CAR clear bra install

lathrash

Jun 10, 2004
Upland
I'm thinking about getting a clear bra installed on my truck. I don't really know anything about them.

What should I know before shopping around?
What product do you recommend? 3M?
What kind of price should I expect?
Anyone know of a good install shop somewhere between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe?

xxpanipuri

Gideeyup Motherfuckers....
Dec 28, 2000
Silicon Valley, CA
I'm thinking about getting a clear bra installed on my truck. I don't really know anything about them.

What should I know before shopping around?
What product do you recommend? 3M?
What kind of price should I expect?
Anyone know of a good install shop somewhere between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe?

i hear there's a guy in pleasanton thats been doing it since the 80's i know thats far for you but you may want to check into that..

JRock10

May 25, 2005
Nashville, TN FTW
how much do you want to cover? Last I heard, 3M bought out Ventureshield, so I think there is pretty much 2 options now from 3M, a 6 mil film that is fairly clear, and the 3M Scotch film that is 8 mil (the original 3M ClearBra).

SolarGuard offers the Clearshield product, which has been superior in appearance to the 3M film. It is the preferred choice of a friend of mine that does paint protection film.

Llumar also offers a PPF, but it has been sketchy in appearance off and on. I don't recall the name of it.

The going price here is between $550 - $700 for a bumper, hood, fender, mirror kit. That is the most common coverage package that most shops offer.

3M ClearBra is the most common name, but there are much better looking products. The biggest thing to keep in mind, paint protection film is a sacrificial product. It will get beat up, start to look rough, and will change color. It is a product that is designed to take the abuse that your front end paint would normally take. The standard warranty is 5 years, and it will not look perfect at the end of those 5 years, depending on your driving environment.

It will be nearly impossible to see when the vehicle is clean, but you will be able to see the line where the film ends when it is dirty.

All that said, I am a big fan of paint protection film. I have it on my explorer, and it's been there for about 3 years, still looking great! I think it's a great investment, and will definitely add value to your car.

TS
TS

lathrash

Jun 10, 2004
Upland
how much do you want to cover? Last I heard, 3M bought out Ventureshield, so I think there is pretty much 2 options now from 3M, a 6 mil film that is fairly clear, and the 3M Scotch film that is 8 mil (the original 3M ClearBra).

SolarGuard offers the Clearshield product, which has been superior in appearance to the 3M film. It is the preferred choice of a friend of mine that does paint protection film.

Llumar also offers a PPF, but it has been sketchy in appearance off and on. I don't recall the name of it.

The going price here is between $550 - $700 for a bumper, hood, fender, mirror kit. That is the most common coverage package that most shops offer.

3M ClearBra is the most common name, but there are much better looking products. The biggest thing to keep in mind, paint protection film is a sacrificial product. It will get beat up, start to look rough, and will change color. It is a product that is designed to take the abuse that your front end paint would normally take. The standard warranty is 5 years, and it will not look perfect at the end of those 5 years, depending on your driving environment.

It will be nearly impossible to see when the vehicle is clean, but you will be able to see the line where the film ends when it is dirty.

All that said, I am a big fan of paint protection film. I have it on my explorer, and it's been there for about 3 years, still looking great! I think it's a great investment, and will definitely add value to your car.

Thanks for all the info and links. I'll be using my new truck for work for and I'm just trying to save the paint from scratches and rock chips. I'm looking to do the bumper, fenders, and mirrors at a minimum. I'd like to do the whole truck, but it would probably cost too much. Most of the panels are pretty flat though, so maybe someone will cut me a deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448