Carbon Emissions dropped 12% in US due to pandemic

sans_pants

I don't want any damn vegetables
May 2, 2002

Scientists say this drop is chiefly because people are staying home, traveling less by car and plane, and that emissions are expected to jump back up after the pandemic ends. Ground transportation makes up about one-fifth of emissions of carbon dioxide, the chief man-made heat-trapping gas.

“Of course, lockdown is absolutely not the way to tackle climate change,” said study co-author Corinne LeQuere, a climate scientist at the University of East Anglia.
Emissions dropped 12% in the United States and 11% in Europe, but only 1.7% in China. That’s because China had an earlier lockdown with less of a second wave. Also China’s emissions are more industrial based than other countries and its industry was less affected than transportation, LeQuere said.

Even with the drop in 2020, the world on average put 1,185 tons (1,075 metric tons) of carbon dioxide into the air every second.

Final figures for 2019 published in the same study show that from 2018 to 2019 emissions of the main man-made heat-trapping gas increased only 0.1%, much smaller than annual jumps of around 3% a decade or two ago. Even with emissions expected to rise after the pandemic, scientists are wondering if 2019 be the peak of carbon pollution, LeQuere said.

MWHC22

Bier/Deutsch/Homebrew/ Packers/Blackhawks/Outdoor
May 10, 2001
Wisconsin/Utah
yeah man... pollution overall of all kinds dropped by massive amounts this year. who would have thunk that people don't pollute at home but are fine with it as they move about the world since thats not where they live?

TS
TS
sans_pants

sans_pants

May 2, 2002
yeah man... pollution overall of all kinds dropped by massive amounts this year. who would have thunk that people don't pollute at home but are fine with it as they move about the world since thats not where they live?

what?

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004

what

Reactions: canning

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
Step 1 - people stay at home
Step 2 - people don't pollute as much as normal
Step 3 - ?????
Step 4 - Profit!

who would have thunk it?

the people who say transportation doesnt cause emissions to materially change. those people.

mdaniel

S is for Shiksa
May 6, 2000
NW Mejicooooooo
the people who say transportation doesnt cause emissions to materially change. those people.

Of course transportation causes emissions, but so does everybody newly working and schooling from home all day running the heat, lights, and air conditioning. My utility bills went up significantly starting in March and I don't even have AC.

FutureMan

On the rights of your wealth, I disagree
OT Supporter
Of course transportation causes emissions, but so does everybody newly working and schooling from home all day running the heat, lights, and air conditioning. My utility bills went up significantly starting in March and I don't even have AC.
So you’re saying the 7% drop in co2 emissions is fake news?

Reactions: canning

The Great Deceiver

21st Century Schizoid Man
May 27, 2006
Get ready for climate lockdowns after covid is done. Of course it will only apply to regular people. High-value business travelers (rich elite) will be exempt from travel restrictions though. This is build back better and the SDG for Agenda 2030.

Reactions: stevezissou

whatever

OT Supporter
Feb 18, 2004
dont be that guy. you're being that guy right now.

TS
TS
sans_pants

sans_pants

May 2, 2002
Get ready for climate lockdowns after covid is done. Of course it will only apply to regular people. High-value business travelers (rich elite) will be exempt from travel restrictions though. This is build back better and the SDG for Agenda 2030.

shut the fuck up nazi

• Haha
Reactions: Souppishdawg
TS
TS
sans_pants

sans_pants

May 2, 2002

so the drop didnt happen?

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman