CREW TECH Computer and electronics dorks come complain about stuff here

TheStryder

OT Supporter
Nov 13, 2007
For the last 5.5 years I've been running pfSense off a Supermicro A1SRi-2558F motherboard and it's worked reliably with OpenVPN and subsequently Wireguard. For whatever reason this week it started to intermittently drop WAN and now it's dropped both WAN and LAN access to the router. I've tried rebooting and that hasn't solved the issue.

I'm going to wipe and do a fresh pfSense install. If the issue is hardware and I need to replace, does OT recommend:
  • Building a new PC and continue running pfSense? If so do I go up to i5 to get gigabit speeds even with Wireguard?
  • Go with an out of the box solution like Unifi Dream Machine Pro since I already run Unifi APs?

CPTMULLET

Jun 30, 2008
Portland, OR
For the last 5.5 years I've been running pfSense off a Supermicro A1SRi-2558F motherboard and it's worked reliably with OpenVPN and subsequently Wireguard. For whatever reason this week it started to intermittently drop WAN and now it's dropped both WAN and LAN access to the router. I've tried rebooting and that hasn't solved the issue.

I'm going to wipe and do a fresh pfSense install. If the issue is hardware and I need to replace, does OT recommend:
  • Building a new PC and continue running pfSense? If so do I go up to i5 to get gigabit speeds even with Wireguard?
  • Go with an out of the box solution like Unifi Dream Machine Pro since I already run Unifi APs?
Iirc the pfsense Reddit had a pretty good hardware vs performance breakdown. I’m pretty meh on ubiquiti outside of APs, and even those can be tedious so ymmv

lowfat

The Dragon Reborn
OT Supporter
Oct 27, 2003
Grande Prairie, AB, Can

I would bet network adapter is failing. Have another to try?

lowfat

The Dragon Reborn
OT Supporter
Oct 27, 2003
Grande Prairie, AB, Can

This is what i used. Easy af to install. Just unhook the fabric from front of seat and slide between fabric and the plastic supports.

I used the rest to double the cushioning on my Ikea Poang chair.

Both were best mods ever. :bowdown:

Reactions: Lit Wick87

XR250rdr

OT Supporter
Mar 1, 2004
Ca

FWIW I've been running a UDM Pro for about 6 months and I haven't had to restart it once I got it configured.

Was running Sophos XG in a VM previously and while the UDM Pro doesn't have quite the same amount of options I don't have any complaints with the UDM Pro at home.

LancerV

Buttslut sighting
OT Supporter
Sep 16, 2003
FWIW I've been running a UDM Pro for about 6 months and I haven't had to restart it once I got it configured.

Was running Sophos XG in a VM previously and while the UDM Pro doesn't have quite the same amount of options I don't have any complaints with the UDM Pro at home.
Can the UDM/Unifi series even policy based VPN routing yet?

LancerV

Buttslut sighting
OT Supporter
Sep 16, 2003

For home use and wireguard can run it off an intel celeron pretty much, just needs AES-NI for OpenVPN

Reactions: TheStryder

01ACRViper

Official OT LOTR Guru......... Spurs >*
Jul 12, 2001
Dallas
my current PC is nearing 10 years old, and i'm running a 1070 I got in 2016. Everything still performs well enough, but with a hopefully improving GPU market I was hoping to finally upgrade :x:

where the hell do i go to learn what the best options are these days? i'm a bit out of the loop

stevezissou

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2009
US
my current PC is nearing 10 years old, and i'm running a 1070 I got in 2016. Everything still performs well enough, but with a hopefully improving GPU market I was hoping to finally upgrade :x:

where the hell do i go to learn what the best options are these days? i'm a bit out of the loop
Do you want to build a PC or not?
Do you need one now or can you wait?

Hisma

OT Supporter
Apr 2, 2006
Reno, NV
They were losing their ass being undercut/competed with by their own supplier, they didn't have a choice but to get out
I get it. This latest gen especially. The FE was always cheaper than the AIB version of the 3000 series, and with almost no performance improvement, aside from better thermal design (which can always be fixed with mods).
Reminds me of amazon beating drop shippers at their own game.

01ACRViper

Jul 12, 2001
Dallas
Do you want to build a PC or not?
Do you need one now or can you wait?

It still meets all of my needs so it CAN wait if it's still not a good time. And i'd prefer to build it myself vs buy a built computer. I want to reuse my case since it has a shitload of HDDs for our media storage.

but i've been itching to upgrade for a few years now so if it's an ok time I'd go for it

stevezissou

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2009
US
It still meets all of my needs so it CAN wait if it's still not a good time. And i'd prefer to build it myself vs buy a built computer. I want to reuse my case since it has a shitload of HDDs for our media storage.

but i've been itching to upgrade for a few years now so if it's an ok time I'd go for it
EDIT - Looking at low stock I would buy last gen hardware now at steep discounts unless you just HAVE to have latest gen then wait.

@the_antsy_honda what say you?

And www.microcenter.com in richardson is your best friend for building a PC

Last edited:

stevezissou

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2009
US
But an idea of how cheap last gen parts are now.

5800X

MSI Mobo

Hisma

OT Supporter
Apr 2, 2006
Reno, NV
any of y'all played with traefik?
I used it years ago and could tell it had promise as a easy reverse-proxy solution, but ultimately ended up rolling my own with nginx.
Fast forward to today and I wanted to enable remote access to some of my services... ie vscode, so I could code on my local system from anywhere. I spun up a traefik docker container, and I got this dashboard.
1663512360803.png

When you select hub dashboard, it connects your traefik service with the cloud (for free), and with one click, you can publish any of your docker containers to the "edge", that is, make them accessible remotely. They give you a random url that you can customize so you can access it from anywhere. Also gives you the ability to add additional security ie username/password to access the url. But the best part is that it handles all the certbot/tls bullshit automatically, so you get ssl on all your services.
1663512656471.png

The only thing I need to assess is speed, seeing as you're adding an extra hop by using a cloud-based reverse proxy vs a local one.
But if anyone has been looking at setting up reverse proxy to host some of their services, I'd highly rec traefik. Especially if your services are deployed to docker.

Hisma

OT Supporter
Apr 2, 2006
Reno, NV
here's the site btw if anyone wants to look more into it -

these guys have enterprise solutions, but for now traefik hub (which is what I was talking about above) is free. I can't see this being free forever, but I'd gladly pay a small fee for the pure convenience.
Also, back when I first used traefik ~4 years ago it was a small project. Now it looks like they've gotten huge & have some big enterprise clients :o. Worth keeping an eye on if they ever decide to go public as a SaaS company.

01ACRViper

Jul 12, 2001
Dallas
But an idea of how cheap last gen parts are now.

5800X

MSI Mobo

:coold: i like those prices

is there expected to be a big performance jump with the next gen AMD? since I'll probably keep this computer another decade, might be worth future proofing? but then again, i probably won't want to pay 100% more for that future proof :rofl:

stevezissou

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2009
US
:coold: i like those prices

is there expected to be a big performance jump with the next gen AMD? since I'll probably keep this computer another decade, might be worth future proofing? but then again, i probably won't want to pay 100% more for that future proof :rofl:
The parts above will be 4X performance what you have now, there is always something "better" around the corner, you just have to decide if you want to wait to see benchmarks and price/performance ratio.

This is an age old debate hence the copy pasta/meme we always post in here.

tABeuiU.jpg

TS
TS
the_antsy_honda

the_antsy_honda

Sir, I protest...
Dec 17, 2001
California
EDIT - Looking at low stock I would buy last gen hardware now at steep discounts unless you just HAVE to have latest gen then wait.

@the_antsy_honda what say you?

And www.microcenter.com in richardson is your best friend for building a PC
1070 is old but new shit is coming, I'd guess existing stuff will get a little cheaper once 4k launches. On the other hand, apparently the mining thing merging really fucked over GPu mining so perhaps finding some second hand used one might be pretty good deal

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
digimarkactanza