CREW TECH Computer and electronics dorks come complain about stuff here

GH0ST

OT Supporter
Jul 5, 2003
GA
Depends on the product and the support team. Source; dealt with Dell @ my last gig.

Which product?

All the storage/server support is top tier trash right now. I'm seeing it across several of our vendors lately, but they take the cake. Would like to add VMware is equally bad. All they do is take several days to respond with a KB article that has already been looked at. What a waste of money Production support is with them.

Scoob_13

Hello Nice FBI Lady
Oct 5, 2001
Howdy Arabia
All the storage/server support is top tier trash right now. I'm seeing it across several of our vendors lately, but they take the cake.
That's been going down the toilet for years, yeah :o

Back in...2019? Maybe late 2018? I think that's the last time we had a case elevated enough to make it to an engineering team (when we found a bug w/ their firmware update process on a specific piece of hardware that was bricking said hardware...and said hardware was iDRAC related so it nuked all remote access to the system over it...

Between then and when I stopped dealing w/ hardware (April 2021) we rarely had that opportunity, and support was...questionable to say the least. It was like Dell saw how shitty MS Premier was becoming and said "hold my Kingfisher"

TenSteel

*walks in Spanish*
OT Supporter
Nov 11, 2001
San Diego
Glad you were able to recover it.

Take a look at macrium reflect free you can make images of entire drives as backups and pull individual files off that image if you need to.

I’m tempted to do this next time I have the motivation to do a clean windows install. Especially now that Win 10 is reaching its last version.

Reactions: stevezissou

yonson

OT sux...
OT Supporter
Jul 25, 2006
Motor City...
I’m tempted to do this next time I have the motivation to do a clean windows install. Especially now that Win 10 is reaching its last version.
You can do it at anytime, it will run live and you don't even have to reboot. Depending on the size of your drive and how full it is it might take a couple hours though, so it's best to do overnight etc... when you won't be using it.

lowfat

The Dragon Reborn
OT Supporter
Oct 27, 2003
Grande Prairie, AB, Can
I don't have a fancy can crushing machine. And I had at least 100x as many cans. My melting furnace is nicer too. :scootin:

:hmm:
I see he has a different air valve. Wonder why since it is the same brand of furnace.

Reactions: Lit Wick87

lowfat

The Dragon Reborn
OT Supporter
Oct 27, 2003
Grande Prairie, AB, Can
What do you do with the aluminum?
At the moment it just sits on my shelf. But when I have the funds / time for more tools I'll be using it to cast 3d printer parts. Or other places where I need something custom, but plastic won't suffice.

Like this. Just not for jewellery.

Or this when I need bigger parts.

EDIT: This dood has the same air valve as the dood above. I guess this is the older version than mine. :hmm:

TenSteel

*walks in Spanish*
OT Supporter
Nov 11, 2001
San Diego
You can do it at anytime, it will run live and you don't even have to reboot. Depending on the size of your drive and how full it is it might take a couple hours though, so it's best to do overnight etc... when you won't be using it.
The idea is to image my main boot drive after a fresh install so I could image restore to a fresh install with just a few essential programs installed.

Last edited:
Reactions: yonson

I<3URANUS

I can ride my bike with no handlebars.
OT Supporter
Sep 17, 2002
Dallas, TX
Anyone have a gaming laptop? I'm not looking for anything too crazy. Just wanted something that I could use on the go or travel with to pass the time.

I know I can find a better deal on something else but thought the portability and the power was pretty decent. Thoughts?

Scoob_13

Hello Nice FBI Lady
Oct 5, 2001
Howdy Arabia
I’ve thought about
Anyone have a gaming laptop? I'm not looking for anything too crazy. Just wanted something that I could use on the go or travel with to pass the time.

I know I can find a better deal on something else but thought the portability and the power was pretty decent. Thoughts?

Cons​

• Impractical
  • Pricey
  • Top-heavy

Scoob_13

Hello Nice FBI Lady
Oct 5, 2001
Howdy Arabia
If I were going for a gaming laptop (and I've been thinking of replacing my personal laptop for a while...) I definitely wouldn't choose that one. It's way too gimmicky.

For laptops, at least for me, I need to know it's going to work when I'm thousands of miles from my house.

I<3URANUS

OT Supporter
Sep 17, 2002
Dallas, TX
I’ve thought about

Cons​

• Impractical
  • Pricey
  • Top-heavy
No doubt. I don't care about the balance. I prefer the tablet form factor. Price is definitely a consideration tho and it's the only thing that's really holding me back.

It would mostly be Media consumption and light gaming. (likely with a controller vs a keyboard and mouse)

It would not replace my desktop for gaming at home but would be cool to be able to dl sole games on the device itself and use steam link/Xbox pass (or whatever it's called).

I've tried both on my current tablet and it just doesn't work well. (Galaxy tab s7+)

I do use my tablet, often, so even outside of gaming it would get use. Only big downside will be going from an old to an LCD. The galaxy tab has the best screen on any mobile device. Losing that will suck. 🥲

Last edited:

I<3URANUS

OT Supporter
Sep 17, 2002
Dallas, TX
If I were going for a gaming laptop (and I've been thinking of replacing my personal laptop for a while...) I definitely wouldn't choose that one. It's way too gimmicky.

For laptops, at least for me, I need to know it's going to work when I'm thousands of miles from my house.
Why wouldn't it work thousands of miles from your house?

Scoob_13

Hello Nice FBI Lady
Oct 5, 2001
Howdy Arabia
Why wouldn't it work thousands of miles from your house?
I'm wary of proprietary connectors being required for a major portion of functionality.

Since it's just an optional dock with additional horsepower/ports, okay probably fine, but if I was going to be dependent on it for the entire reason that I bought the thing (a better portable gaming experience), I'd be pretty miffed if it fucked up and I wasn't able to go source a replacement wherever I was (or had a backup, which is usually what I have at the house).

Reactions: I<3URANUS

I<3URANUS

OT Supporter
Sep 17, 2002
Dallas, TX
I'm wary of proprietary connectors being required for a major portion of functionality.

Since it's just an optional dock with additional horsepower/ports, okay probably fine, but if I was going to be dependent on it for the entire reason that I bought the thing (a better portable gaming experience), I'd be pretty miffed if it fucked up and I wasn't able to go source a replacement wherever I was (or had a backup, which is usually what I have at the house).
Yeah. I hear ya. I'm not interested in doing the GPU dock. That's way too much. I'd go with the FHD screen as well. 4k is pointless on something that small.

I know I can get a better deal on a laptop but the whole idea is for sitting on the couch or on the road.

Who wouldn't love a little rdr2 while stuck in a hotel room. Lol.

Reactions: Scoob_13
TS
TS
the_antsy_honda

the_antsy_honda

Sir, I protest...
Dec 17, 2001
California
Yeah. I hear ya. I'm not interested in doing the GPU dock. That's way too much. I'd go with the FHD screen as well. 4k is pointless on something that small.

I know I can get a better deal on a laptop but the whole idea is for sitting on the couch or on the road.

Who wouldn't love a little rdr2 while stuck in a hotel room. Lol.
what's your budget

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.9.0 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
West1971