Buy a house they said. it will be great they said.

Mighty

Rainbows, unicorns, and butterflies.
OT Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
I see a starter. Is there a float that turns it on?

Jazz

Powerhouse of the Scrum
Mar 14, 2000
Whistler, BC
Bury the pipe under it taken to a city pumping station. Only sump pumps installed in my town are in houses that had the outer weeping tile fail.

I don’t think a homeowner owned sewage pump connected to city sewage would meet building code anywhere in Canada.

Sorry we have standards.
They’re all over the place in BC. Anywhere you have a mountain, you’ll see these. Most of the ones out here are in a utility room in the basement and not outside.

TS
TS
whatever

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
They’re all over the place in BC. Anywhere you have a mountain, you’ll see these. Most of the ones out here are in a utility room in the basement and not outside.

roughly how big are the pits? mine has to be every bit of 7' deep

Jazz

Powerhouse of the Scrum
Mar 14, 2000
Whistler, BC
roughly how big are the pits? mine has to be every bit of 7' deep
The ones I’ve seen are tiny compared to that - maybe twice the size of a 5 gallon bucket.

Here they’re rarely pressurized - mostly used on properties that are sloping downhill away from the street and pumping it up a foot or so above the city line so it can go to gravity from there.

Colleen

Apr 3, 2002
🇨🇦
the first failure I had was the check valve rusted out prior to the manual shut off valve. just can't win with this setup.

what i really need to do it go get my own street key.

I'm less high and this still baffles me.. from the pictures it still looks like a pressure issue.

And to clarify its not the pump broken rather just the pvc this time?

TS
TS
whatever

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
The ones I’ve seen are tiny compared to that - maybe twice the size of a 5 gallon bucket.

Here they’re rarely pressurized - mostly used on properties that are sloping downhill away from the street and pumping it up a foot or so above the city line so it can go to gravity from there.

ahhh yea. the bigger pit is meant to prevent short cycling.

Colleen

Apr 3, 2002
🇨🇦
I haven't seen anything like that around here. Lots of entire neighborhoods around here have holding tanks that get pumped out to the main lines but I've never seen a place where each individual house has their own. Interesting.
It's probably something you see more where I live than in a city.

Granted we have more septic tanks here vs pumps to toss it back into a city line.

Reactions: Boots
TS
TS
whatever

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
I'm less high and this still baffles me.. from the pictures it still looks like a pressure issue.

And to clarify its not the pump broken rather just the pvc this time?

there are 3 separate incidents i've been involved with.

2 at my house.
now this one at my neighbors.

this time the pump is smoked and burned out. why it burned out is still a mystery. clogged pipe? rock in the bottom? no idea.

Colleen

Apr 3, 2002
🇨🇦
there are 3 separate incidents i've been involved with.

2 at my house.
now this one at my neighbors.

this time the pump is smoked and burned out. why it burned out is still a mystery. clogged pipe? rock in the bottom? no idea.
Do you guys test your backflow preventers at all or service them?

Colleen

Apr 3, 2002
🇨🇦
they're under pressure all the time so the test is more of a oh shit it failed.

no servicing.
I've only ever had two backflow preventers fail in my 10 years.. one because rocks got in the line and fucked the valve up inside and the other was installed wrong/backwards :rofl:

Do you have any form of pressure reducer before the pump? Anything over 80psi and you're probably wearing down your check valves....

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman