ART car photo shoot ideas

themolsen

Sep 29, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
My g/f just got a nice G35 in a beautiful medium blue. She wants to go somewhere and get some photos of it and I was thinking somewhere at sunset might be nice for the blue/orange combo.

What kind of lighting or composition tips can you give me?

I've never done in car photos before, but have seen many and read about some techniques.

I was thinking about doing that shoot right after the sun is below the horizon so the sky is orange but the ambient light is pretty low. Then do a long enough shutter speed that I can light paint most of the car with a flash.

But really, I'm not sure. There will be lots of experimenting. Any tips so I don't waste TOO much time?

aCab

Jun 1, 2007
Chicaaago
Posing is important, as is composition and location.

Make sure the car is clean.

If you shoot after the sun has gone down and you are using a flash to paint the car, make sure you do it evenly.

TS
TS
themolsen

themolsen

Sep 29, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
what kind of positioning do you recommend? angled with wheels turned a bit to show rims? and what about camera height?

cool shots, btw, regrets

aCab

Jun 1, 2007
Chicaaago
not the best, but this if my fav:

2958110909_85329ea6db_o.jpg

BumbleBeeTuna

excuse me, your balls are showing
OT Supporter
Oct 13, 2002
CA
what kind of positioning do you recommend? angled with wheels turned a bit to show rims? and what about camera height?

cool shots, btw, regrets
for the usual, typical is 3/4 with the wheels turned so that you can see the face of the wheels. Be SURE to either have the wheels straight or turned the correct way. Shooting from up high makes the car seem lower, shooting from way down low (lying on the ground) can make for some interesting angles as well. Do you have a CPL?

mrtwo

Jul 19, 2005
わいは
heres another, friends shot .. like acabs angle,

n6709429_35600627_1686.jpg

strobes to the left aiming at rear wheel and another on the right aiming at foglight if i can recall. and also master aiming at front turned wheel.

BumbleBeeTuna

excuse me, your balls are showing
OT Supporter
Oct 13, 2002
CA
I still need to try shooting cars with off camera flash for the first time :noes:

Easton

Aug 10, 2004
if it's a dark car, shoot under soft light

if it's a bright car, shoot under soft light - but it can work under midday sun as well, as long as you have the sun behind you.

Do the classic front 3/4 like those guys have shown you.

Devin

Feb 16, 2007
Colorado

if it's a bright car, shoot under soft light - but it can work under midday sun as well, as long as you have the sun behind you.

when the crap did you show up on here :noes:

1992 240SX

Jan 10, 2004
Long Beach, CA
Is it only my computer that Devin's website doesnt work? I tried it on Explorer and it worked but it's not working on Firefox, just giving you a heads up.

TurkeyChicken

Jun 26, 2003
Albuquerque, NM
get a couple strobes and set them up on either side of the car. get up high so you can overlook the sunset. I did something similar with my motorcycle a month or two ago.

I only had one strobe so i had to hit the test button twice while the camera was exposing :o

DSC_0229.jpg

AmosBanks

Aug 19, 2004
Chicago, IL
I own an Evo and there is a big forum for Evo owners. I am sure there's one for G35 owners too and you can get ideas from the Show and Shine threads. I am about the last person to criticize another's photo, but some of the car forum shots make me want to scream. You can use the G35 forum for composure ideas and this forum for the rest!

HighTachPres

Jan 23, 2004
Greenville, SC

no wai!
Mr. Chang?!?!?
haha for once i can call you a noob for your join date :rofl:
It's Clint Davis :wavey:

haikii

Mar 11, 2008
I had no idea Easton was so famous :| thought he was just a well known Aussie photographer... god damn

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor