TECH Chrome > Safari

The1Ash10

Oct 10, 2002
ATX
I've always maintained the Safari > * for OS X, but after using Chrome for a few days I don't think I can ever go back.

hurleyint1386

Someone has sand in their vagina
Jan 6, 2005
Rochester, NY
I like chrome, but try watching a YouTube video with an ad before it. It won't play the video at all. There are still some weird little quirks about it.

hurleyint1386

Someone has sand in their vagina
Jan 6, 2005
Rochester, NY
Hmmm, I don't have this issue.

the fuck? I just tried finding a video with an ad in it, and I can't find a single one on YouTube, including the ones that always had ads...

Now I check in Safari and the ad is in it, but not for Chrome.

Go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ6zr6kCPj8 (sorry, the only video I know that definitely has the advertisement) with Safari and with Chrome. Chrome skips the ad and Safari still plays it. This must be new in the past 48 hours. Ok, now I kinda like Chrome more

Raider007

om nom nom nom
Aug 26, 2002
Bay Area
I've never had an issue with ad's and videos... maybe an extention you installed? I know AdBlock as a "block ads" in youtube preference... maybe that's messing it up for you?

I use Chrome because of all the things I can turn on and off and the extra speed... my wife uses Safari with just AdBlock because it just works for her :)

3dfx!

Oct 8, 2009
the fuck? I just tried finding a video with an ad in it, and I can't find a single one on YouTube, including the ones that always had ads...

Now I check in Safari and the ad is in it, but not for Chrome.

Go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ6zr6kCPj8 (sorry, the only video I know that definitely has the advertisement) with Safari and with Chrome. Chrome skips the ad and Safari still plays it. This must be new in the past 48 hours. Ok, now I kinda like Chrome more

Chrome played the ad for me.

3dfx!

Oct 8, 2009

I was forced to use it for a bit since one site I was using for job applications was being stupid with Safari and Chrome. I used it for about a week and it crashed like 5 times in that period, killing all the fucking tabs. What a piece of shit.

Figori

Taking BRC to the EXTREME. Bitch I operate.
OT Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
Somewhere near the Pentagon...
I was forced to use it for a bit since one site I was using for job applications was being stupid with Safari and Chrome. I used it for about a week and it crashed like 5 times in that period, killing all the fucking tabs. What a piece of shit.

I've been running it for 2 years without a crash?

I must be doing it wrong. :ugh:

ov3n

Aug 20, 2002
The only thing I don't like about Chrome is it uses its own embedded version of Flash and it doesn't always get updated like the standalone version. So watching movies in Netflix in Chrome makes the cpu/gpu temps get real hot whereas in Safari it's quiet & cool.

Raider007

om nom nom nom
Aug 26, 2002
Bay Area
The only thing I don't like about Chrome is it uses its own embedded version of Flash and it doesn't always get updated like the standalone version. So watching movies in Netflix in Chrome makes the cpu/gpu temps get real hot whereas in Safari it's quiet & cool.

you can disable the built in one using
Code:
about:plugins
along with any other plugins you don't want/need

you know me

OT where the douchbags play
Dec 7, 2001
I'd blame the user in that situation. Chrome is probably the fastest launching browser and quickest to render a page. Safari is pretty damn close, but I have to barely give it to Chrome.

it opens fine...just the pages take forever to load. I can't see how i fucked it up, i installed and launched it

3dfx!

Oct 8, 2009
Just switched back to Safari. Stopped using Chrome after it would make my MBP run hot as fuck (fan was loud too). FF5 is nice, better than 4 and no issues with it so far, but Safari is faster.

3dfx!

Oct 8, 2009
BTW if you find Safari to start acting up (i.e. sluggish, beach balls, etc).. Do the following:

delete Safari's icon cache using the Finder, open your user folder, navigate to ~/Library/Safari/ and move this file "webpageIcons.db to the Trash.

Now go to ~/Library/Preferences and move this file com.apple.safari.plist to the trash.

Safari: Unsupported third-party add-ons may cause Safari to unexpectedly quit or have performance issues
Last Modified: February 18, 2011
Article: TS3230

Symptoms
Unsupported third-party add-ons may cause Safari to unexpectedly quit or have performance issues.
Unsupported third-party add-ons may add features to Safari or change its appearance. If you use unsupported third-party add-ons you may encounter issues such as these:
• Safari quits unexpectedly
• Safari runs slowly
• Safari is unable to download files
• Other unexpected behavior
Note:*This article does not apply to Internet Plug-Ins such as QuickTime, Java and Adobe Flash. It also does not apply to Safari Extensions.
Products Affected
Safari 4 (Mac OS X 10.6), Safari 4 (Mac OS X 10.5), Safari 4 (Mac OS X 10.4), Safari 5 (Mac OS X 10.6), Safari 5 (Mac OS X 10.5)
Resolution
Use the add-on's uninstaller, if possible
To resolve the issues: Quit Safari, then remove any unsupported third-party add-ons you've installed (see if the add-on's installer includes an uninstall feature).
Then, open Safari again. If this fixes the issue you were having, check the website of the software's developer to see if there is an updated version available, or avoid using the add-on.

Manually uninstall third-party add-ons
If the software doesn't have an uninstaller feature, quit Safari and try manually removing the third-party add-on files. These files are usually installed in one or more of the following locations:
• /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/
• /Library/Input Methods/
• /Library/InputManagers/
• /Library/ScriptingAdditions
• ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/
• ~/Library/Input Methods/
• ~/Library/InputManagers/
• ~/Library/ScriptingAdditions

The first four locations listed are in the root-level Library on your hard disk, not the user-level Library in your Home folder. The tilde (~) represents your Home folder (choose Home from the Go menu in the Finder).
If the issue is resolved by removing items from the above locations, return the items one at a time and test Safari. That way you can determine which of them is causing the issue. Once identified, remove the problematic item and put the others back. Check for updates to the items that are found to cause issues, or report the issue to the add-on developer.

Did this and it's fast as fuck again. I was having issues with the beach ball showing up and just sitting there for 5-10 seconds at a time randomly when clicking on links or new tabs.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btcdiana