GUN Building Another AR and Scope Question

PUREVIL

More Money Than Brains Croo
Oct 3, 2001
Minot ND / Las Vegas NV
So I have a 18inch AR that I'd like to put a scope on.... any recommendations? Make it more of a long range, rifle. Id probably go with a night force maybe? Thats what I have on my 700 LTP. But open to all suggestions.

When I got my 10.5 Noveske they gave me a free lower.... I would like to maybe build a 14inch and I'd use my acog from the 18 on it. I forgot do I need to register it as an SBR? I cant remember what the cut off is.

Thanks.

phoenixTX

Sep 10, 2004
Dallas and OKC
Anything with a stock and has a barrel less than 16" is an SBR, but I would think you would know that if you already have a 10.5". Perhaps your user text really does apply.

Fireball

Aug 24, 2004
Wisconsin
Is it a 5.56?

If so, no need for a long range scope. Anything past 300 or so yards is useless anyways.

And subtle baller wannabe comment... nightforce scopes are mega pricey. Waste on a 5.56 AR if you ask me.

Keesh

Oct 26, 2003
How much do you want to spend?

TR-20 or a TR-22 are good optics and reasonably priced.

Vortex has a new-ish line out that is first focal plane and mil hashes with mil turrets. If you're going to be shooting longer distances I'd go for something that has a mil reticle and mil adjustments. 500 yards is easy with .223. the right bullet, and a good scope.

TS
TS
PUREVIL

PUREVIL

Oct 3, 2001
Minot ND / Las Vegas NV
Anything with a stock and has a barrel less than 16" is an SBR, but I would think you would know that if you already have a 10.5". Perhaps your user text really does apply.

You see I thought this.... but when I was reading the descriptions on Novesekes website on rifles and uppers it says something regarding NFA transfers required before buying.... but on the 13.7 and longer it doesn't have that description, it does say that the 13.7 has overall length is 16inches... but I guess I wasn't 100% sure if the overall length is what counts or just barrel length ya know?

All my ars are 5.56 and this thrid one will be as well.

Thanks Keesh I will look at scopes you recommended.

XO

I'll bee your honey
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2001
Not*Cal
no nfa as long as the flash hider is pinned to the barrel, I'm pretty sure that noveske sells theirs pinned

13.7 w/ pinned 2.5" noveske suppressor is about as short as you can go

Last edited:
TS
TS
PUREVIL

PUREVIL

Oct 3, 2001
Minot ND / Las Vegas NV
no nfa as long as the flash hider is pinned to the barrel, I'm pretty sure that noveske sells theirs pinned

Thats what im thinking as well. I guess it doesn't matter to me if I have to redo paperwork, its not like I haven't done it already 4 times. But Im not sure what length Id get? 7.5 seems like a waste to me... a 14 is a nice split between 18 and 10.5

Iceburn

Made in the USA
May 16, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ

Never understood why people do this. Way too much work to shave an inch off the barrel. Just sbr that shit.

kellyclan

She only loves you when she's drunk.
May 16, 2001
If you want something between the 10.5 and the 18, look at the BCM midlengths in 14.5 or 16.

And as above mentioned, anything with a barrel length less than 16" will require a SBR stamp unless you have a flash hider pinned on to make the total length 16".

pimpofthenation

OT Supporter
Aug 10, 2005
A2
Never understood why people do this. Way too much work to shave an inch off the barrel. Just sbr that shit.
Can't have SBRs in Michigan, so I wanted the shortest that I was legally allowed. So I have an 14.5" Colt w/1.6" Phantom flash suppressor that's pinned.

JohnBuuu

Aug 9, 2004
Davidsonville, DPRMD
Is it a 5.56?

If so, no need for a long range scope. Anything past 300 or so yards is useless anyways.

And subtle baller wannabe comment... nightforce scopes are mega pricey. Waste on a 5.56 AR if you ask me.

Respectfully disagree.
The SPR is one of the best AR variants ever fielded to the military. Many of those who have a choice what they carry pick that rifle. 5.56 may not be ideal for long range person hunting, but neither is the weight penalty and reduced amount of ammo that can be carried with .308 (Im a big fan of .308 too, just sayin). There are compromises everywhere.

I use NF optics on anything that deserves magnification. They are very tough scopes with very good glass. I wouldn't hesitate to put one on an AR of any caliber. They are, as mentioned, very expensive, but you won't wonder where the money went. If you have any ?s about the optics, Ill do my best to answer.

Fireball

Aug 24, 2004
Wisconsin
Respectfully disagree.
The SPR is one of the best AR variants ever fielded to the military. Many of those who have a choice what they carry pick that rifle. 5.56 may not be ideal for long range person hunting, but neither is the weight penalty and reduced amount of ammo that can be carried with .308 (Im a big fan of .308 too, just sayin). There are compromises everywhere.

I use NF optics on anything that deserves magnification. They are very tough scopes with very good glass. I wouldn't hesitate to put one on an AR of any caliber. They are, as mentioned, very expensive, but you won't wonder where the money went. If you have any ?s about the optics, Ill do my best to answer.

Who said I was talking about 5.56 vs .308?

What about the 6.5 or 6.8?

JohnBuuu

Aug 9, 2004
Davidsonville, DPRMD
Who said I was talking about 5.56 vs .308?

What about the 6.5 or 6.8?

I did not intend to infer that you were. I was only saying there is a trade off in everything, .308 being a typical comparison. You said that 5.56 is useless past 300 meters. I do not think that is accurate. Even if the TS was shooting at men, which I will just assume for arguments sake is not the case, 5.56 is perfectly viable much further than 300m.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor