CREW TECH Computer and electronics dorks come complain about stuff here

atxmike

This is my custom title
OT Supporter
Nov 28, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Never fails - Needed a special cable so I mention it on teams and post a picture. 3 people proceed to offer me a similar but clearly different cable. No Becky, I'm not blocked because I can't find a standard power cable. Also fuck this switch and it's C15 power inlet.
C1683096.jpg

Last edited:

Hisma

OT Supporter
Apr 2, 2006
Reno, NV
Well I have four or five raspberry pi's doing various things that I can consolidate onto this rig - asterix pbx, octoprint, openwrt, Adguard, etc. Also nice that if I'm running my router in proxmox, I can take a snapshot, fuck with settings or update it and if it fails, just restore. I'll also be able to experiment with opnSense and pfSense and easily switch between them to evaluate how they work on my network. That's my initial thoughts anyways.
ah yea. main reason i switched to proxmox from truenas/freenas is the lxc container system. VMs ran like ass on freenas. With proxmox you get direct access to host hw and almost bare metal performance in your linux "VMs". Along with a nice easy to use GUI to deploy everything.
It's my fav aspect of proxmox too. But I do use it as a storage os first, as it manages my 45TB zfs array.
Downsides to proxmox is it does have a learning curve and basically requires you to delve into the cli for setting certain things up (like sharing your NAS storage w/ your lxc containers).

Boots

I'm wearing a disguise
Jul 2, 2001
🇨🇦
ah yea. main reason i switched to proxmox from truenas/freenas is the lxc container system. VMs ran like ass on freenas. With proxmox you get direct access to host hw and almost bare metal performance in your linux "VMs". Along with a nice easy to use GUI to deploy everything.
It's my fav aspect of proxmox too. But I do use it as a storage os first, as it manages my 45TB zfs array.
Downsides to proxmox is it does have a learning curve and basically requires you to delve into the cli for setting certain things up (like sharing your NAS storage w/ your lxc containers).

I actually have proxmox running inside a hyper-v VM right now so I can get familiar with it before my device arrives. I like it! You haven't lived until you've run Ubuntu in a proxmox VM inside a Hyper-V VM :rofl:

yonson

OT sux...
OT Supporter
Jul 25, 2006
Motor City...
Yeah but do I Really want a card used in a mining farm?
As someone who has mined on MANY 30 series cards for over 2 years now the only issues I've had with my cards is on 2 of the 30 or so cards I've used 1 EVGA 3080 lost a fan and the only POS MSI 3060Ti that I way overpaid for at Micro Center has lost 2 fans.

Most mining cards have been underclocked so they really aren't pushed that hard other than maybe the memory temps.

If you can get a good deal on a mining card, I'd honestly jump on it, but I'd check Best Buy, Amazon and Micro Center etc... first to see if you can get a new one for a decent deal first.

Reactions: bearsdidit

Hisma

OT Supporter
Apr 2, 2006
Reno, NV
@Hisma damn, I'm just now seeing the container abilities :bowdown:
hell yeah :coold: best thing about proxmox. I'd use those in place of standard VMs anywhere you can. I'm lazy and actually just run one big ubuntu container for everything, same as most people use a VM (and then run docker inside ubuntu for all my microservices). But it has the distinct advantage of having direct hw access from the host, and the speed benefits of being closer to the bare metal. Similar to a hyperV VM.
if you were to set up a plex server inside a lxc container for instance, you could give it hw acceleration for transcoding etc by exposing the container to the hosts video card. I haven't done this tho bc I want to keep my machine low power :o

Reactions: Boots

Boots

I'm wearing a disguise
Jul 2, 2001
🇨🇦
hell yeah :coold: best thing about proxmox. I'd use those in place of standard VMs anywhere you can. I'm lazy and actually just run one big ubuntu container for everything, same as most people use a VM (and then run docker inside ubuntu for all my microservices). But it has the distinct advantage of having direct hw access from the host, and the speed benefits of being closer to the bare metal. Similar to a hyperV VM.
if you were to set up a plex server inside a lxc container for instance, you could give it hw acceleration for transcoding etc by exposing the container to the hosts video card. I haven't done this tho bc I want to keep my machine low power :o

Yeah definitely better to use a container over a full fledged VM in most cases. This is very cool.

Reactions: Hisma

lowfat

The Dragon Reborn
OT Supporter
Oct 27, 2003
Grande Prairie, AB, Can
I used it like 4-5 years ago and ditched it for Ubuntu Server. LXD > LXC. If you need a webui Cockpit works fine. Although no webui for LXD.

Reactions: Hisma

Hisma

OT Supporter
Apr 2, 2006
Reno, NV
I used it like 4-5 years ago and ditched it for Ubuntu Server. LXD > LXC. If you need a webui Cockpit works fine. Although no webui for LXD.
Yeah I imagine Ubuntu has gotten mature with zfs and can be used as a Nas OS now. I'm happy with proxmox as it has all the performance and features I need. Def see the appeal of Ubuntu server as a hypervisor

Reactions: TenSteel

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
digimarkactanza