CREW TECH Computer and electronics dorks come complain about stuff here

TheStryder

OT Supporter
Nov 13, 2007
FWIW I've been running a UDM Pro for about 6 months and I haven't had to restart it once I got it configured.

Was running Sophos XG in a VM previously and while the UDM Pro doesn't have quite the same amount of options I don't have any complaints with the UDM Pro at home.

I appreciate the feedback. The most important factor in my decision is future proofing the hardware for the next 5+ years. I'm aware of a Wireguard kernel module but it doesn't look as easy to install vs. Wireguard in pfSense.

For home use and wireguard can run it off an intel celeron pretty much, just needs AES-NI for OpenVPN

Good to know I won't need AES-NI. How reliable are used Dell R210/220 1U servers for pfSense purposes? Do I run a risk from them crapping out in a few years since they're refurbished?

lowfat

The Dragon Reborn
OT Supporter
Oct 27, 2003
Grande Prairie, AB, Can
I appreciate the feedback. The most important factor in my decision is future proofing the hardware for the next 5+ years. I'm aware of a Wireguard kernel module but it doesn't look as easy to install vs. Wireguard in pfSense.

Good to know I won't need AES-NI. How reliable are used Dell R210/220 1U servers for pfSense purposes? Do I run a risk from them crapping out in a few years since they're refurbished?
Find an older thin client that allows for a half height pcie card.

Reactions: TheStryder

Scoob_13

Hello Nice FBI Lady
Oct 5, 2001
Howdy Arabia
here's the site btw if anyone wants to look more into it -

these guys have enterprise solutions, but for now traefik hub (which is what I was talking about above) is free. I can't see this being free forever, but I'd gladly pay a small fee for the pure convenience.
Also, back when I first used traefik ~4 years ago it was a small project. Now it looks like they've gotten huge & have some big enterprise clients :o. Worth keeping an eye on if they ever decide to go public as a SaaS company.
Traefik is decently big in the container/Kubernetes space, both for load balancing/proxy, and for service mesh.

Their core products are OSS and have a decent level of entry in terms of ease of use.

Reactions: Hisma

LancerV

Buttslut sighting
OT Supporter
Sep 16, 2003

I pretty much run all these boards for my home lab stuff

XR250rdr

OT Supporter
Mar 1, 2004
Ca

I'd buy new hardware if that's what you're after.

R210 is going to be a giant power hog.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
digimarkactanza