Cars with "auto-drive"

B-Line

*****d[-_-]b*****
OT Supporter
Mar 8, 2009
Los Angeles
I don't have it. I don't really understand it.
In practice, you still have to pay attention to the road and keep your hand on the wheel.
So how is this better than just driving the car?

You can't text. You can't sleep. You can't watch movies. Isn't it just a novelty?

I'm ask because at some point I might get a new car and am seeing the auto drive as a fairly expensive option. It would make sense to me if you could fuck off and just let the car drive. But even the new Cadillac system has a camera that makes sure you're paying attention to the road and not texting.

Those of you with auto drive, what's the big deal? I'm not shitting on it, just trying to understand the value of the option.

phat🐄

#meltdowns are NOT based off post count
Oct 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Ive had two cars with "auto drive"

1) SPA XC90 with Pilot Assist
2) Tesla Model 3 with autopilot without FSD

they both work about the same and with the same limitations such as hands on wheels every x time so the car knows youre not napping
both have non perfect accuracy when dealing with objects on the road and bad weather

Reactions: Dick Dale

Trungtastic

OT Supporter
Apr 7, 2002
Austin
Ive had two cars with "auto drive"

1) SPA XC90 with Pilot Assist
2) Tesla Model 3 with autopilot without FSD

they both work about the same and with the same limitations such as hands on wheels every x time so the car knows youre not napping
both have non perfect accuracy when dealing with objects on the road and bad weather
you make it sound pointless lol

Topgun

OT Supporter
May 23, 2003
MN
from my experience it makes long road trips less tiring, yeah you still have to pay attention, but it's definitely different.

phat🐄

Oct 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
The upside of this is for long road trips you do get less fatigue than if you constantly have to turn the wheel without assistance and monitor speeds (tho radar cruise control is really helpful in this case)

TS
TS
B-Line

B-Line

*****d[-_-]b*****
OT Supporter
Mar 8, 2009
Los Angeles
Tesla Crew be sure to come in here and throw down a :scootin:
I'm not shitting on it. I just don't understand the benefit of watching the car drive.
I'm all for vehicles that don't need oversight. Sign me up.
But if I'm driving up to the mountains and still have to "pay attention" then what's the point? Especially for a $8k-$10k option. And monthly fees on the option.

TS
TS
B-Line

B-Line

*****d[-_-]b*****
OT Supporter
Mar 8, 2009
Los Angeles
The upside of this is for long road trips you do get less fatigue than if you constantly have to turn the wheel without assistance and monitor speeds (tho radar cruise control is really helpful in this case)
My current vehicle has distance gauging cruise control.. It's alright.

TS
TS
B-Line

B-Line

*****d[-_-]b*****
OT Supporter
Mar 8, 2009
Los Angeles
I feel like I would be more fatigued by NOT DRIVING but having to pay attention to the car driving.

phat🐄

Oct 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I'm not shitting on it. I just don't understand the benefit of watching the car drive.
I'm all for vehicles that don't need oversight. Sign me up.
But if I'm driving up to the mountains and still have to "pay attention" then what's the point? Especially for a $8k-$10k option. And monthly fees on the option.
theres no monthly fee

it will handle going up mountains just fine though mountains = moutain lions and deer and you GOTTA watch out technology or knot.

TS
TS
B-Line

B-Line

*****d[-_-]b*****
OT Supporter
Mar 8, 2009
Los Angeles
theres no monthly fee

it will handle going up mountains just fine though mountains = moutain lions and deer and you GOTTA watch out technology or knot.

The "Super Cruise" feature which is Cadillac's system and allegedly better than Tesla's, supposedly has a monthly fee. It also has a camera that monitors your actual attention to the vehicles autopilot.

phat🐄

Oct 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I feel like I would be more fatigued by NOT DRIVING but having to pay attention to the car driving.
next trip you go to vegas you should rent a volvo and see if it adds value to your driving. for some people they like being engaged all 4 hours, but some want to be able to relax a bit

i do feel less fatigued if i drive with my tesla than my old ass 2014 BMW without this tech

Reactions: Lit Wick87

phat🐄

Oct 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
The "Super Cruise" feature which is Cadillac's system and allegedly better than Tesla's, supposedly has a monthly fee. It also has a camera that monitors your actual attention to the vehicles autopilot.
the Cadillac is good shit BUT i read that it only supports some roads read: major highways and roads

maybe that super cruise payment is for the data and road updates

sams0n

$
Oct 7, 2004
Daly City, CA
there was a story a while back about how you can wedge an orange into the steering wheel and then you didn't have to keep your hand on the wheel.

TS
TS
B-Line

B-Line

*****d[-_-]b*****
OT Supporter
Mar 8, 2009
Los Angeles
next trip you go to vegas you should rent a volvo and see if it adds value to your driving. for some people they like being engaged all 4 hours, but some want to be able to relax a bit

i do feel less fatigued if i drive with my tesla than my old ass 2014 BMW without this tech
I have a place in Mammoth. I do the drive about 15x a year. So the idea of a auto pilot has it's appeal. But when I read about it, it sounds less and less appealing.
I was looking at the new Escalade as a replacement for the Rover but as I delved deeper into "Super Cruise" it sounded less and less appealing.
- Monthly fee (after year 3)
- Expensive option
- Camera that monitors alertness

I love to drive. But I'd also like an auto pilot for long drives. But I don't think I want an auto pilot that I have to constantly babysit.

Reactions: phat🐄
TS
TS
B-Line

B-Line

*****d[-_-]b*****
OT Supporter
Mar 8, 2009
Los Angeles
there was a story a while back about how you can wedge an orange into the steering wheel and then you didn't have to keep your hand on the wheel.
You can actually buy a cup holder to trick the car into thinking your hand is on the wheel. But I'm sure the negligence on something like that would be profound if something bad ever happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan