CREW Chase Sapphire Reserve v. Churn/Award Travel Crew

couchlock

digital nomad
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
The Highway
Ah but dont forget, it goes by the day when you last *bonused* not your approval date...so I'd add 3 months on to that date
Just got off the phone w Chase, I’m out of CSR crew :wtc: product changed to another regular freedom card, apparently the freedom flex is a Mastercard and ain’t nobody got time for that

i instantly feel incredibly poor

dude told me the same thing, best to wait 3 months before reapplying, hopefully the CSP promo offer is still there :x:

he told me I can try it 30 days afterwards, he said it should instant deny me if I don’t qualify for the promo yet; with no credit pull

• Haha
Reactions: Chuck Finley

Figori

Taking BRC to the EXTREME. Bitch I operate.
OT Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
Somewhere near the Pentagon...
$179 for Clear-This is only for 1 year's cost. I've heard this is much better than the above, which makes me wonder how valuable is Precheck if you have Clear? Didnt realize Clear was so expensive, would be nice if it was longer than a year. Do my travelers on the same ticket get the benefit? If not than I'm just waiting on my GF after I get through quicker
So, Clear is different. You still have PreCheck or Regular (Non PreCheck) with Clear. But with Clear you get front of line. And it's only for you. You have to pay extra to add other people.

I first got it for free when I made (United) 1k. Paid for it for a year after I didn't make 1k (at a reduced rate), and just re-made 1k to get another free year. It has seriously helped in airports like Atlanta where things are crazy.

And I was travelling last week and haven't seen this many people in the airport since right before COVID stopped travel. Dulles was SLAMMED.

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
Got a letter in the mail from chase saying they are increasing my AF to 550 next year, so I'm officially out it seems. I mention this because a lot of people had gotten a letter saying they are getting a credit for $100 for their next AF still.

So ill have to decide what to do with the points I've got rn

Reactions: SuperGriff34

bearsdidit

May 8, 2004
San Diego, CA
Got a letter in the mail from chase saying they are increasing my AF to 550 next year, so I'm officially out it seems. I mention this because a lot of people had gotten a letter saying they are getting a credit for $100 for their next AF still.

Try calling in? I remember people having good luck with that the first time.

Capt. Hammer

Purveyor of Bespoke Photoshop ROFLs and LOLs
OT Supporter
Jun 14, 2003
The Lone Star State

Do you carry a balance? Do you guys just not take advantage of the benefits? I am confused by people closing their cards because of a $100 AF increase.

I mean, shit... Even with an authorized user, a $550 + $75 annual fee ($625 total) is still far outweighed by the benefits that the CSR provides us.

For example, just so far in 2021:

-$625 for the annual fee
+$300 travel credit
+$91 peloton credit
+$60 doordash credit
+$3,428 in statement credits with pay-yourself-back

I would have lost $3,254 so far in 2021 if I had closed my CSR. By the end of the year, it will probably be closer to $6K. Hell, they could raise the annual fee to $5,000 and I'd still be making money with this card.

Reactions: AndyP

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
Do you carry a balance? Do you guys just not take advantage of the benefits? I am confused by people closing their cards because of a $100 AF increase.

I mean, shit... Even with an authorized user, a $550 + $75 annual fee ($625 total) is still far outweighed by the benefits that the CSR provides us.

For example, just so far in 2021:

-$625 for the annual fee
+$300 travel credit
+$91 peloton credit
+$60 doordash credit
+$3,428 in statement credits with pay-yourself-back

I would have lost $3,254 so far in 2021 if I had closed my CSR. By the end of the year, it will probably be closer to $6K. Hell, they could raise the annual fee to $5,000 and I'd still be making money with this card.
Never in my life have I ever had a balance. I'm a frugal bitch so I'm not one to throw money away for no reason.

I used to for sure get my benefit out of the CSR. It was easy to do so since the effective AF was only $150, so it was easy to get that value out of the card with lounges and other perks.

Pelaton - This benefit has an end of the year end date, also I'd never in my life consider spending thousands of dollars on an exercise bike and then another several hundred dollars a year to be able to use my own exercise bike, so thats not a thing for me. It might be continuing on but only for new members in their 1st year
Door Dash-This credit will be ending, its not expected to beman annual one. The only time Ive used Door Dash was to redeem the credit. This could continue for new card holders in the first year only.
Statement credits are also ending this year but are fairly useful I agree...I use most of my points just for SW/Hyatt which is only 1.5x-2x so its not like I'm redeeming at 10x. So I'll take free dining for 1.5x, but I've been trying hard not to spend money on food much this year so it hasn't been *that* beneficial...but I'm in no way disagreeing with it being a nice perk while its there

But with Covid and my personal situation, I haven't flown in 2 years. With the rental car shit, I'm probably not flying until around Christmas time to NYC. Been driving any trips Ive taken. I only flew 2-4x a year before anyway, but like I said it was worth it. Also lounges have been closed for so long and aren't all open yet and I wouldn't be surprised if a decent chunk of them didnt reopen, but I could be wrong.

So after this year if we are to assume the DoorDash, Pay Yourself Back, Lyft Pink and Pelaton benefits are ending at the end of 2021, we are left with a $250 AF instead of a $150 and I'm personally not even going to be using the benefits anymore this year, and the only extra "perk" I really care about (lounges) I wont be using as much in the future. Even on the one flight I'm planning to do into one of the biggest cities in the world doesnt even have a PP lounge in it. My home airport has/had a restaurant in it I used to eat for free at when I flew when I could, and it's still temporarily closed.

So at least for me by the time my $550 AF comes around, it just wont be worth it to me anymore. At this point all I will really need is a way to transfer points out. If they extend all the stuff they have now as a permanent benefit, then I'd strongly consider keeping it.

Reactions: Capt. Hammer

Ichinichi

gots me dat midas touch
May 8, 2001
Downgraded CSR last week to Freedom Unlimited. Just applied for the CSP yesterday and approved, applied for CSR this morning and they said check back 30 days, called in and they wanted me to verify income and approved. Double Dip works.
Huh this could be worthwhile. What if we already have freedom cards?

What's the total bonus after modDD?

I also have an EIN now as well. What do?

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois

If you have an EIN get them biz cards, especially the CIP 100k. Although you dont need an EIN to get biz cards. You can get the CIU/CIC/CIP under your SSN, and then the same 3 under your EIN.

I hit all the biz cards up a few years ago under my SSN, and then got an EIN this year and got the 100k CIP bonus, and just applied for the CIU 75k a few mins ago. I'll hit the CIC after that while mixing in the 9% Flex grocery this quarter and 5% on the Freedom along the way.

Then its on to the SW CP for 22/23 along with the 135k or so points you earn in earning it.

Capt. Hammer

Purveyor of Bespoke Photoshop ROFLs and LOLs
OT Supporter
Jun 14, 2003
The Lone Star State
Never in my life have I ever had a balance. I'm a frugal bitch so I'm not one to throw money away for no reason.

I used to for sure get my benefit out of the CSR. It was easy to do so since the effective AF was only $150, so it was easy to get that value out of the card with lounges and other perks.

Pelaton - This benefit has an end of the year end date, also I'd never in my life consider spending thousands of dollars on an exercise bike and then another several hundred dollars a year to be able to use my own exercise bike, so thats not a thing for me. It might be continuing on but only for new members in their 1st year
Door Dash-This credit will be ending, its not expected to beman annual one. The only time Ive used Door Dash was to redeem the credit. This could continue for new card holders in the first year only.
Statement credits are also ending this year but are fairly useful I agree...I use most of my points just for SW/Hyatt which is only 1.5x-2x so its not like I'm redeeming at 10x. So I'll take free dining for 1.5x, but I've been trying hard not to spend money on food much this year so it hasn't been *that* beneficial...but I'm in no way disagreeing with it being a nice perk while its there

But with Covid and my personal situation, I haven't flown in 2 years. With the rental car shit, I'm probably not flying until around Christmas time to NYC. Been driving any trips Ive taken. I only flew 2-4x a year before anyway, but like I said it was worth it. Also lounges have been closed for so long and aren't all open yet and I wouldn't be surprised if a decent chunk of them didnt reopen, but I could be wrong.

So after this year if we are to assume the DoorDash, Pay Yourself Back, Lyft Pink and Pelaton benefits are ending at the end of 2021, we are left with a $250 AF instead of a $150 and I'm personally not even going to be using the benefits anymore this year, and the only extra "perk" I really care about (lounges) I wont be using as much in the future. Even on the one flight I'm planning to do into one of the biggest cities in the world doesnt even have a PP lounge in it. My home airport has/had a restaurant in it I used to eat for free at when I flew when I could, and it's still temporarily closed.

So at least for me by the time my $550 AF comes around, it just wont be worth it to me anymore. At this point all I will really need is a way to transfer points out. If they extend all the stuff they have now as a permanent benefit, then I'd strongly consider keeping it.

I agree. If they nuke Pay Yourself Back, I'm probably going to move to the CSP.

Reactions: JeffSTL

Ichinichi

gots me dat midas touch
May 8, 2001
If you have an EIN get them biz cards, especially the CIP 100k. Although you dont need an EIN to get biz cards. You can get the CIU/CIC/CIP under your SSN, and then the same 3 under your EIN.

I hit all the biz cards up a few years ago under my SSN, and then got an EIN this year and got the 100k CIP bonus, and just applied for the CIU 75k a few mins ago. I'll hit the CIC after that while mixing in the 9% Flex grocery this quarter and 5% on the Freedom along the way.

Then its on to the SW CP for 22/23 along with the 135k or so points you earn in earning it.
You just going for a high-score or what?

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois

Also you can have more than one whatever card if you do a downgrade/product change. So you can have a couple CFUs, CFFs etc which can also help if you're gonna spend more than $1500 a quarter for the bonus category

Ichinichi

gots me dat midas touch
May 8, 2001
Also you can have more than one whatever card if you do a downgrade/product change. So you can have a couple CFUs, CFFs etc which can also help if you're gonna spend more than $1500 a quarter for the bonus category
dang.

do you keep an excel of all these? how many points are you generating after all this effort?

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
You just going for a high-score or what?
I feel good about my shit until I see people with millions of points :rofl:

I dont have *that* many points and I'll be using them here and there. I've got about 80k left under my personal account and 120k or so I earned for the EIN CIP. I had half a million last year but I used a ton for pay yourself back for groceries and food and then a flight (that I canceled and now Chase holds the flight credit I have to use by Jan)

I used to focus so much on the bonus spending rate and not ways to get new SUBs but now I realize SUBs are worth way more. I'm trying to just go slow with them and keep a good relationship with Chase.

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
dang.

do you keep an excel of all these? how many points are you generating after all this effort?
I dont have multiple of those cards (other than having a Freedom and a Freedom Flex) but its something you can do to avoid canceling which Chase doesnt like.

One thing thats helped me a lot in the last year or so with points and hitting high SUB is I have my mom/stepdad uses my cards and for my Dad/stepmom I buy everything for them as I'm their caretaker, and then they all settle up. So if you think there's a chance that you can get a SO or parents on board and trust them to pay you back, it helps.

Ichinichi

gots me dat midas touch
May 8, 2001
Looks like
CSP SUB is 100k
CIP SUB is 100k
CSR SUB is 60k

Not seeing SUB points for CIU nor CIC?
CIU 750 cash back after 7500 in 3mos
CIC 750 cash back after 7500 in 3mos

Between the wife and myself, we have 4 cards two of which we are auth user on the others card.
I'm guessing steps are
1. disentangle ourselves
2. is apply for CIP with EIN and wife applies with SSN
3. Wife applies for CSP
4. I downgrade my CSP and apply for new CSP
5. Wife does modified DD for CSR
6. I modify DD for CSR

Is that right?

Souppishdawg

Jun 21, 2013
San Diego, CA
Do you guys think there will be some kind of notice for when the 100k points offer expires? My wife got one, and I'm tempted to get one too, but would rather wait a month or two

20Deep

You never with Arteta
Jul 18, 2001
Looks like
CSP SUB is 100k
CIP SUB is 100k
CSR SUB is 60k

Between the wife and myself, we have 4 cards two of which we are auth user on the others card.
I'm guessing steps are
1. disentangle ourselves
3. Wife applies for CSP
6. I modify DD for CSR

Is that right?
The Ink unlimited and Ink cash cards are really 75,000 UR as long as you can transfer to an UR earning card

The Grand Inquisitor

Mar 14, 2005
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Looks like
CSP SUB is 100k
CIP SUB is 100k
CSR SUB is 60k

I'm guessing steps are
1. disentangle ourselves
3. Wife applies for CSP
6. I modify DD for CSR

Is that right?
And eventually there will come a time when you realize it’s easier to just get a high % cash back card and chill because time spent managing that is not worth it..

• Dislike

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor