Sonnen Ready to Tangle with WEC and UFC Champs by John Morgan [john-morgan] on Mar 27, 2008 at 6:41 pm in - News - Riding high after an absolutely dominating 30-26, 30-25, 30-25 unanimous decision victory over previously undefeated Bryan Baker (6-1), WEC middleweight contender Chael Sonnen (20-9-1) is ready to take on all comers. And first on his list is UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva (21-4). Sonnen discussed his desire to transition to the UFC, as well as a possible upcoming rematch with personally embattled WEC middleweight champion Paulo Filho (16-0), on today's edition of TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), a content partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I sent an email to (UFC and WEC matchmaker) Joe Silva when I thought I was competing with Paulo, and I just said 'Look, I'm going to beat up Paulo, and I'm going to call out Anderson,'" Sonnen said. "'Am I going to look like a fool, or does that interest you?' And he wrote me back pretty candidly, and said 'You're wasting your time. We're not going to inter-mingle the two promotions right now. You're not going to get to fight Anderson.'" But with Zuffa seemingly holding true to its word to maintain the UFC and WEC as separate entities, Sonnen does not feel the door is closed on an eventual match-up with Silva. In fact, the soon-to-be 31-year-old Oregonian feels the bout is inevitable. "My argument to Joe Silva was very simple," Sonnen reasoned. "I'm the only guy under Zuffa contract, one with the courage to fight (Silva) and two, with the physical ability to beat him. So, at some point, when all the guys under Zuffa contract find a million reasons not to get in there with him, and I'm the only guy for him, not only will I get in there with him, I want in there with him. They're going to have to make that match happen." The Sonnen-Baker fight was a late addition to this Wednesday's WEC card, as Sonnen was originally scheduled to compete in a rematch of a loss at WEC 31, against Paulo Filho. The fight was scrapped when Filho pulled out to deal with personal issues, including depression and possible chemical dependency concerns. Recent reports out of Brazil have suggested that Filho was simply not training properly, and the middleweight had grown to 230-plus pounds. Sonnen wants the fight bad enough that he's willing to take Filho on at any weight class. "I want to win that championship; that's one goal," Sonnen explained. "I also want to beat Paulo Filho; that's another. If I can't complete both of those at the same time, that's fine. I will fight Paulo when he weighs 230 pounds I've never said he needs to come down and weigh 'X' amount. I've never set a goal to beat a 185-pound Paulo Filho. The plan is to beat up Paulo Filho, and that's where it ends. If he wants to weigh 230, I'm not going to complain. "So if we can put the fight together, if he wants to meet at 205, (or) if he wants to just make it a heavyweight fight, again, we're not going to complain on the contract there." Sonnen said he did not know when his next fight would take place, but a return date at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Vegas at an as-yet-unannounced August date was a possibility. Sonnen expressed his desire to make a quicker return, however, and find a spot on the WEC's June 1 card in Sacramento, Calif. "I'll be back in the gym tomorrow, so that would be great to be able to go again in two months."