CREW Chase Sapphire Reserve v. Churn/Award Travel Crew

Hisma

OT Supporter
Apr 2, 2006
Reno, NV
do you get back any of the annual fee if you downgrade from the CSR to a freedom card? I believe my annual fee posted in July 2021.

Also is there a way to check when you last got the bonus points? is there a bonus point history or somewhere so i know if i would qualify for the new bonus?
Just look at the billing history to get an idea of how long its been.

hoody

OT Supporter
Oct 26, 2020
If I have a CSP before and cancelled it, am I eligible for the bonus? It was more than 48 months ago

SkiMax

Dec 11, 2004
Chicago
So I have a preferred right now. Can I downgrade that and then apply for the preferred again to get the sign-on bonus??

Ichinichi

gots me dat midas touch
May 8, 2001
Update, reapplied on Wednesday (not Thursday) via chase online directly, received approval today. Was a bit nerve racking waiting, but I knew I was under 5/24 and over 4 years since I applied for my previous csp.
Now GIMME DEM 100K POINTS
I have CSP as well (since 2016). Just want to make sure you downgraded the CSP (not CSR) and waited a few days then reapplied for CSP?

Also, wtf $4000 spend in 3mos? Wtf am I fucking around with this ink card for.

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
Yep, that's it.
I googled it for you without reading the link im posting
Chase adds bonus categories, new perks to Sapphire card ...https://thepointsguy.com › news › chase-sapphire-cards...

But off the top of my head, the CSR AF went up, all added benefits they added are set to expire at the end of the year
all the shit they just added is all about getting travel/high bonus points through their portal, which no points or travel nerd would ever want to do

CSP kept the same AF and added a $50 hotel credit if you buy it through the chase portal
3x on dining/streaming/*online purchases of groceries* probably not worth it because im guessing a store is gonna charge you more than the 1.5% difference than just using the CFU and you can do better other ways
10% bonus on how many dollars you earned at the end of the year (not based off any bonus categories just 10% of the base 1% you earned at the end of the year if this makes sense)
Most of all-100k SUB

Cliffs: CSP added some benefits and a 100k SUB while the CSR tried to confuse you by speaking a foreign language and then tried to slip it's dick deep in your dirty asshole

Reactions: Ichinichi

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
Hit my $1500 Hyatt WOH Chase bonus. ~$500 of Hyatt charges for a 14 Hyatt points per dollar earn and ~$1k of gas at 5 Hyatt points per $

and then I'm gonna try to spend a big more on it as if I can spend $5k total on the WOH card, combined with my stays this year I'll only be 1 night away from earning Explorist. Then I'll have Marriott Gold and Hyatt Explorist for like 14 months or so. Another $5k on top of that and I'll hit it if I dont end up staying 1 more night anywhere.

WOH card gives 2 nights credit for every $5k spent and this year Hyatt lowered their night requirements to earn status by 50%. So only 15 nights to earn the middle tier Explorist. 5 auto from the card every year, so either 10 more nights in a Hyatt all year, and/or 2 less for each $5k that goes on the card. Main perk of earning it is getting upgraded to the best room available with each stay other than a suite. So whatever premium rooms they have that are bigger with a city or water view etc.

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
Correction about the CSR thats actually worse than I thought.

The Pay yourself back feature on the CSR ends at the end of next month, not the end of the year :rofl:

I'm not due for renewal until like 7 more months, so I'll keep it until then I guess. That will let me get another $300 in free travel before I pay the AF again :bigthumb: and maybe get me in some lounges (which never seems to work out for me)

iLLt3ck

Aug 1, 2002
Pitted, so pitted
Hit my $1500 Hyatt WOH Chase bonus. ~$500 of Hyatt charges for a 14 Hyatt points per dollar earn and ~$1k of gas at 5 Hyatt points per $

and then I'm gonna try to spend a big more on it as if I can spend $5k total on the WOH card, combined with my stays this year I'll only be 1 night away from earning Explorist. Then I'll have Marriott Gold and Hyatt Explorist for like 14 months or so. Another $5k on top of that and I'll hit it if I dont end up staying 1 more night anywhere.

WOH card gives 2 nights credit for every $5k spent and this year Hyatt lowered their night requirements to earn status by 50%. So only 15 nights to earn the middle tier Explorist. 5 auto from the card every year, so either 10 more nights in a Hyatt all year, and/or 2 less for each $5k that goes on the card. Main perk of earning it is getting upgraded to the best room available with each stay other than a suite. So whatever premium rooms they have that are bigger with a city or water view etc.
seems like a lot of spend / complexity for just an upgraded room. Do you at least get discounted rates?

jaspirr

Jul 16, 2008
Delaware
So what is the end game here for Chase? Why did they just sabotage their best credit card? They probably received 5 million card cancellations this week. So when does the other foot drop and they release something new?

Reactions: Capt. Hammer

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
seems like a lot of spend / complexity for just an upgraded room. Do you at least get discounted rates?
No, thats the main perk, you can earn a little more points or whatever.

All I'm doing out of the ordinary is putting some non-bonus spend the next few months on the Hyatt card instead of the CFU.

Explanation if you care: Normally takes 30 nights to earn their Mid-tier Explorist. This year they are letting you earn it at 15 nights. I get 5 automatically just from having the WOH card. I currently am planning to hit 12 nights total this year if I dont end up doing anything else at all this year, which I may even for a night. Ever $5k you spend on the card, you earn 2 nights. I think we've already spent $2-3k this year. So I can hit the $5k easy and be 1 night stay away from the next status. The lady and I have talked about doing something for a night/weekend at some point which would hit my 15 total. Or if not I could throw another $5k of ordinary/non bonus spend on it the rest of the year. I have my spending (almost nothing) my dad/stepmom and my mom/stepdad who both combine for a quite a bit. So spending $5k isnt too hard thankfully.

Reactions: iLLt3ck

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
So what is the end game here for Chase? Why did they just sabotage their best credit card? They probably received 5 million card cancellations this week. So when does the other foot drop and they release something new?
I dont know. When the rumors came out it was from an internal chase doc, so I knew it was real....but I couldnt stop saying "It's like they specifically dont want people to have the card"

They added nothing to it of any real value, are taking away any extra perks

and are putting flashy neon arrows pointing towards the CSP with a 100k SUB, increasing the benefits/earn somewhat and then throwing a $50 hotel credit (through the portal) and not raising the AF at all?

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
I guess trying to take my points nerd lenses off....

Maybe its like most other things, people who are car/points/phone/whatever nerds are the minority. So maybe we shouldn't assume they give a fuck about us/ or that we are anywhere near the majority.

They are gonna make a lot more money by getting your average asshole who doesnt know any better to use their travel portal. Maybe they figure the average asshole will just see the 5-10x earn rates on the CSR for what we know is shit, and go after them. Those people are more likely to not maximize their points usage or may just put all their spending on that one card. So the perceived value of the CSR to a regular person probably did go up a lot because 5x or 10x look fucking amazing on paper, especially when you compare that and the AF to the Amex Platty. We just know that we are getting shafted

They can offer 100k on the CSP because you can only redeem through the portal at 1.25x so they advertise it as $1250 of travel with the CSP and $900 with the CSR which isnt a massive difference looking at the value in the portal. We all know that your best use is almost always to transfer points out, so redeem rate isn't the most important thing on earth.

Reactions: Capt. Hammer

Ichinichi

gots me dat midas touch
May 8, 2001
I googled it for you without reading the link im posting
Chase adds bonus categories, new perks to Sapphire card ...https://thepointsguy.com › news › chase-sapphire-cards...

But off the top of my head, the CSR AF went up, all added benefits they added are set to expire at the end of the year
all the shit they just added is all about getting travel/high bonus points through their portal, which no points or travel nerd would ever want to do

CSP kept the same AF and added a $50 hotel credit if you buy it through the chase portal
3x on dining/streaming/*online purchases of groceries* probably not worth it because im guessing a store is gonna charge you more than the 1.5% difference than just using the CFU and you can do better other ways
10% bonus on how many dollars you earned at the end of the year (not based off any bonus categories just 10% of the base 1% you earned at the end of the year if this makes sense)
Most of all-100k SUB

Cliffs: CSP added some benefits and a 100k SUB while the CSR tried to confuse you by speaking a foreign language and then tried to slip it's dick deep in your dirty asshole
My asshole ain't dirty

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor