CREW TECH Computer and electronics dorks come complain about stuff here

Scoob_13

Hello Nice FBI Lady
Oct 5, 2001
Howdy Arabia
If I were to buy a printer, it would most likely be a Brother. I wouldnt ever accept a free HP Printer new or used. Also, you have to hold on to the original HP carts if you need to setup your HP printer again even well after they dried out(on recent and new printers) Who the hell does that?? lol
If a friend gave me an HP printer they would no longer be my friend.

Seluryar

Jan 22, 2005
Blue Marble Island
Any recommendations for bluetooth headphones in the $300-$500 range, must be super loud and super bassy(bone rattling bass im told).
(not for me as that is well out of my price range)

TheStryder

OT Supporter
Nov 13, 2007
Find an older thin client that allows for a half height pcie card.

That's what my friend suggested to get by for now. I'm going to just ethernet directly to the desktop and run Wireguard off the browser. It's not the end of the world in the short-term.

I pretty much run all these boards for my home lab stuff

I appreciate the recommendation. I also read a review on the X11SDV-8C-TLN2F but it seems like for my needs it's overkill and not worth the power consumption. I'm leaning towards the X10SDV-4C-TLN2F.

I'd buy new hardware if that's what you're after.

R210 is going to be a giant power hog.

Also they’re old and trash.

Those Supermicro SOC ITX boards are the way to go.

And probably loud and generating a ton of heat. No thanks. I might look into getting a new board vs. used but it's 2x the cost.

lowfat

The Dragon Reborn
OT Supporter
Oct 27, 2003
Grande Prairie, AB, Can
That's what my friend suggested to get by for now. I'm going to just ethernet directly to the desktop and run Wireguard off the browser. It's not the end of the world in the short-term.
:hmm:

Review on STH

CPTMULLET

Jun 30, 2008
Portland, OR

I appreciate the recommendation. I also read a review on the X11SDV-8C-TLN2F but it seems like for my needs it's overkill and not worth the power consumption. I'm leaning towards the X10SDV-4C-TLN2F.

And probably loud and generating a ton of heat. No thanks. I might look into getting a new board vs. used but it's 2x the cost.
is this just for a router/firewall?

TheStryder

OT Supporter
Nov 13, 2007
:hmm:

Review on STH

Something to consider, thanks!

is this just for a router/firewall?

Router/firewall with Wireguard and pfBlocker-NG. Pretty standard stuff.

Scoob_13

Hello Nice FBI Lady
Oct 5, 2001
Howdy Arabia
But an idea of how cheap last gen parts are now.

5800X

MSI Mobo

Hrm.

CPTMULLET

Jun 30, 2008
Portland, OR
Educate me. I assume you mean benchmarking for each use case I have and determining what hardware will meet each of these concurrently.
I don't run a VPN on my pfsense box, but I think most of the higher end micro appliances can do 1gb + pfblocker locally without breaking a sweat. IIRC VPN takes a bit more oomph but I don't remember how much more

sans_pants

I don't want any damn vegetables
OT Supporter
May 2, 2002
Specs came out for the 4000 series cards right? Are t the vram numbers comparable? If I just want a lot of vram as affordable as possible should I just get me a 3090?

TS
TS
the_antsy_honda

the_antsy_honda

Sir, I protest...
Dec 17, 2001
California
Specs came out for the 4000 series cards right? Are t the vram numbers comparable? If I just want a lot of vram as affordable as possible should I just get me a 3090?

4090 24gb gddr6x

4080 16gb gddr6x (more cuda cores)
4080 12gb gddr6x (less cuda cores)

allegedly

sans_pants

I don't want any damn vegetables
OT Supporter
May 2, 2002

4090 24gb gddr6x

4080 16gb gddr6x (more cuda cores)
4080 12gb gddr6x (less cuda cores)

allegedly

interesting

any word on the new cards working with a b550?

Scoob_13

Hello Nice FBI Lady
Oct 5, 2001
Howdy Arabia
your autism score is lower than previously thought :hmm:
Don't worry, it's not. I know my limits and danger areas for my fixations :o

I'm having to do everything I can atm to avoid going hard in the paint on a 3D printer + CNC setup for the garage that I've been putting off getting my woodshop setup in for <reasons>, and avoidance means I just block it all from my brain in any way possible :o

Even though I have some ideas for PC cases I want to toy with.

Only because my wife will literally murder me if I buy anymore tools before I get the garage setup and her car parked in it, and the 5 or so house projects requiring said tools done first :o

stevezissou

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2009
US
Don't worry, it's not. I know my limits and danger areas for my fixations :o

I'm having to do everything I can atm to avoid going hard in the paint on a 3D printer + CNC setup for the garage that I've been putting off getting my woodshop setup in for <reasons>.

Even though I have some ideas for PC cases I want to toy with.

Only because my wife will literally murder me if I buy anymore tools before I get the garage setup and her car parked in it, and the 5 or so house projects requiring said tools done first :o
make sure and check with THE BOSS before you buy anything else big guy lol

• Haha
Reactions: yonson

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
digimarkactanza