ART Chicago crew...moving your way...need advice

aCab

Jun 1, 2007
Chicaaago
So I just found out that I am relocating to Chicago with work. What are some areas I should look at around Chicagoland. I need at least a one car garage, easy access to the interstates, preferably close to metra or the L, and affordable (rent + utilities ~ $1k/month, houses $130k-$150k).

Kirk Hinrich

Sep 20, 2004
Brown Line
Take a look around Schaumburg area. That's what i'm somewhat familiar with at least.
NO

Where exactly are you working? In the city proper? DONT LIVE IN THE SUBURBS :wtc:

I'm from Chicago, living abroad for 2 years, and I miss home. It pains me to think of someone moving to Chicago but settling in the burbs :wtc:

TS
TS
aCab

aCab

Jun 1, 2007
Chicaaago
NO

Where exactly are you working? In the city proper? DONT LIVE IN THE SUBURBS :wtc:

I'm from Chicago, living abroad for 2 years, and I miss home. It pains me to think of someone moving to Chicago but settling in the burbs :wtc:

I'm in outside sales and have a home-based office. I'll drive around the midwest to see customers, so no need to pay the premium to live in the city.

Girth

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
OT Supporter
Jun 28, 2002
Houston
Chicago, Chicago, that toddling town
Chicago, Chicago, I'll show you around, I love it
Bet your bottom dollar, you'll lose the blues in Chicago
Chicago, the town that Billy Sunday couldn't shut down

djlogik

Apr 22, 2004
Tinley Park, IL
Pretty much. suburbs blow, live in the city.
I live in the burbs. Yes it sucks at times, but has a lot of benefits (especially if you have kids). I take the metra into the city every day. No way I would ever drive into work. It costs a grip to park in the loop. City taxes are high, shit even cook county taxes are highest in the country. I live about 40 minutes south of the city in Tinley Park (rated best suburb to raise a family in America :) ). I have access to all the main expressways within minutes of me. I-80 for east-west, I-57 for north-south which leads to I-94 for the city, I-355 for the western burbs and I-294 for northwest burbs. If you're single, renting in the city is a major plus. Lots of things to do relatively close. Bars, clubs, music venues, great dining, etc. If thats not really your life style, then head just outside the city and save some money. Just my $.02

jigelow

Dec 16, 2010
Arent there basically 2 parts to evanston? Nice and then junk?

Yup. 3mm houses and 50k houses a fee blocks away.

Parking and travel pretty much puts you in the burbs. City is "cooler" but it's not like Schaumburg is that bad of a suggestion considering the needs.

What's your price point? Renting or buying?

TS
TS
aCab

aCab

Jun 1, 2007
Chicaaago
Pretty much. suburbs blow, live in the city.

I wish I could live in the city, but for my job and for the amount of space I need, id be paying out the ass for a place in the city.

I live in the burbs. Yes it sucks at times, but has a lot of benefits (especially if you have kids). I take the metra into the city every day. No way I would ever drive into work. It costs a grip to park in the loop. City taxes are high, shit even cook county taxes are highest in the country. I live about 40 minutes south of the city in Tinley Park (rated best suburb to raise a family in America :) ). I have access to all the main expressways within minutes of me. I-80 for east-west, I-57 for north-south which leads to I-94 for the city, I-355 for the western burbs and I-294 for northwest burbs. If you're single, renting in the city is a major plus. Lots of things to do relatively close. Bars, clubs, music venues, great dining, etc. If thats not really your life style, then head just outside the city and save some money. Just my $.02

I thought about looking in tinley park, new lenox, etc. You're right, I'd love to live in the city, since being single there is so much to do, but frankly, most weeks I'll only be home two or three nights a week, so why pay the premium for a place I won't be that much?

Yup. 3mm houses and 50k houses a fee blocks away.

Parking and travel pretty much puts you in the burbs. City is "cooler" but it's not like Schaumburg is that bad of a suggestion considering the needs.

What's your price point? Renting or buying?

Price point for renting if I'm living my myself would be around $1000-1100/mo with utilities. For buying, i'd say around $130-150k, with a very close look at taxes. I'd prefer something newer, but with that comes the higher taxes too.

The main reason for needing to live in the Suburbs is to have a place to store my play toys - my s2000 that I track and will start racing next year, and my motorcycle. They are pretty much the only reason that I work - so I can spend money on their use and upkeep, so I'm not willing to get rid of them. I have a company car, so just a one car garage will do, but a two car would be preferred.

jigelow

Dec 16, 2010
I thought about looking in tinley park, new lenox, etc. You're right, I'd love to live in the city, since being single there is so much to do, but frankly, most weeks I'll only be home two or three nights a week, so why pay the premium for a place I won't be that much?

The times you need to drive will blow balls getting downtown from there. You'd be better off in La Grange, Addison, or Downers Grove.

Price point for renting if I'm living my myself would be around $1000-1100/mo with utilities. For buying, i'd say around $130-150k, with a very close look at taxes. I'd prefer something newer, but with that comes the higher taxes too.

The main reason for needing to live in the Suburbs is to have a place to store my play toys - my s2000 that I track and will start racing next year, and my motorcycle. They are pretty much the only reason that I work - so I can spend money on their use and upkeep, so I'm not willing to get rid of them. I have a company car, so just a one car garage will do, but a two car would be preferred.

First, taxes have nothing to do with when your house was built, it's about assessed value.

Secondly, if you're looking to spend a max of $1100 with utilities, you'd be around $115k purchase price around here. That would put you roughly $617/mo P&I. Taxes will be around $300/mo depending on area. And if you were buying a townhome or condo, you'll have association dues on top of that. Unless you can find a decent short sale or foreclosure, you're probably better off renting, to be honest.

If you have any questions, you can feel free to PM me.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor