ENT Chappelle’s Show removed from Netflix after request from Dave Chappelle

SBrooks1

@ComicConScott
OT Supporter
Nov 28, 2002
Virginia
“People think I made a lot of money from Chappelle’s Show,” Chappelle says in the video, filmed during a recent standup set, in which he reminisces about his comedy career. “When I left that show I never got paid. They (ViacomCBS) didn’t have to pay me because I signed the contract. But is that right? I found out that these people were streaming my work and they never had to ask me or they never have to tell me. Perfectly legal ‘cause I signed the contract. But is that right? I didn’t think so either. That’s why I like working for Netflix. I like working for Netflix because when all those bad things happened to me, that company didn’t even exist. And when I found out they were streaming Chappelle’s Show, I was furious. How could they not– how could they not know? So you know what I did? I called them and I told them that this makes me feel bad. And you want to know what they did? They agreed that they would take it off their platform just so I could feel better. That’s why I f*ck with Netflix. Because they paid me my money, they do what they say they’re going to do, and they went above and beyond what you could expect from a businessman. They did something just because they thought that I might think that they were wrong. And I do — I think that if you are f*cking streaming that show you’re fencing stolen goods.”

TS
TS
SBrooks1

SBrooks1

@ComicConScott
OT Supporter
Nov 28, 2002
Virginia
Hey thanks for the update on pop culture and entertainment
I can do this all day

source.gif

stevezissou

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2009
US
I understand both sides of this.

Chappelle show was WAY before streaming days, so streaming rights/royalties most likely weren't in his contract.

Comedy central wasn't happy with him "walking" in the middle of his 3rd season after he signed a fat contract.

Dave wants to get paid for work he already did.

Netflix wants to keep Dave happy.

Plenty of blame to go around.

Divine

OT Supporter
Dec 31, 2004
Charlotte
They don't want to piss him off, he can just release his specials on amazon, etc
Netflix pays Dave $20 million+ per special. Not sure anyone else would pay him that much but its mutually beneficial. and brings in much more subscribers then old episodes of a 15+ year old show.

Genius/GZA

Dec 23, 2003
Dallas, TX
I understand both sides of this.

Chappelle show was WAY before streaming days, so streaming rights/royalties most likely weren't in his contract.

Comedy central wasn't happy with him "walking" in the middle of his 3rd season after he signed a fat contract.

Dave wants to get paid for work he already did.

Netflix wants to keep Dave happy.

Plenty of blame to go around.
Oh shit you’re alive?:rofl:

Leonard Washington

Aug 15, 2004
they did that because they thought they could make more money off his new stuff than having the old stuff available. it wasn't out of the kindness of their hearts.

ding ding

the specials he keeps cranking out will get way more viewers than his show that aired when most millennials were 4 years old

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan