CREW TECH Computer and electronics dorks come complain about stuff here

DSHR

Jun 4, 2000
LA/MIA
Trying to help my nephew get power to his GPU. I haven’t built a PC in +15 years. Seems like I need a 6 pin PCIe connection from the GPU from there I’m lost :o.

TS
TS
the_antsy_honda

the_antsy_honda

Do not hug me.
Dec 17, 2001
California
@DSHR

Check the model number of the pc

This cable does not work with Dell Inspiron series such as: 3653 3650 3655 3250 3252 3268 3660 3667 3668 3670. This cable was only designed for some types as listed in the 3rd Point. In order to avoid any compatible problems, please carefully check your PC type or contact us if you are not sure about it. If you connect this cable to other incompatible PC or motherboard, it will burn or damage the motherboard and we won’t take any responsibility for wrongly using or installing.

Reactions: TenSteel

DSHR

Jun 4, 2000
LA/MIA
But yeah that's the issue with these OEM systems, standards are often proprietary which makes upgrades difficult

I’m going to go the easy route and replace the PSU. I didn’t realize Dell did the whole proprietary deal makes sense though. I’ll build my nephew a better rig for Christmas.

stevezissou

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2009
US
I’m going to go the easy route and replace the PSU. I didn’t realize Dell did the whole proprietary deal makes sense though. I’ll build my nephew a better rig for Christmas.

their main boards have proprietary connections too, so i'm not sure a new PSU would even plug into the dell board.

Ohhh fuuuu
Correct, abandon the attempt to upgrade the dell.

Do you have a microcenter near you?

DSHR

Jun 4, 2000
LA/MIA
Correct, abandon the attempt to upgrade the dell.

Do you have a microcenter near you?

Yep in Orange County. Thanks for all the help guys @the_antsy_honda @Section8 @stevezissou . I guess my nephew will be upgrading sooner than I expected probably better in the long run. I’ll get him more ram and use the current i5.

stevezissou

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2009
US
Yep in Orange County. Thanks for all the help guys @the_antsy_honda @Section8 @stevezissou . I guess my nephew will be upgrading sooner than I expected probably better in the long run. I’ll get him more ram and use the current i5.
If he wants another prebuilt look at the "powerspec" PC's.

They are microcenters in house brand and use all standard parts so you can upgrade it later.

Or get all the parts there and build your own to piss off @the_antsy_honda lmao

Scoob_13

Hello Nice FBI Lady
Oct 5, 2001
Jew Space Laser Control Center

Holy shit :rofl:

I can think of 2 better ways to do that:

1. Cut down the copper shims to the size of the memory chips, and use slightly thinner shims (since didn't account for compression) and don't worry about shorting things (unless maybe he's worried about arcing? but then...metal cooling unit...)
  2. Do #1 but solder (or would it be brazing?) the shims to the dedicated heat sink, then use thermal compound between the memory modules and the copper
Or a 3rd way if you have a solid block of copper is to just CNC a custom heat sink since you already have the mounting solution available to you but I'm thinking that's expensive :rofl:

TenSteel

*walks in Spanish*
OT Supporter
Nov 11, 2001
San Diego
So first impressions:

-I got the Gateron Brown switches and they’re actually not bad at all.

-The keyboard is crazy heavy out of the box. Noticeably heavier than my Kira which is much larger.

-I had to remove the spacebar to get to the reset button to flash the latest firmware. It appears they lubed the stabilizers from the factory.

-Nice deep sound out of the box. Not nearly as pingy as I was expecting. I wonder if they’ve done other mods/improvements …

Reactions: the_antsy_honda
TS
TS
the_antsy_honda

the_antsy_honda

Do not hug me.
Dec 17, 2001
California
So first impressions:

-I got the Gateron Brown switches and they’re actually not bad at all.

-The keyboard is crazy heavy out of the box. Noticeably heavier than my Kira which is much larger.

-I had to remove the spacebar to get to the reset button to flash the latest firmware. It appears they lubed the stabilizers from the factory.

-Nice deep sound out of the box. Not nearly as pingy as I was expecting. I wonder if they’ve done other mods/improvements …
I use gateron browns and I like em

Reactions: TenSteel

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kingdee