CREW Chase Sapphire Reserve v. Churn/Award Travel Crew

HenrayPG

OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2007
LV
See my posts above but with the CFU you're getting 1.5 points which at a 1.5x is 2.25% towards travel, if you value them at 2 cents than its 3%
5% things like rotating categories, Ink Cash (cable/dish/cell/streaming), grocery $12k SUB, any gift cards you buy from grocery or ink things are 7.5% to 10% and so on
Travel/dining/pharmacy would be 4.5% back towards travel
Pre paid gift cards from Staples/OD/OM can vary, but you get 5% when you buy them, you may or may not have to pay the $6 activation fee for a $200-$500 card so up to 10% towards travel for every day purchases in the ideal situation (this wont always happen but is certainly possible and people do this all the time)

and shit even if you DO just want cash the rotating categories cards give you 5% cash on a ton of shit along with whatever else...back when I was stupid I used rotating category cards for cash and just cashed out the points like a true dumb cunt :wtc:

This is a bit much to follow. Can’t you just spend more money to get more points?

• Haha
Reactions: Chuck Finley

bearsdidit

May 8, 2004
San Diego, CA
Can you use Hyatt points to get breakfast? I'll be at the Hyatt regency on both Maui and Kauai for three days each
I opened an amex blue card two months ago and have been putting everything on it to try to build back up some good will with them :rofl:
I was tempted to the same during Covid but held out and got a CSP again for 100K.

Have fun on Kauai! It’s been a few years since we’ve been and really miss it.

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
This is a bit much to follow. Can’t you just spend more money to get more points?
All im saying is all the earn rates are worth 50-100% higher or more if you use them towards travel

and if you think about what youre doing you can earn like 5-10% towards travel on about anything

HenrayPG

OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2007
LV
All im saying is all the earn rates are worth 50-100% higher or more if you use them towards travel

and if you think about what youre doing you can earn like 5-10% towards travel on about anything

If I understand this all correctly, I’m earning 1.5% towards travel with CSR. How can I get 5-10%?

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
If I understand this all correctly, I’m earning 1.5% towards travel with CSR. How can I get 5-10%?
by reading the post you said you dont understand because I spelled it all out there :rofl:

I'll try again here-
Early cliffs..look up various cards and their earn rate on shit and times it by 1.5 which is the minimum you'll earn for travel redeemed through Chase or transferred out to Southwest. Hyatt is more like 1.8-2.0 cents per point. As you learn more and if you are doing biz or 1st class or international travel you can do even much better than 2 cents a point

Yes you're earning 1.5% towards travel on general shit with the CSR because general shit is 1% and then the 50% x makes it 1.5% towards travel but thats shit. The main/my fav cards-

*Chase Freedom Unlimited gives you 1.5x as the base earn rate on anything, and then 3x on dining and pharmacies. So that 1.5 points earned base rate x 1.5% to account for the extra 50% you earn when redeemed towards travel = 2.25% towards travel and the 3% x 1.5 is 4.5% on dining and pharmacy

*Freedom (no longer available to new signups) and the Freedom Flex which replaced it earn 5% on rotating quarterly categories. Chase says for example in Q1 you'll earn 5% on Home Improvement and Streaming services. Q2 Gas Q3 Grocery Q4 Amazon.com and Target or whatever they choose, on up to $1500 a quarter of purchases. So your 5% X 1.5 is 7.5% You can load up on gift cards in whatever category to max out the $1500 per quarter if you like and know you will use them in the future somewhat soon ideally

*Ink Cash Basically anyone can get business cards with Chase, they have great signup bonuses. The Chase Ink Cash (CIC) earns 5% on all office supply store purchases, and internet/phone/cable bills. 2% on gas which I never remember and can always do better than this anyway. The best thing about the card though is the office supply store purchases because you can go into a Staples, Office Max or Office Depot and buy any gift card they sell like Amazon, Apple (now can be used for hardware/store purchases not just iTunes) Shell gas, any restaurant, all kinds of shit. So all that shit earns you 5% X 1.5 = 7.5% towards travel on all cell/internet/cable/dish bills and on anything you buy from amazon or apple or google etc, thats pretty huge. This is where it gets a little more complicated-The extra sauce with this card after you do this more is you can also buy pre paid gift cards from the office supply stores. You can take these cards you buy and take them anywhere and buy whatever from wherever as its now just a debit card to wherever you buy shit from. You can load up to $200 on a card from Office Max/Depot, and then there is a $6 activation fee. You get 5% back on the purchase of the card. So doing a little math..paying $206 for a $200 card is a 3% extra charge, but you earn 5%. So you earn 2% instead of 1.5% everywhere. Then 2% x 1.5 towards travel is 3%, which is .75% more towards travel for general purchases over the CFU. I think Staples has cards up to $500 which makes it a lot more worth it because the activation fee is still $6 I think. Also they run promos a lot where they waive the activation fee, so youre getting a legit 5%/7.5% back from them you can use on everyday purchases you only would have got 1.5%/2.25% on.

Hopefully that helps, those are the most important cards to me, and you already have a Sapphire which is helpful for redemptions and when you travel. The most important thing and best way to earn points is the signup bonuses (SUBs) You're gonna earn up to 100k on signup bonuses which is way more than a dollar here a dollar there on what % you earn every day. Thats where you really make your shit.

Then there are branded cards like the Hyatt card or Southwest card. You can get up to 60k Hyatt points for signing up which is like $1200 of hotel rooms. They've had some good promos this year of earning bonus points. Right now they are giving 5x on gas. They had a promo where if you made 50 transactions in a month you earned 5k points. Some other good ones I didnt qualify for too. The Southwest cards SUB can be great too. If you earn something like 130k SW points in a year, you get their Companion Pass for free for that year, and the next year. If you arent familiar, that means you can have someone fly with you for free for almost 2 full years, and thats on top of the 130k or so points you'll earn. All that has to be paid for the 2nd person is the security fee which is $5.60 each way, every human on a plane pays that. The trick is you sign up for the Southwest personal card and the Southwest biz card at almost the same time towards the end of the year. You *MAKE SURE* you dont hit the minimum spend on either card until early the next year. When you hit the min spend, you get the bonuses giving you your 130k SW points which earns you Companion Pass. This is also something to probably to worry about in the future when youre more familiar with this and make sure you do it right.

Feel free to ask questions here

HenrayPG

OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2007
LV
by reading the post you said you dont understand because I spelled it all out there :rofl:

I'll try again here-
Early cliffs..look up various cards and their earn rate on shit and times it by 1.5 which is the minimum you'll earn for travel redeemed through Chase or transferred out to Southwest. Hyatt is more like 1.8-2.0 cents per point. As you learn more and if you are doing biz or 1st class or international travel you can do even much better than 2 cents a point

Yes you're earning 1.5% towards travel on general shit with the CSR because general shit is 1% and then the 50% x makes it 1.5% towards travel but thats shit. The main/my fav cards-

*Chase Freedom Unlimited gives you 1.5x as the base earn rate on anything, and then 3x on dining and pharmacies. So that 1.5 points earned base rate x 1.5% to account for the extra 50% you earn when redeemed towards travel = 2.25% towards travel and the 3% x 1.5 is 4.5% on dining and pharmacy

*Freedom (no longer available to new signups) and the Freedom Flex which replaced it earn 5% on rotating quarterly categories. Chase says for example in Q1 you'll earn 5% on Home Improvement and Streaming services. Q2 Gas Q3 Grocery Q4 Amazon.com and Target or whatever they choose, on up to $1500 a quarter of purchases. So your 5% X 1.5 is 7.5% You can load up on gift cards in whatever category to max out the $1500 per quarter if you like and know you will use them in the future somewhat soon ideally

*Ink Cash Basically anyone can get business cards with Chase, they have great signup bonuses. The Chase Ink Cash (CIC) earns 5% on all office supply store purchases, and internet/phone/cable bills. 2% on gas which I never remember and can always do better than this anyway. The best thing about the card though is the office supply store purchases because you can go into a Staples, Office Max or Office Depot and buy any gift card they sell like Amazon, Apple (now can be used for hardware/store purchases not just iTunes) Shell gas, any restaurant, all kinds of shit. So all that shit earns you 5% X 1.5 = 7.5% towards travel on all cell/internet/cable/dish bills and on anything you buy from amazon or apple or google etc, thats pretty huge. This is where it gets a little more complicated-The extra sauce with this card after you do this more is you can also buy pre paid gift cards from the office supply stores. You can take these cards you buy and take them anywhere and buy whatever from wherever as its now just a debit card to wherever you buy shit from. You can load up to $200 on a card from Office Max/Depot, and then there is a $6 activation fee. You get 5% back on the purchase of the card. So doing a little math..paying $206 for a $200 card is a 3% extra charge, but you earn 5%. So you earn 2% instead of 1.5% everywhere. Then 2% x 1.5 towards travel is 3%, which is .75% more towards travel for general purchases over the CFU. I think Staples has cards up to $500 which makes it a lot more worth it because the activation fee is still $6 I think. Also they run promos a lot where they waive the activation fee, so youre getting a legit 5%/7.5% back from them you can use on everyday purchases you only would have got 1.5%/2.25% on.

Hopefully that helps, those are the most important cards to me, and you already have a Sapphire which is helpful for redemptions and when you travel. The most important thing and best way to earn points is the signup bonuses (SUBs) You're gonna earn up to 100k on signup bonuses which is way more than a dollar here a dollar there on what % you earn every day. Thats where you really make your shit.

Then there are branded cards like the Hyatt card or Southwest card. You can get up to 60k Hyatt points for signing up which is like $1200 of hotel rooms. They've had some good promos this year of earning bonus points. Right now they are giving 5x on gas. They had a promo where if you made 50 transactions in a month you earned 5k points. Some other good ones I didnt qualify for too. The Southwest cards SUB can be great too. If you earn something like 130k SW points in a year, you get their Companion Pass for free for that year, and the next year. If you arent familiar, that means you can have someone fly with you for free for almost 2 full years, and thats on top of the 130k or so points you'll earn. All that has to be paid for the 2nd person is the security fee which is $5.60 each way, every human on a plane pays that. The trick is you sign up for the Southwest personal card and the Southwest biz card at almost the same time towards the end of the year. You *MAKE SURE* you dont hit the minimum spend on either card until early the next year. When you hit the min spend, you get the bonuses giving you your 130k SW points which earns you Companion Pass. This is also something to probably to worry about in the future when youre more familiar with this and make sure you do it right.

Feel free to ask questions here

Ok I see what your getting at now. I have freedom and ink as well but honestly I rarely use the freedom. Mainly CSR and ink. I spend a lot so getting points comes along with that. I need to figure out the redemption tricks to get more towards travel. I signed up for some partner program with Hilton and it didn’t seem like I saved much if anything

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
Southwest is fucking me up by canceling their contract with EWR last year. I used to be able to fly into NYC so fucking cheap and in/out non stop at the best times. Now to LGA it cost 4x as much, almost zero direct flights and the ones that are direct or are cheap are at the direct opposite time of day I want them. Thats from me looking from 3 diff airports too

Also besides the much higher cost of travel/flying, Southwests website seems to be gaming the price....at least more than I saw before or was aware of anyway. I'm seeing a lot more of things like it being cheaper to instead of buying an A>B ticket you buy an A>B>C ticket, and just dont fly to C. Ive heard about this for years, just never ran into it before. Also I noticed almost every damn place I wanted to fly to 6 months out, there is only 1 seat remaining. I found that hard to believe. Then I started playing with it and it wouldn't say that if I was on mobile or desktop instead, or not logged in my account. It would say 1 left on one screen, and then I could buy 8 tickets on another. I feel like I saw the price going up and down too depending on which account/incognito was looking too, but maybe I'm just imagining shit

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anthony 74