CREW Chase Sapphire Reserve v. Churn/Award Travel Crew

chickenfcker

OT Supporter
Apr 22, 2005
Long time listener, first time caller..

We have the CSR (that we use for basically everything) and the Amazon Prime card (that we just use for Amazon purchases). We recently started renting out a second house on VRBO and think it might be easier for finances to have a business card for expenses related to that. Any recs? We're planning on quite a lot of travel next year (and after, as long as the Vid flattens or decreases).

I’m curious how you’re doing this, I have a property on airbnb but no tax ID, LLC, EIN, etc. I have yet to apply for a business card due to that, even though it sounds like most people slip by on their applications without one.

Ffej207

University of South Florida... in West Central Flo
Dec 29, 2000
Charleston, SC
I’m curious how you’re doing this, I have a property on airbnb but no tax ID, LLC, EIN, etc. I have yet to apply for a business card due to that, even though it sounds like most people slip by on their applications without one.
Honestly hadn't gotten that far yet. We were originally going to do an LLC or something but quickly figured out an LLC with no assets isn't going to qualify for a mortgage.

Reactions: chickenfcker

Bitter Moose

OT Supporter
Oct 26, 2007
Dallas
Amex doesn't care. I have a business amex with no tax ID, EIN etc. Chase supposedly started caring for their business card approvals. I've never tried to get one so no idea.

Reactions: chickenfcker

westheimer

OT Supporter
Mar 31, 2015
DC
Anyone made a move on the Venture X?

$395 annual fee
$300 in travel credit annually
10,000 points every year
Priority pass access + 2 guests
Access to Capital One lounges (Dallas, Dulles, Denver)

ESB 100K miles for 10K of spend in the first 6 months

Last edited:

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
Anyone made a move on the Venture X?

$395 annual fee
$300 in travel credit annually
10,000 points every year
Priority pass access + 2 guests
Access to Capital One lounges (Dallas, Dulles, Denver)

ESB 100K miles for 10K of spend in the first 6 months
listened to the Miles to Go podcast today. Yes there is a podcast for points lol

They said how good the card is totally depends on the portal, since all the good earnings rate and travel credit are through the portal. Travel partners arent the greatest though. I'm still raping Chase over and over

Reactions: djnick

GH0ST

OT Supporter
Jul 5, 2003
GA
Anyone here used their Purchase Protection?

Yes. In my case, a TV of mine had broken. Chase said that I had to get a quote to get it repaired. Manufacturer of TV doesn't do repairs at all and couldn't help me. I ended up calling up a local TV repair place near me and they told me they would if they could, but the manufacturer doesn't sell replacement parts. I eventually worked out a deal for them to give me a quote stating it is impossible to repair the TV and Chase ended up then refunding me the purchase price of the TV.

westheimer

OT Supporter
Mar 31, 2015
DC
listened to the Miles to Go podcast today. Yes there is a podcast for points lol

They said how good the card is totally depends on the portal, since all the good earnings rate and travel credit are through the portal. Travel partners arent the greatest though. I'm still raping Chase over and over
True but, at minimum you’re getting $1 per 100 points in cash back. Worst case scenario you’re paying basically nothing for priority pass since they price match other travel websites (excluding Chase since it’s not publicly accessible).

Reactions: bearsdidit

iLLt3ck

Aug 1, 2002
Pitted, so pitted
Yes. In my case, a TV of mine had broken. Chase said that I had to get a quote to get it repaired. Manufacturer of TV doesn't do repairs at all and couldn't help me. I ended up calling up a local TV repair place near me and they told me they would if they could, but the manufacturer doesn't sell replacement parts. I eventually worked out a deal for them to give me a quote stating it is impossible to repair the TV and Chase ended up then refunding me the purchase price of the TV.
Is this CSR only or CSP too?

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
True but, at minimum you’re getting $1 per 100 points in cash back. Worst case scenario you’re paying basically nothing for priority pass since they price match other travel websites (excluding Chase since it’s not publicly accessible).
Right, its still a good SUB, even if it's just cash. I just wish they had better domestic transfer partners. You could always transfer to Singapore and book a United flight. I'm sure you can do that with a couple others too. Wish points were worth a little more through the portal.

One thing that caught my eye-It looks like while earning 5-10x through the portal on spend...$300 credit through the portal....and .you can use points to pay yourself back for travel spend. So pretty easy to use the $300 I'd say, and it sounds like you can pay for all your stuff in cash through their portal, earn 5/10x and then use your points to pay off that charge. Maybe you dont earn on the $300 spend like the CSR and maybe they devalue/close the loophole so you cant do this, but if so its interesting.

Its on my radar for sure as I'm starting to think that in the future I may start to use portals more though. Dont stay in hotels enough to get to tiers that really matter, and I almost always go out to some local breakfast hot spot. I used the portal for the first time this year to book a flight with SW not being an option. Was less points and a direct flight. Surprised me because for me, SW has always been the best option.

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
Gift cards imo. Great for the holiday season.
buttfuck that, gift cards are an awful redemption. I'd go cash and invest it at that point if you weren't going to use them for travel, or PYB redemptions

You'll get an extra 10% at most with gift cards iirc

You'll get 1.5-2x value easy af for PYB redemptions for food, or travel through the CSR portal, transferring to southwest or transferring to Hyatt

If you aren't traveling/have a ton of excess points/and have a CSR, you can use pay your self back at 1.5x value for all dining charges. Thats what I've been doing. I have 225k in my seperate EIN account. Not booking anymore travel in the next couple months I know of. So the points I earn in my SSN account, I've just been burning via PYB as I get them to pay off all dining. Thats why I put all dining on the CSR even though they all earn 3x on dining now.

Lethal

OT Supporter
Sep 6, 2003
buttfuck that, gift cards are an awful redemption. I'd go cash and invest it at that point if you weren't going to use them for travel, or PYB redemptions

You'll get an extra 10% at most with gift cards iirc

You'll get 1.5-2x value easy af for PYB redemptions for food, or travel through the CSR portal, transferring to southwest or transferring to Hyatt

If you aren't traveling/have a ton of excess points/and have a CSR, you can use pay your self back at 1.5x value for all dining charges. Thats what I've been doing. I have 225k in my seperate EIN account. Not booking anymore travel in the next couple months I know of. So the points I earn in my SSN account, I've just been burning via PYB as I get them to pay off all dining. Thats why I put all dining on the CSR even though they all earn 3x on dining now.
It’s a bit of an ongoing joke my dude

Reactions: Chuck Finley

JeffSTL

OT Supporter
Aug 26, 2004
Illinois
Just got my CSR points. Just going to keep racking them up for some travel next year.
200.gif

ZACKMORRIS

Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, FL
I was under the impression that transferring the points to a partner airline was the way to go in terms of redemption... rather than the portal (i have used points through Chase Travel before..)

Reactions: bearsdidit

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor