd consider it, but i know it will be basic calls like...

- how do i enable subtitles?
- how do i filter out horror, drama, etc...
- how can i arrange the library to show me x...
- why is it buffering, is my wireless router in the basement not strong enough to reach the second floor in my house?
- why is it buffering, is my lowest priced DSL package speed not fast enough?

• Support
Reactions: TenSteel and 93rx7

the_antsy_honda

Dec 17, 2001
California
i want to build the best pc i can, within reason, in the environment we are in today.

i know that is somewhat open ended, but i want this thing to last 5-7 years w/o me having to think about hardware.

throw something my way and i'll price it out.

for example, i want an i9, i don't want to go less than that. i don't know if all i9s have quicksync but that's a must.
AMD is gonna have way better longevity in 5-7 years since it will support CPU upgrades for at least 3 years; so that realistically means 2 more generations of CPUs probably.

Intel is done with this socket already.

i9-13900K is going to be really great performer, will outperform the 7950x in games, is on paper way better at all core workloads, but realistically the 7950x is more efficient. The 7950x also has an igpu, I know Intel iGPU can be helpful for some encoding type stuff but not sure if the same applies to Ryzen although I'd assume it does.

onedownfiveup

OT Supporter
Jun 26, 2005
yeah, if they (generally speaking, not your FIL) were willing to learn and say 'teach me what i need to do and how to handle common issues' then i'd consider it, but i know it will be basic calls like...

- how do i enable subtitles?
- how do i filter out horror, drama, etc...
- how can i arrange the library to show me x...
- why is it buffering, is my wireless router in the basement not strong enough to reach the second floor in my house?
- why is it buffering, is my lowest priced DSL package speed not fast enough?
All good concerns for sure. My FIL is not tech savvy at all. I hooked him up with a raspberry pi with xbmc and a hard drive hooked up. I then got him a remote that was somewhat complicated to use to navigate xbmc menus. He figured everything out and some how figured out he could hook the HD directly to his samsung tv and it works with his tv remote and is easier for him.

My BIL's mother who lives near my FIL (same small country town) has slow internet and she was just complaining to me about how her wifi sucks and showing me wifi extenders asking if she should get some to help out. I had to explain to her it's no the wifi that sucks it's the internet.

Reactions: TenSteel
TS
TS
TomDlgns

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
AMD is gonna have way better longevity in 5-7 years since it will support CPU upgrades for at least 3 years; so that realistically means 2 more generations of CPUs probably.

Intel is done with this socket already.

i9-13900K is going to be really great performer, will outperform the 7950x in games, is on paper way better at all core workloads, but realistically the 7950x is more efficient. The 7950x also has an igpu, I know Intel iGPU can be helpful for some encoding type stuff but not sure if the same applies to Ryzen although I'd assume it does.

the CPU needs to handle graphics.

do you know the AMD equivalent to quicksync? i need to see what plex/jellyfin use for transcoding on the AMD side, i've only ever had to focus on intel with plex and jellyfin. that's the only reason i didn't want to go with AMD, but if AMD has something compatible that works with plex/jellyfin i can look at AMD as well.

the_antsy_honda

Dec 17, 2001
California
the CPU needs to handle graphics.

do you know the AMD equivalent to quicksync? i need to see what plex/jellyfin use for transcoding on the AMD side, i've only ever had to focus on intel with plex and jellyfin. that's the only reason i didn't want to go with AMD, but if AMD has something compatible that works with plex/jellyfin i can look at AMD as well.

Ryzen 7000 iGPU – Does it Work for Hardware Decoding and Encoding?​

As we've talked about a few times already, we had high hopes that the iGPU included on the Ryzen 7000 series would be able to function similarly to Quick Sync on the Intel Core processors. By itself, Quick Sync has long been one of the main reasons we tend to lead with Intel over AMD for the majority of users that work with HEVC media. Unfortunately, we had some major GPU driver issues that prevented us from being able to use the AMD iGPU for decoding.

To be clear, we fully expect the issues we saw to be fixed fairly quickly with an updated AMD GPU driver. But, with what we had available pre-launch, we were unable to get hardware decoding or encoding to work in DaVinci Resolve Studio with the Ryzen 7000's integrated GPU.

For decoding, we were able to select it as an option for hardware decoding in DaVinci Resolves preferences, but only got "Media Offline" errors when trying to play an H.264 8bit 4:2:0 clip (the most basic and common format).

And for exporting, it was a valid choice under the encoder options, but trying to export resulted in a "Render Job Failed as the current clip could not be processed. Cannot find appropriate codec for encoding the video frame." error. Exporting that same clip with software and NVIDIA encoding worked fine, which confirmed that the issue was with the AMD encoder on the iGPU.

We will note that this issue did not adversely affect the benchmark results shown in this article. Performance was identical with and without the iGPU enabled, so the decoding and encoding issues did not lower the performance. Once the iGPU is fixed, it could result in an increase in performance, but DaVinci Resolve was good about using the NVIDIA decoder/encoder rather than trying to use the iGPU and messing up the results.

We saw similar issues in our Premiere Pro testing (although hardware encoding did work in Premiere Pro), which is why we are fairly confident that this is an underlying driver issue rather than a problem with DaVinci Resolve. Hopefully, we will get a fix soon, as it is entirely possible that having the iGPU available and working could increase the AMD's performance when using LongGOP codecs like H.264 and HEVC.

TS
TS
TomDlgns

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
All good concerns for sure. My FIL is not tech savvy at all. I hooked him up with a raspberry pi with xbmc and a hard drive hooked up. I then got him a remote that was somewhat complicated to use to navigate xbmc menus. He figured everything out and some how figured out he could hook the HD directly to his samsung tv and it works with his tv remote and is easier for him.

yeah, TVs have improved quite a bit over the years, hooking up a hard drive directly to a TV to play content was not as easy as it is today. even some of the built in streaming options (streaming from your network) have improved on the TVs and you don't need an application on the TV, but plex/jellyfin look much better than the built in TV streaming. however, some people don't care about the interface, they just want to see the file and click play, which is just fine...

TS
TS
TomDlgns

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004

thanks, i'll see what plex and jellyfin says about AMD. i just don't think i'm going to miss out on anything if i stick with intel and quicksync. i'd like to have this last for 5-7 years but if it doesn't then that's how it goes...

Reactions: the_antsy_honda
TS
TS
TomDlgns

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
13600k w/igu (or 13700k if you need 8 P-cores)
ddr5 z690 with bios flashback (i like MSI)
32gb 6400 ddr5

asus is expensive for what you get
gigabyte has buggy memory compatibility, but z790 supposedly improved

if you got mircocenter nearby, check them out for deals

you like MSI over asus? i'll look at the z790, but i'd rather go with asus or MSI if they aren't as buggy/buggy.

the_antsy_honda

Dec 17, 2001
California
low end vs high end are you just looking at price?
i mean of course they're all segmented out by price

ASUS lower end boards, example being the Prime-A/P, aren't great because there are options from other manufacturers that have better features at the same price point

ASUS ROG/STRIX boards have feature parity with other boards in the same segment, but are more expensive for mostly the same features

The enthusiast boards ASUS does pretty well and at that point price isn't really something people are worried about anyway

the_antsy_honda

Dec 17, 2001
California
when i select asus and in stock (currently browsing newegg) they only show ddr5 options at 5600, 4800 and 4600.
memory compatibility is going to be really hit or miss past the rated speed of the chip; 13th gen is 5600 i believe. Mostly 6000-6400 is easy, above that isn't really guarantied and its also really expensive and really maybe not that much better for ROI

TS
TS
TomDlgns

TomDlgns

OT Supporter
Oct 24, 2004
i mean of course they're all segmented out by price

ASUS lower end boards, example being the Prime-A/P, aren't great because there are options from other manufacturers that have better features at the same price point

ASUS ROG/STRIX boards have feature parity with other boards in the same segment, but are more expensive for mostly the same features

The enthusiast boards ASUS does pretty well and at that point price isn't really something people are worried about anyway

thanks, that's what i was looking for.

right now i'm looking at the gigabyte z790 UD and trying to decide between intel i9 chips.

the_antsy_honda

Dec 17, 2001
California
thanks, that's what i was looking for.

right now i'm looking at the gigabyte z790 UD and trying to decide between intel i9 chips.
UD is an entry level from gigabyte; it's much better than it used to be and is solid choice for gamers but if you're going for a 13900k and wanting a "best that you can get for the current environment" I'd go for something closer to the aorus line

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trendworld