CREW TECH Computer and electronics dorks come complain about stuff here

Hisma

OT Supporter
Apr 2, 2006
Reno, NV
Ordered this tonight along with a 16GB stick of DDR4 and a 500G NVME drive. Fanless, powered by a 4 core Celeron N5105 with 4 2.5gb Ethernet ports. Going to install proxmox on it, run an openwrt VM for my router, an Adguard VM for adblocking and who knows what else. Should be a fun gadget to mess with.
Love proxmox. what would you use it for on that system tho? its mostly geared toward being a NAS/storage OS like truenas

bearsdidit

May 8, 2004
San Diego, CA
Yeah, I'm debating on if I want to keep my gaming rig as a custom loop or just go back to an air cooled GPU and an AIO for the CPU.
It’ll be interesting to see if the new generation is better thermally. Either way, I’ll probably keep my loop since I have so much invested into it. My GPU core maxes at 35c while playing Warzone. 😂😂

Reactions: yonson
TS
TS
the_antsy_honda

the_antsy_honda

Sir, I protest...
Dec 17, 2001
California
It’ll be interesting to see if the new generation is better thermally. Either way, I’ll probably keep my loop since I have so much invested into it. My GPU core maxes at 35c while playing Warzone. 😂😂
Looking at the tdp, the 4080 is 285 and gets better performance than the 3090ti by far.

Might be pretty efficient if they tuned down to the same performance

yonson

OT sux...
OT Supporter
Jul 25, 2006
Motor City...
Yeah, that's what I like about the K|NGP|N Ultra copper card, that damn thing runs cool even when mining.

Reactions: bearsdidit

Scoob_13

Hello Nice FBI Lady
Oct 5, 2001
Howdy Arabia
Another reason I'm hoping I can get by with the 4080 is because I only have a 1000W PSU and I don't want to have to swap it out for something bigger :rofl:
Yeah that's another thing, I've got a 750w SFX and I'd probably need to bump that up a bit. That and I've got a hybrid 2080ti w/ a 120mm rad, and none of the hybrid 3000's has a 120mm and I am not looking forward to trying to fit another rad into this O11 Mini.

yonson

OT sux...
OT Supporter
Jul 25, 2006
Motor City...
Yeah that's another thing, I've got a 750w SFX and I'd probably need to bump that up a bit. That and I've got a hybrid 2080ti w/ a 120mm rad, and none of the hybrid 3000's has a 120mm and I am not looking forward to trying to fit another rad into this O11 Mini.
Yeah, I really only have an 850 in there right now, but I can steal a 1000W from one of my mining rigs that I've broken down and swap it in since they are both Corsair Type 4's....

Redbeard

OT Supporter
Dec 16, 2007
Nowhere
I have about 1k to upgrade my gfx card. When/what should I buy? I’m still ok on my puny 1060 6gb but hoping for dem Black Friday sales or ?

bearsdidit

May 8, 2004
San Diego, CA
Yeah but do I Really want a card used in a mining farm?
I’d have no problem running a card that’s been mined on. In general, miners carefully monitor the card’s temps more so than your standard gamer. I’m not sure if I believe that mining is “easier” on a card compared to gaming but to dismiss a 3080 with a warranty is silly.

TenSteel

*walks in Spanish*
OT Supporter
Nov 11, 2001
San Diego
I’d have no problem running a card that’s been mined on. In general, miners carefully monitor the card’s temps more so than your standard gamer. I’m not sure if I believe that mining is “easier” on a card compared to gaming but to dismiss a 3080 with a warranty is silly.
Supposedly there's a chance that the memory gets overclocked too hard, but who knows.

Redbeard

OT Supporter
Dec 16, 2007
Nowhere

I bet those bulk buys don’t even have a warranty. And even though they aren’t overheating, they are being used 24/7, that had to put wear and tear

bearsdidit

May 8, 2004
San Diego, CA
I bet those bulk buys don’t even have a warranty. And even though they aren’t overheating, they are being used 24/7, that had to put wear and tear
Most of the cards sold now were bought at retail but YMMV. At my peak, I have 20 GPUs mining last year and would’ve used anyone of those cards for my gaming rig.

Everyone’s risk tolerance is different, but for me, if I was strapped for cash, I’d have no problem running one.

Boots

I'm wearing a disguise
Jul 2, 2001
🇨🇦
Love proxmox. what would you use it for on that system tho? its mostly geared toward being a NAS/storage OS like truenas

Well I have four or five raspberry pi's doing various things that I can consolidate onto this rig - asterix pbx, octoprint, openwrt, Adguard, etc. Also nice that if I'm running my router in proxmox, I can take a snapshot, fuck with settings or update it and if it fails, just restore. I'll also be able to experiment with opnSense and pfSense and easily switch between them to evaluate how they work on my network. That's my initial thoughts anyways.

Reactions: Hisma

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
digimarkactanza