GUN can FFL ship handguns via UPS Ground?

s2k

OT Supporter
Oct 8, 2002
corn field, iowa
i have a gun being shipped to my FFL from another FFL and it's going through UPS Ground..........i thought all handguns must be overnighted if using UPS or Fedex? :dunno: am i wrong?

D-FENS

Nov 13, 2002
I've never heard of that myself, I don't know the law exactly on this, but I really don't see how it would make a difference considering that whether you ship ground or overnight, it's still gonna pass through several sets of hands that aren't FFLs or anything.

Then again, it's not like many gun laws are based in logic. :dunno:

kellyclan

She only loves you when she's drunk.
May 16, 2001
The next day thing is FedEx/UPS policy for non-account shipments.

If the FFL has an account with UPS, he may be able to use other shipping options.

yar1182

Mar 26, 2008
Ventura California
I am a FFL and previously worked at UPS for several years as a next day air supervisor. There is no law on how you have to ship a firearm except in regards to using the postal service. Many carriers have their own restrictions but it is not law.

UPS for non FFL's and FFL's
Firearms must be shipped next day air to a FFL. FFL # must be listed on package, and adult signature is required. You must take the package to a UPS center (ups store does not count, nor do drop boxes). Package must be declared as a firearm. FFL's may ship firearms directly back to the registered owner of the firearm (ex firearm was sent to FFL for gunsmithing or repair, it may be returned direct to customer.) If the customer has not dros'ed (dealer record of sale) the firearm then it must be shipped to the customers local FFL where it then can be dros'ed.

Fedex is pretty much the same but must be shipped priority overnight

USPS for non FFL
Non FFL's may only ship long guns (rifle/shotgun) and only within their own state. While it is not stated clearly the long gun must be shipped to a FFL unless the long gun is already dros'ed to the recipiant. The one exception is if the owner of the firearm is shipping a long gun to himself in the same state for the purposes of hunting. Then the long gun can be sent to a representative for this purpose. (ex you are going hunting by your dad's house who lives in the same state, you may ship him your rifle and then pick it up from him when you arrive. If sending a long gun out of state then it must be sent to a FFL. Long guns must be taken to a post office and no marking on packaging listing contents as a firearm. It's odd as USPS does not require non FFL's to state there is a firearm in the package.

USPS for FFL's
FFL's may ship firearms including handguns. A form 1508 must be filled out and brought to a post office with the package. The 1508 is round stamped and signed by the postal counter person and it is given to their supervisor. The package must not be labeled as a firearm.

We as a FFL mostly ship firearms usps priority mail insured. It is way less expensive than UPS. If the customer requests and pays we can ship ups next day air insured.

As far as our customers shipping to us we don't care how they ship as long as we get the package. Some FFL's will reject packages if they are shipped improperly (though the carrier).

If you ship a package inproperly though USPS I can see it being a legal issue for the sender. If you send it improperly through UPS or other common carrier and it gets lost then they accept no liability. Thus in the OP's question if his firearm sent ups ground get lost then he is SOL. Even if the package is insured $10k UPS is not obligated to pay at that point. The OP's FFL should of sent the package usps or ups NDA.

J_75

Oct 1, 2003
Wow, yar....good write up. Sometimes the amount of knowledge/experience of OT surprises me. But then I go look in the main forum, and I forget all about it.

TS
TS
s2k

s2k

OT Supporter
Oct 8, 2002
corn field, iowa
yeah that's what i thought, UPS next day air for handguns, how was this guy able to shipped it ground? anything i should worry about?

thegooch

Jan 5, 2008
No - I end up shipping handguns via ground all the time.

Good for you, you're not breaking the law per se but you are not adhering to UPS's policies regarding handgun shipments. Can you get away with shipping a gun UPS Ground? Sure you can if you don't tell them it's a gun. But if one were to get lost I'd imagine you'd be pretty fucked trying to get a claim approved when you intentionally did not adhere to the policy.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/re...es/firearms.html?srch_pos=1&srch_phr=firearms

Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921,will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air Services, specifically, UPS Next Day Air® Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, and UPS Next Day Air Saver®. (Note: UPS Express CriticalSM Service is not available for firearms).

Last edited:

thegooch

Jan 5, 2008
Notes on specific shippers:
US Mail: An unlicensed person can ship a rifle or shotgun by US Mail. Unlicensed persons cannot ship a handgun by US Mail. Postal regulations allow the Post Office to open your package for inspection. Ammunition cannot be shipped by US Mail. You can search the US Post Office Postal Explorer site for specific USPS regulations regarding firearms and ammunition.
FedEx Express: FedEx will only ship firearms via their Priority Overnight service. Ammunition must be shipped as hazardous goods via Ground in compliance with ORM-D.
FedEx Ground: FedEx Ground will transport and deliver firearms (excluding handguns) as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S. Ammunition must be shipped as hazardous goods via Ground in compliance with ORM-D.
UPS: UPS will accept handgun shipments by Next Day Air only. Rifles and shotguns can be shipped by UPS ground service. UPS will accept shipments of ammunition. Most other shippers will no longer accept firearm shipments. Airborne and Roadway have specifically prohibited firearm shipments.

THT

The easy way is always mined
Mar 16, 2005
The booby hatch
I am a FFL and previously worked at UPS for several years as a next day air supervisor. There is no law on how you have to ship a firearm except in regards to using the postal service. Many carriers have their own restrictions but it is not law.

UPS for non FFL's and FFL's
Firearms must be shipped next day air to a FFL. FFL # must be listed on package, and adult signature is required. You must take the package to a UPS center (ups store does not count, nor do drop boxes). Package must be declared as a firearm. FFL's may ship firearms directly back to the registered owner of the firearm (ex firearm was sent to FFL for gunsmithing or repair, it may be returned direct to customer.) If the customer has not dros'ed (dealer record of sale) the firearm then it must be shipped to the customers local FFL where it then can be dros'ed.

Fedex is pretty much the same but must be shipped priority overnight

USPS for non FFL
Non FFL's may only ship long guns (rifle/shotgun) and only within their own state. While it is not stated clearly the long gun must be shipped to a FFL unless the long gun is already dros'ed to the recipiant. The one exception is if the owner of the firearm is shipping a long gun to himself in the same state for the purposes of hunting. Then the long gun can be sent to a representative for this purpose. (ex you are going hunting by your dad's house who lives in the same state, you may ship him your rifle and then pick it up from him when you arrive. If sending a long gun out of state then it must be sent to a FFL. Long guns must be taken to a post office and no marking on packaging listing contents as a firearm. It's odd as USPS does not require non FFL's to state there is a firearm in the package.

USPS for FFL's
FFL's may ship firearms including handguns. A form 1508 must be filled out and brought to a post office with the package. The 1508 is round stamped and signed by the postal counter person and it is given to their supervisor. The package must not be labeled as a firearm.

We as a FFL mostly ship firearms usps priority mail insured. It is way less expensive than UPS. If the customer requests and pays we can ship ups next day air insured.

As far as our customers shipping to us we don't care how they ship as long as we get the package. Some FFL's will reject packages if they are shipped improperly (though the carrier).

If you ship a package inproperly though USPS I can see it being a legal issue for the sender. If you send it improperly through UPS or other common carrier and it gets lost then they accept no liability. Thus in the OP's question if his firearm sent ups ground get lost then he is SOL. Even if the package is insured $10k UPS is not obligated to pay at that point. The OP's FFL should of sent the package usps or ups NDA.

Long guns can go UPS Ground. This includes receivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448