GUN Bullet grain: FPS Qeustion

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Aaron74, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Aaron74

Aaron74 Guest

I was looking around on black hills.com and I noticed that the 185 JHP bullets havea 1,000FPS and energy of 411 FT-LBS and the 230FMJ have 850FPS. I don't really understand why that is or what the grain numbers stand for. Is the # XXXgrain mean the size of the grain or amount or something. Anything helping me to understand this better would be great!

thanks,
    Aaron

2. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

the heavier bullets have a slower muzzle velocity.

3. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

there are two grain measurements with cartridge loading. there's grains of powder, which measures the actual number of grains of whatever type of powder is behind the bullet. then there's the grain weight of the bullet. i forget how many grains are in an ounce/pound/etc, but it's a lot. when it says "xxx" gr. round/bullet, it's talking about the weight of the bullet. for instance, i use 127 gr. 9mm bullets for my carry loads.

also, don't get so caught up in the weight of the bullet and the energy it has, so much as the end result of the round when it enters the flesh of whatever your intened target is. if it doesn't make the largest possible permanent wound cavity in the target, who cares how heavy/fast/energetic the bullet is?

4. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

This probably doesn't apply to smokeless powder, but there are about 7000 grains of powder per pound of black powder. :dunno:

wound size is only relevant if you're attempting to kill something, if you're shooting targets it doesn't mean jack. Same goes for distance shooting, where more speed is helpful. It all really boils down to what you want to do with the bullet.

5. footratfunkface

energy also doesn't matter if you're shooting paper, but since he mentioned it, i thought i'd point out that it's irrelevant no matter what you're doing.

there are roughly 7,000 grains (in the current grain weight measurement, not the older one. there have been many over the years) in a pound. i could weigh myself in grains if i wanted to. the number of grains of powder per pound will depend on the composition of the powder, the temperature, humidity, the size of the grain (stick or ball), and the distance from the center of the earth.

6. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

The army had a hell of a time during the spanish american war because they prescribed to the "bigger is better" idea and used 220 grain rounds in their 30-40 krags and what not. The spanish on the other hand had IIRC 140 grain bullets in their 7mm mauser rifles and actually inflicted twice their number (700) in casualties at San Jaun Hill because of this. After this the U.S. switched to 150 grain bullets when they adopted 30.06. Just thought I would share this :o

7. Goat

It's funny to see people who think that if the have a bullet with a high enough energy then they will simply be able to knock a deer/moose/elk/whatever off their feet due to the huge explosion of energy they'll experience. In a Handloading magazine I was reading, a writer took a 700 pound bag of sand and hung it from a tree, and then let his friend shoot it with some massive caliber, I can't remember what exactly. He couldn't even get the damn thing to sway, let alone knock it over. :mamoru:

and I know that powder thing varies, 7000 is a rough number considering the amount of variables.

8. 7

I was just telling a story :embd:

9. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I watched some show about the assasination of Kennedy and one of the guy's mentioned this. They said you could hang a body from a tree and shoot at it and it wouldn't move at all.

10. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

But if you used the MIGHTY .45 it would explode!!!!!! That's like Thor's Hammer!

11. 7

A friend told me today that he wanted to get a .45-70 for deer because they always run when he shoots em with his .308. :hsugh:

12. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Weight = potential energy
    velocity = kinetic or "transfer" energy

One without the other is pointless. Any of the popular defense loads offer good balances of both variables.

13. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

What if he wanted to hunt buffalo? 30mm??
    :eek4:

14. 7

I really hope he gets one for christmas like he wants (or his brother since it was actually his idea first, though I feel that he stole it from me :o ) because they cant handle recoil and I want to see them get rocked :mamoru:

15. Aaron74

Aaron74 Guest

I was just wondering. I figured bigger the .XXX meant more "power", resulting in a faster more accurate shot. My question was leaning towards a .45 round. I was looking for something that is for the most part accurate, has good penatration and stopping power.

16. 7

99% of the time the bigger the round, the slower it is (unless the case is gigantic of course).

17. footratfunkface

my next door neighbor is a nice guy and all. but he doesn't know SHIT about ballistics. he knows some reloading tricks, but he hasn't actually even SHOT in about 20 years. he saw me carrying one of my firearms in the other day, and struck a conversation about guns. we got to the topic of .45's, and he actually tried to convince me that a .45 would knock you down, no matter where it hit you. and he was serious. his words were, "even if you just manage to hit a guy in the ear, it's going to knock him down." i didn't have the heart to destroy his dreams at the ripe age of probably 65 or 70, so i quickly ended the conversation and went inside.

18. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Yeah. Lots of idiots out there.

For a bullet to be able to "knock you down" it would have to knock down the person shooting the gun that fired it. Physics still applies even when the idiot telling you something doesn't get it.

There is one exception to physics though. All bets are off when talking about the MIGHTY .45!!!!!!!! That thing bends space-time. It harnesses energy from other dimensions. It's THOR'S HAMMER!!!!!!

19. Goat

I was looking through an old american rifleman last night and there was an article about winchesters first autoloading rifles. You could get them in .401 WSL (Winchester Self Loading) and there was a picture of an old ad for the caliber that featured Thor with his hammer and the words "STRIKES LIKE THOR'S HAMMER!" :mamoru:

20. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

I would love to have a copy of that ad. Would you scan or take a pic of it and email it to me?

It's a long running joke among the instructors I work with. The "one shot of .45 will kill a bear" and "firearms development peaked in the year 1911" guys are the best. Big bore bigots make baby Jesus cry.

21. Goat

Ask and ye shall receive:

[​IMG]

The flash kinda screwed it up, but it's not really hiding anything.