TECH Computer and electronics dorks come complain about stuff here

lowfat

The Dragon Reborn
OT Supporter
Oct 27, 2003
Grande Prairie, AB, Can
damn, I really want to do a car audio upgrade :hmm: I should bug you guys when I finish all my other projects first :oo
Most of my knowledge with car audio stopped in about 2005. :o

The only things I've bought in the last 18 years is the PAC converter and the JL components. And my next vehicle I'm unlikely to upgrade anything.

Reactions: yonson

XR250rdr

OT Supporter
Mar 1, 2004
Ca
The minivan has JL C3 650 components up front and a 20 year old '75wrms' Planet Audio 12 . And 20 yr old Hifonics Zeus 4x160wrms. Sub has been taking 320wrms nearly the entire time and still going strong. :bowdown:
That reminds me that my sub is 20 years old this year :rofl:. Image Dynamics IDQ12v2. A friend bought it and I installed it in his 02 WRX.

Seluryar

Jan 22, 2005
Blue Marble Island
Will one of these be useful to determine if my power supply went bad?

Or do I need something more intuitive?

Im afraid to use my new power supply on the new motherboard, and Im not sure if I should use my old power supply if something in the process killed that as I tried it out. Both of them made my led fan light up as well as make all my fans spin without me touching my computers power button as I switched the psu on, but nothing showed up on the monitor. Then eventually the video card started smoking.. So Im gun shy about putting together the new build with either power supply as well as the replacement video card that arrives this weekend.

Edit: I cant rely on the bridging 2 wires together as my power supply is a zero rpm model so it might not start up at turn on.

CPTMULLER

Jun 30, 2008
Portland, OR

Im afraid to use my new power supply on the new motherboard, and Im not sure if I should use my old power supply if something in the process killed that as I tried it out. Both of them made my led fan light up as well as make all my fans spin without me touching my computers power button as I switched the psu on, but nothing showed up on the monitor. Then eventually the video card started smoking.. So Im gun shy about putting together the new build with either power supply as well as the replacement video card that arrives this weekend.

Edit: I cant rely on the bridging 2 wires together as my power supply is a zero rpm model so it might not start up at turn on.

that'll tell you as much as anything reasonably will, if you have a multimeter you can accomplish the same thing with some effort

lowfat

The Dragon Reborn
OT Supporter
Oct 27, 2003
Grande Prairie, AB, Can
That reminds me that my sub is 20 years old this year :rofl:. Image Dynamics IDQ12v2. A friend bought it and I installed it in his 02 WRX.
Debated buying one of those back on the day. Ended up going with with an a/d/s 312.2rs (I think this was the model number). Fucking thing got stolen. But my Hifonics amp wasn't in the vehicle since it was getting repaired. :mamoru:

IMO when it comes to audio, I'm a fan of the older shit. Always was made in USA. And generally spec'd conservatively. Although in terms of amps, new class d are like 1/4 of the size of A/B stuff. My Hifonics amp is like 2 ft long and 'only' 640rms.

yonson

OT sux...
OT Supporter
Jul 25, 2006
Motor City...
I go to bed at 845-10 on the regular. I can barely keep my eyes open past that. :o

And if I get up @ 4 or whenever I just roll with it.
I typically only get around 5 maybe 6 hours of sleep, maybe once or twice a month I'll get 8, and maybe once a season I'll get 10+. I fell asleep sitting at the desk shortly after making my previous post and just went to bed. Luckily I ended up sleeping to around 5:45 which I'll take. It's when I'm wide awake before 4 that sucks.

yonson

OT sux...
OT Supporter
Jul 25, 2006
Motor City...
Saw some Phoenix Gold XS subs for sale locally here a couple weeks ago. Same model I had for my first stereo in the late 90s. Was going to buy them but they sold fast af. :(

Not sure wtf I'd do with them tho. So probably a good thing. :o
I was a major Phoenix Gold fan boi back in the day (early 90s) Their amps (mainly the MS 275) were the core of every system I had from 1991 - 2002 when the last one got stolen out of my truck and I quit doing car stereos. I never tried their subs though.

yonson

OT sux...
OT Supporter
Jul 25, 2006
Motor City...
Most of my knowledge with car audio stopped in about 2005. :o

The only things I've bought in the last 18 years is the PAC converter and the JL components. And my next vehicle I'm unlikely to upgrade anything.
Yeah, I installed from the early 90's up until '99 when I moved to Dallas, I've been using stock since then other than maybe doing a couple tweaks to the factory systems like changing crossover points, swapping out the crappy sub, removing/disconnecting the rear speakers (I'm not a fan of surround sound music hehe) etc...
It's amazing how much the technology has advanced, and the factory systems in most vehicles have become pretty damn good compared to what was offered in the past. I might not even do anything else to the Mustang, now that I've added the sub, but I haven't really spent any time in it to know for sure.

yonson

OT sux...
OT Supporter
Jul 25, 2006
Motor City...
Nice, I was an ID dealer, so I did a LOT of vehicles over their years with their drivers! I even looked into them when I did the mustang, they just wouldn't work with the enclosure I have. I ran the numbers on over 50 different subs and I only found 2 that were anywhere near what I was looking for, so I decided to try the cheapest one :rofl:

Reactions: XR250rdr

lowfat

The Dragon Reborn
OT Supporter
Oct 27, 2003
Grande Prairie, AB, Can

I can't see the link. But all that will test are voltages. But it is testing without a real load. So on my PSU, the tester showed it failed on most rails. If you have a Multimeter, it will work just as good.

lowfat

The Dragon Reborn
OT Supporter
Oct 27, 2003
Grande Prairie, AB, Can
I was a major Phoenix Gold fan boi back in the day (early 90s) Their amps (mainly the MS 275) were the core of every system I had from 1991 - 2002 when the last one got stolen out of my truck and I quit doing car stereos. I never tried their subs though.
Had a 15" XS in my ol' Thunderbird... Know the amp was PG too, QX something or other.

I still have a Phoenix Gold Bass Cube + Line Driver that I've never bothered using for 15+ years.

TS
TS
the_antsy_honda

the_antsy_honda

Do not hug me.
Dec 17, 2001
California
  • Haha
TS
TS
the_antsy_honda

the_antsy_honda

Do not hug me.
Dec 17, 2001
California
  • Haha

stevezissou

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2009
US

For the first time, 11th gen is worth it.
lmao

r4ZNcxc.gif

• Haha
Reactions: yonson and TenSteel

TenSteel

*walks in Spanish*
OT Supporter
Nov 11, 2001
San Diego
all of my car audio knowledge is based on stars on crutchfield :o
Maybe because I'm out of the loop I assume that car audio isn't the same abundant business it used to be. Stock stereos continue to sound way better than they used to back in the day f(or most people's judgements of quality).

Reactions: the_antsy_honda
TS
TS
the_antsy_honda

the_antsy_honda

Do not hug me.
Dec 17, 2001
California
Maybe because I'm out of the loop I assume that car audio isn't the same abundant business it used to be. Stock stereos continue to sound way better than they used to back in the day f(or most people's judgements of quality).
Werd, even my shitty base model stereo in my 2016 TLX sounds fine. Has 6 speakers + a baby sub in the trunk and bluetooth.

Reactions: TenSteel

Chews Wisely

Banned
Apr 23, 2022

Did the fans continue to run, or was it just a momentary spin up (momentary is normal).

yonson

OT sux...
OT Supporter
Jul 25, 2006
Motor City...
Had a 15" XS in my ol' Thunderbird... Know the amp was PG too, QX something or other.

I still have a Phoenix Gold Bass Cube + Line Driver that I've never bothered using for 15+ years.
The only things I have from then that weren't stolen because they weren't in a vehicle is a PG M25 amp, a PPI Sedona amp, a pair of MB Quart tweeters along with the competition 3 way passive crossovers to go with them, and a USAmps active crossover.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448