GUN Can I join the military?

TaVeRaVe

Jul 26, 2008
even though i have just recently gained a bunch of weight (fat weight)
(hate to admit i didnt notice til a month ago)
i dont know what the requirements really are
i want to enlist but dont wanna make a fool of myself either
i was 124 pounds about 4/5 months ago now im at least 185 probably 190.
cant believe im still pretty athletic
i can jog a fair bit, can climb a rock wall, do pushups, but situps are a struggle

i know there must be certain requirements oh and i'm 5'8 and my waist is a 32 or so more like 33 realistically since i have to squeeze in to 32's.

i need some honest answers and pointers
thanks

25ouv81.png

2z589yx.png

sovc7q.jpg

TS
TS
TaVeRaVe

TaVeRaVe

Jul 26, 2008
Sorry for the photos being crazy sized I did thumbnails by accident on some. I actually used to have full on abs like six pack until last november IT SUCKS to be perfectly honest.

Blackfox

Mar 24, 2008
Need a bit more info. What branch and job. How old are you also. Make sure you go through the stickys.

TS
TS
TaVeRaVe

TaVeRaVe

Jul 26, 2008
I want to go into the marines or navy, anything that wont require too much physical stuff I'm more into desk stuff less high energy. & I'm trying to cut back im just hungry lately donno whats up but its hard for me to just maintain i realized this morning im still putting on more weight but i dont wanna end up fat...so hard to diet man
im 20 and just want a change. maybe the military can motivate me to start eating less often & quit snacking and shit. need to get that in check hate that i even gained 5 lbs to begin with. i still do the same stuff i didnt notice anything until i had to start squeezing into my jeans and was damn well shocked

thanks

Maffy29

Jan 5, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
I would say you need to get down to about 165lbs to get in. A friend of mine wanted to join the Air Force Reserve and they said he had to make the height and weight requirement to be considered. He could go above the weight limit afterward, but needed to be under to enlist. Probably be the same for you.

tan koi

I could be wrong, but aren't you the guy that binged like 100k calories in a week? Get some help for yourself first before you try out the military. When you feel like you're ready you'll be content with the fact that you can manage your weight. Like Maffy29 said, 165 is ideal for enlistment if you're 5'8".

TS
TS
TaVeRaVe

TaVeRaVe

Jul 26, 2008
I am not that guy, that guy is my best friends bro. He was in the Maui news and shit and i wanted to put it up. :)
So you all think i do have to cut up a little?
i mean im not obese is there a limit?
and i got caliper tested at 28% body fat which is i guess good (idk honestly)

TS
TS
TaVeRaVe

TaVeRaVe

Jul 26, 2008
so if i lose like 15 lbs i can gain em back after i get in...?
i really am struggling to even maintain
being honest im still am gaining a few lbs a week
i wanna know what i have to do like athletically

mrduke

Jun 1, 2004
WA
Navy standards:

Maximum allowable weight for 5'8" is 181lbs
Max body fat for your age is 22%

You're far enough out of standards that you'll probably be turned away at MEPS if you go in right now. You probably won't even make it past the recruiter to be honest. Most recruiters run a PT program for their DEP'ers so if you can get within standards and get through MEPS you'll be able to PT with them until you ship to boot camp.

That being said, the military isn't going to turn you into a motivated person overnight. You need personal motivation to get into shape and take care of yourself, and only then think about talking to a recruiter.

Blackfox

Mar 24, 2008
Navy standards:

Maximum allowable weight for 5'8" is 181lbs
Max body fat for your age is 22%

You're far enough out of standards that you'll probably be turned away at MEPS if you go in right now. You probably won't even make it past the recruiter to be honest. Most recruiters run a PT program for their DEP'ers so if you can get within standards and get through MEPS you'll be able to PT with them until you ship to boot camp.

That being said, the military isn't going to turn you into a motivated person overnight. You need personal motivation to get into shape and take care of yourself, and only then think about talking to a recruiter.

