TECH Computer and electronics dorks come complain about stuff here

Simius The Monkey

Long Live The Republic
OT Supporter
Sep 7, 2005
Minnesota
So guys we've had some time now to experience Ray Tracing in games. Thus far, what games really stand out to you as justification for the tech?

Right now of the games I've played, it really is only Control that has felt really impactful.

CP2077 was great too, but it didn't pop out at me the same way Control did.

Still think we're a couple of years off, maybe 5 or 10, before ray tracing becomes a standard.
On my 970 the ray tracing in Control works like this: if the camera can see the light source then the light reflects off the ground. As soon as you pan down our whatever so you no longer see the light source the reflection completely disappears.

What I'm getting at is I'm excited to get a 4070 to be able to actually get some ray tracing and whatnot. I've ramped it up in a couple of games and while it makes it really pretty my card in no way can handle it and keep any frame rate.

Edit: actually, come to think off it, I might have tried it out using that Xbox live streaming service thing... So maybe it wasn't using my card at all. Either way it was off-putting.

Reactions: the_antsy_honda

SBrooks1

@ComicConScott
OT Supporter
Nov 28, 2002
Virginia
I just had my first partition fail in my DS416j NAS. I'm running RAID5. What's my next step? Can I just hot swap Drive 1 and it will initiate a rebuild?

NAS.jpg

lowfat

The Dragon Reborn
OT Supporter
Oct 27, 2003
Grande Prairie, AB, Can
Anyone using balena? Trying to setup a Pi for BalenaSound but I haven't the foggiest idea wtf I'm doing. :hmm:

EDIT: Maybe a Firefox issue. Tried Chrome and it looks like it is deploying correctly now.

Last edited:

sans_pants

I don't want any damn vegetables
OT Supporter
May 2, 2002
Anyone got a cheapy external blu ray drive recommendation I can use for ripping

XR250rdr

OT Supporter
Mar 1, 2004
Ca
On my 970 the ray tracing in Control works like this: if the camera can see the light source then the light reflects off the ground. As soon as you pan down our whatever so you no longer see the light source the reflection completely disappears.

What I'm getting at is I'm excited to get a 4070 to be able to actually get some ray tracing and whatnot. I've ramped it up in a couple of games and while it makes it really pretty my card in no way can handle it and keep any frame rate.

Edit: actually, come to think off it, I might have tried it out using that Xbox live streaming service thing... So maybe it wasn't using my card at all. Either way it was off-putting.
It must have been streaming since the 970 doesn't have the ability to do any ray tracing.

Vilnius

Bruised, battered, and scarred but hard.
OT Supporter
Nov 12, 2003
Toronto
It must have been streaming since the 970 doesn't have the ability to do any ray tracing.

Nah, it's like how you could do 3D before there were 3D accelerators. You can DO raytracing without RTX cores, it's just super lightweight or really inefficient. I thought it was limited to the 10x cards for Nvidia though.

Users who are viewing this thread

• About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
    OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
    Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
    Guests online
    Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddunn9448