TECH Computer and electronics dorks come complain about stuff here

wabash9000

Dec 27, 2006
Olathe, KS
I don't understand why I can't find any USB-C hubs designed for desktops. Every hub I find has a 6-12" cable hard wired into it or has so few ports that it isn't useful. Why can't I find a good powered hub with a removable USB-C cable. There really isn't an advantage to a C hub, but I'd like to be able to use the USB-C port on my computer with something more than a foot away from the computer.

I currently have this hub mounted under my desk and my computer in my master closet to isolate the noise and heat.
All 10 ports on the hub are full, but it would be nice to have it on USB-C but apparently that's only a thing for laptop dongles.

CPTMULLER

Jun 30, 2008
Portland, OR
I don't understand why I can't find any USB-C hubs designed for desktops. Every hub I find has a 6-12" cable hard wired into it or has so few ports that it isn't useful. Why can't I find a good powered hub with a removable USB-C cable. There really isn't an advantage to a C hub, but I'd like to be able to use the USB-C port on my computer with something more than a foot away from the computer.

I currently have this hub mounted under my desk and my computer in my master closet to isolate the noise and heat.
All 10 ports on the hub are full, but it would be nice to have it on USB-C but apparently that's only a thing for laptop dongles.
what 10 usb peripherals do you have :hmm:

wabash9000

Dec 27, 2006
Olathe, KS
what 10 usb peripherals do you have :hmm:
keyboard, mouse, tablet, finger print reader, usb audio volume mixer, charging cable for mouse, another hub to put ports on top of my desk, dslr webcam, usb XLR mic input, xbox controller, 2 ports wired to the front of my desk on the other side of me for quick cable access before I had the hub on top.

Not sure if that is 10 or all really needed but I have all 10 ports full on the under desk hub. I use a lot of USB and want easy access to it. I sometimes will have a few more used for a microsd card reader or arduinos if I'm making something.

• Wow
Reactions: yonson

CPTMULLER

Jun 30, 2008
Portland, OR
keyboard, mouse, tablet, finger print reader, usb audio volume mixer, charging cable for mouse, another hub to put ports on top of my desk, dslr webcam, usb XLR mic input, xbox controller, 2 ports wired to the front of my desk on the other side of me for quick cable access before I had the hub on top.

Not sure if that is 10 or all really needed but I have all 10 ports full on the under desk hub. I use a lot of USB and want easy access to it. I sometimes will have a few more used for a microsd card reader or arduinos if I'm making something.
pics of your desk? :hmm:

lowfat

The Dragon Reborn
OT Supporter
Oct 27, 2003
Grande Prairie, AB, Can

Startech makes some. They are pricey tho.

Chews Wisely

Banned
Apr 23, 2022

I have a small hub on top of my computer that has a very short cable, like 5 inches maybe, so it's really easy to place on a surface. it only has 4 ports, but it's 2x USB-C and 2x USB-A. The hub is made by SSK.
it's the closest thing I could find to not having an attached cable.

Last edited:

JaimeZX

Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew
Nov 7, 2005
Back in VA
So. I was going to build my next router as PFSENSE on an old HP T730 thin client. But now I'm leaning towards throwing one of these in a little case. The processor has mebbe 25% more um... CPUMark score, and it has a PCI-e slot for an expansion slot when my internets get faster than 1Gbps and need a faster card. I should be able to put another NIC in the T730 as well but um... rack mount = cooler*. Anybody done this?

* I don't have a rack yet. :o

CPTMULLER

Jun 30, 2008
Portland, OR

yonson

OT sux...
OT Supporter
Jul 25, 2006
Motor City...
the LTT screwdriver became a reality when his snap on screwdriver stopped working, maybe it's a lot in canadian pesos but:
:rofl: I didn't know that's why he decided to build his own!

My first Snap on one (that I bought in '92) locked up sometime in the mid 2000's I continued to use it like that for a few more years until it was stolen. I bought a replacement in 2010 and it's still going strong and I have 2 more that I keep in my vehicle tool boxes. (1 of them use to be in my work tool box, but since I work from home now I just moved it to the other vehicle). :o

CPTMULLER

Jun 30, 2008
Portland, OR
:rofl: I didn't know that's why he decided to build his own!

My first Snap on one (that I bought in '92) locked up sometime in the mid 2000's I continued to use it like that for a few more years until it was stolen. I bought a replacement in 2010 and it's still going strong and I have 2 more that I keep in my vehicle tool boxes. (1 of them use to be in my work tool box, but since I work from home now I just moved it to the other vehicle). :o
Yeah I mean I'm sure there's more to it, but that was the catalyzing moment iirc
I have 2 snap on screwdrivers and the williams version, the snap on ones are nicer :o

CPTMULLER

Jun 30, 2008
Portland, OR

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-cu-9... c hub&cm_re=usb_c hub-_-17-139-286-_-Product close but no cigar

Das-Helmut

OT Supporter
Nov 8, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Why the fuck do feds insist on seeing everyone on the SOC floor? We've been killing it for the past 2 years, and my group is only sitting in there, we have no function that works with them. Now I gotta start commuting again because some old heads believe you have to be seen to work? Not to mention our productivity, availability, and closure rate is 200% better than it was when we were all in the office? Boomers need to retire already and let remote work get done if its not hurting anything. Stop spouting off bullshit about printers not having paper because "we're a green facility you're not supposed to be printing anyway" when I gotta drive an hour to sit here. Retard logic.

/left field rant

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448