I was gonna say the thing about PT with the recruiter. Honestly bro, you need to get on some kind of schedule first off. Get up in the morning and run a couple of times a week and on the days you don't do some kind of other work out but keep it intense. If you are gaining weight as fast as you say it just might be your lack of physical activity. You are only 20 years old so it shouldn't be that hard to get into shape. You don't need to be a super star before you join but you need to at least have a base and be in shape. Physical ability is an easy way to separate yourself from your peers.

patt

Nov 29, 2009
detroit, MI
stop eating fastfood and other junks
only drink water
your body won't change if you don't change anything in your lifestyle

TS
TS
TaVeRaVe

TaVeRaVe

Jul 26, 2008
dammit i hate exercising. i admit i pretend to work out but i only run when i have to for things like idk, having to try a mile. but i definitely lack physical activity. its hard to get motivated because i forget i am as heavy as ive gotten and dont care usually...but i need to lose fat i thought u needed to be under 30%
i need to be forced to stop eating so much and forced to work out, because im too lazy to myself

Off

Memento Mori
Feb 1, 2005
Wainwright, Ab, CA
As stated before if you cant motivate yourself, dont bother with the military. During basic and shit, yea, there will be somebody standing there holding your hand/forcing you to do this and that. After that though, its up to you, your supervisors will have real jobs to do and wont have the time to watch you 24/7.

I also hate PT as a whole, I cant just go to the gym and run on a treadmill for an hour, I have ADD and get bored really fast, so I just do stuff that I like, mainly, I play sports everyday, or if I need to run, I do it outside with music destroying my ears so I dont get bored. Find something that you like and do it. As for eating, control yourself. Do some research, there are plenty of ways to get around being hungry all the time.

NEp8ntballer

Mar 22, 2006
wait until after you have the baby...

seriously, if it wasn't for the lack of tits in the pic I'd swear you were preggo

Alexqzilla

Dec 23, 2006
East Bay, California
dammit i hate exercising. i admit i pretend to work out but i only run when i have to for things like idk, having to try a mile. but i definitely lack physical activity. its hard to get motivated because i forget i am as heavy as ive gotten and dont care usually...but i need to lose fat i thought u needed to be under 30%
i need to be forced to stop eating so much and forced to work out, because im too lazy to myself
I'm not very athletic either, and the thought of having to become athletic was the biggest turn off when I considered enlistment (besides quitting pot)

Ultimately though you have to sort out your thoughts and weigh them against one another and decide what's worth going for.

I realized that not wanting to start exercising and stop smoking pot were just weaknesses and if I wasn't willing to conquer them in order to advance myself I would wind up nowhere in life.

If you don't conquer your weaknesses, you're a slave to them. Make commitments to yourself.

bigfodee

Apr 29, 2002
to be honest, i think a lot of people that lack motivation and choose to join the military to correct that can end up worse off - especially for physical training

at the very least, at boot camp and MCT (unless you go 03xx, in which case i will laugh at you endlessly) they are going to run your ass off, and if you don't have the motivation on your own to improve your body... you're probably going to the one of the fatasses always falling out of runs and crying about getting page 11'ed for weight, then putting 13 ranches on his salad and saying he ate right

once theres no one to force you to wake up and PT its pretty damn easy to blow up like a whale.

maybe thats you, maybe its not. just sayin theres plenty of people that join gyms thinking that think if they are paying every month itll force them to go, and this doesn't sound much different.

best of luck with whatever you decide :bigthumb:

Murq

Mar 31, 2011
Charles Towne
Yes, you can join the military like that, provided you can pass the fitness test.

3mile >27min
100 crunches
2+ pullups minimum.

If you can exceed that, they will overlook your bodyfat % as you will likely drop much of that in boot anyways..

I'm speaking Marine standards here and no other.. from my memory, I think Navy/Army/Airforce is much more lax.

Murq

Mar 31, 2011
Charles Towne
That's not the only issue here though.

True. Depending on what unit you end up with, the motivation for PT is no longer forced after you get out of boot/jobtraining. My unit in CA only did group PT about twice a month, but then other units do group PT every day.. so it depends.

The way I read this though was, he used to be skinny/fit and he gained 50 lbs... the laziness compounded into lower morale/motivation/laziness..

I was in a similar boat however.. I was state champion swimmer 140lbs freshman year in highschool... by senior year I was 180lbs.. by end of boot camp I was back to 140 and have stayed there since. It's easier to motivate yourself to exercise when you're already in decent shape.

One thing the military provides ample amounts of is pressure to not be a 'fatbody'. You'll get motivation from just wanting people to stfu about your weight. :ugh2:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright Ā© 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DSimnovec