GUN Calif. Newlywed Killed by Police in Case of Mistaken Identity

johnson

Nov 21, 2003
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,444667,00.html
ANAHEIM, Calif. — A newlywed killed by police after he stepped outside his home to confront suspected burglars was shot in a case of mistaken identity, police said.

Julian Alexander died after being shot twice in the chest by a police officer who was chasing four burglary suspects early Tuesday morning.

Police Chief John Welter said the officer ran into Alexander, mistook him for one of the four juvenile suspects and shot him.

"The last thing we ever want to do, No. 1, (is) take somebody's life," he said. "And we certainly don't want to take the life of someone who is mistakenly believed to be involved in some criminal activity."

"He was a good kid, trying to protect his house," said Alexander's mother-in-law Michelle Mooney. "And the police, instead of asking questions, they just shot first. Somebody has to be held responsible for this."

Welter would not release the officer's name, but said he was a 10-year veteran of the department. The officer was placed on paid leave pending an investigation.

"It's mistaken identity, but that doesn't bring my son back," said Alexander's father Jerry.

He said Alexander got married last weekend and his 19-year-old wife is expecting a baby in December.

Alexander's wife said she heard the gunshots and tried to go into the yard, but the officer told her to stay inside. From the window they saw Alexander handcuffed and bleeding in the front yard.

Paramedics treated him at the scene and took him to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The four burglary suspects were detained and interviewed, but no arrests were made.

Welter said investigators would interview the officer to determine what commands he gave to Alexander before he fired. Investigations will be conducted by the FBI, the Orange County Office of Independent Review and the district attorney's office, Welter said.

Admitted

I shouldn't be on OT right now.
Dec 11, 2006
Lawl School
Get his widow this.

a330_bm.gif

PanzerAce

OT Supporter
Feb 25, 2006
So the cop thought he was warranted to shoot at a burglary suspect.......that they couldn't even arrest :ugh:

vwpilot

Jan 9, 2005
That is pretty sketchy. Short of him running right at and attacking the cop with the broomstick, I dont see how there is any possibly justifiable reason that cop should have shot someone with only a broomstick in their hand.

smartypants

Jun 13, 2007
Post Bellum Atlanta
That is pretty sketchy. Short of him running right at and attacking the cop with the broomstick, I dont see how there is any possibly justifiable reason that cop should have shot someone with only a broomstick in their hand.

Broom stick is a weapon in and of itself, also looks like a gun.

On the other hand, maybe the cop fucked up.

twistid

Banged By Super Models
Jul 15, 2001
The Kansass/Oklahomo Border
they didn't even arrest the suspects, yet Officer Itchy Triggerfinger felt the need to blast someone he believed to be one of... something is either missing from the story, or there was a cop having a bad day.

Mikael

OT Supporter
Oct 20, 2005
its dark at night- he could have thought it was a gun

Keesh

Oct 26, 2003
Why anyone would walk outside if they heard gunshots is beyond me.

need more details but from the sound of it, it looks like the officer fucked up.

TwistedMind

Mar 20, 2004
this is very sad, however his kids going to have his education paid for and with a good financial adviser the wife will never have to work another day of her life.

GarandBobcat

Jan 21, 2007
Merced Co., CA
If you cant tell the difference between a broomstick and a gun you shouldnt be a cop
here's an idea:

Try it. Chase someone for a few minutes, after there have been shots fired, and have a buddy step out of a doorway holding a broomstick in a "guard" or semi port-arms position, while you're running, and adrenaline-soaked, breathing hard, etc.
See how you only get a couple milliseconds to make a decision?

Now try it in the dark.

I'm not by any means saying this is justifiable. I'm just saying that your "shouldn't be a cop" line is total crap.
The officer fucked up, it looks like, and in a very bad way, and I'd bet that the stress from the totality of the circumstances at hand was a major contributing factor.

And to the "detained but not arrested" bit, well, if the officer lost sight of his suspects for more than a couple minutes, the fresh pursuit rule starts to kick in. Plus you can't be 100% sure anymore that they're the same people without a positive ID.

Sounds like there's an awful lot to this story that isn't being said, and hopefully some of that comes out in the investigation(s).

twistid

Banged By Super Models
Jul 15, 2001
The Kansass/Oklahomo Border
here's an idea:

Try it. Chase someone for a few minutes, after there have been shots fired, and have a buddy step out of a doorway holding a broomstick in a "guard" or semi port-arms position, while you're running, and adrenaline-soaked, breathing hard, etc.
See how you only get a couple milliseconds to make a decision?

Now try it in the dark.

I'm not by any means saying this is justifiable. I'm just saying that your "shouldn't be a cop" line is total crap.
The officer fucked up, it looks like, and in a very bad way, and I'd bet that the stress from the totality of the circumstances at hand was a major contributing factor.

And to the "detained but not arrested" bit, well, if the officer lost sight of his suspects for more than a couple minutes, the fresh pursuit rule starts to kick in. Plus you can't be 100% sure anymore that they're the same people without a positive ID.

Sounds like there's an awful lot to this story that isn't being said, and hopefully some of that comes out in the investigation(s).

i must have missed it, but wasn't the only 2 shots the ones the cop fired???

GarandBobcat

Jan 21, 2007
Merced Co., CA
i must have missed it, but wasn't the only 2 shots the ones the cop fired???
oops. Guess so. Okay, so strike the part about shots fired.

Still a very high-stress and potentially high-risk situation.

Again, I'm not trying to excuse what happened, I'm just trying to point out that this probably isn't just a case of a cop who wanted to shoot someone to see if he could get away with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor