CREW TECH Computer and electronics dorks come complain about stuff here

KGB ate my bread

EVERYTHING IS FINE
OT Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Louisiana
5800X3D is the best gaming chip right now. If you can get it cheap at Microcenter or something it's worth it. Definitely a HUGE jump from the 2600X. If you do other shit too like production the 5900X is a better buy. 5700X if you're on the cheap. Skip the 5500 and G variants. They have no PCIE3 (well your mobo might not either) and half the L3 cache.

What you do with your PC and what GPU u got
I'm just replacing CPU in current setup; I'm 2600X & 2070 Factory OC, the 3D and 5900 are well beyond what I'd spend rn given the new drops coming around the corner.

IDK, I could wait until after the 7000 series launch and buy some use CPU, but part of me is a lil hesitant in that regard, and I also doubt there will be a huge turnover of people getting rid of 5000 series CPUs, probably more people like myself with 2000s and some 3000s; IDK, these are assumptions

TS
TS
the_antsy_honda

the_antsy_honda

Sir, I protest...
Dec 17, 2001
California
I'm just replacing CPU in current setup; I'm 2600X & 2070 Factory OC, the 3D and 5900 are well beyond what I'd spend rn given the new drops coming around the corner.

IDK, I could wait until after the 7000 series launch and buy some use CPU, but part of me is a lil hesitant in that regard, and I also doubt there will be a huge turnover of people getting rid of 5000 series CPUs, probably more people like myself with 2000s and some 3000s; IDK, these are assumptions
If budget is any kind of concern just hold out.

stevezissou

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2009
US
5800X3D is the best gaming chip right now. If you can get it cheap at Microcenter or something it's worth it. Definitely a HUGE jump from the 2600X. If you do other shit too like production the 5900X is a better buy. 5700X if you're on the cheap. Skip the 5500 and G variants. They have no PCIE3 (well your mobo might not either) and half the L3 cache.

What you do with your PC and what GPU u got
Did someone say MICROCENTER?

XR250rdr

OT Supporter
Mar 1, 2004
Ca
We did an Arctic 360 on my cousins, he said it runs no problem with PBO but it was hard to get the Corsair memory to run at 3600
I ditched corsair ram because it was single rank. Went with G.Skill and no issues.

Her computer is mini ITX so cooler size was limited. After a bunch of tweaking PBO curve and power limits got it to run okay and stay under 80 C.

TS
TS
the_antsy_honda

the_antsy_honda

Sir, I protest...
Dec 17, 2001
California
I ditched corsair ram because it was single rank. Went with G.Skill and no issues.

Her computer is mini ITX so cooler size was limited. After a bunch of tweaking PBO curve and power limits got it to run okay and stay under 80 C.
For my friend's 3800x i ended up buying the corsair memory off of him and he got some g skill and it worked fine

TS
TS
the_antsy_honda

the_antsy_honda

Sir, I protest...
Dec 17, 2001
California
So the Ryzen-optimized ram models don’t help at all with stability?
Overwhelming sentiment is to not pair Corsair RAM with Ryzen

Although I heard 12th gen kind of is hit or miss with memory too.

More shakeup with both because Intel was basically on Skylake for a decade so it worked with everything; now that they're on DDR5 I think they're both gonna be finnicky

• Wow
Reactions: TenSteel and yonson

yonson

OT sux...
OT Supporter
Jul 25, 2006
Motor City...

More shakeup with both because Intel was basically on Skylake for a decade so it worked with everything; now that they're on DDR5 I think they're both gonna be finnicky
Interesting, I didn't know this. My TrueNAS machine is a 3900XT with 128GB of Corsair memory :o

TS
TS
the_antsy_honda

the_antsy_honda

Sir, I protest...
Dec 17, 2001
California
Interesting, I didn't know this. My TrueNAS machine is a 3900XT with 128GB of Corsair memory :o
Well that's what I read anyway. My cousin IIRC has G Skill too. I had a hard time with LPX on my 1600, and I put some teamgroup on it, it was wonky but then again user error can't be ruled out.

Reactions: yonson

CPTMULLET

Jun 30, 2008
Portland, OR

is that with xmp or just in general?

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.9.0 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wet0529