CREW TECH Computer and electronics dorks come complain about stuff here

May 8, 2001
Colorado
Damn they got some good deals.

@CPTMULLET

Will this hold me over until I have $1,600 to spare?

534897281cbc5248331c0789ad797db6.png

TheStryder

OT Supporter
Nov 13, 2007

This guy knows his shit - basically I don't feel like doing the math on your use case, but the netgate 4100 or the cheaper Protectli/similar micro appliances should be more than enough for most home networks.

I pretty much run all these boards for my home lab stuff

I took a wild chance on a used Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F on eBay. There's a YouTube video with a guy who installed it in the exact same case I use. I can reuse the SSD from the old router and get registered ECC RDIMM memory. 16GB of RAM is probably overkill but at least I can get the part by the end of this week.

@LancerV are you using passive cooling on the CPU or are you using the SuperMicro fan that comes with the used motherboards? I read that the fans can be quite loud.

Reactions: CPTMULLET
May 8, 2001
Colorado
I'm actually in no rush. My 1070 has held up well enough.

I am hoping I can find a deal around Black Friday or Xmas on a 30 series. I think I copped my 1070 years ago around Xmas for nearly half price.

Reactions: the_antsy_honda

LancerV

Buttslut sighting
OT Supporter
Sep 16, 2003
I took a wild chance on a used Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F on eBay. There's a YouTube video with a guy who installed it in the exact same case I use. I can reuse the SSD from the old router and get registered ECC RDIMM memory. 16GB of RAM is probably overkill but at least I can get the part by the end of this week.

@LancerV are you using passive cooling on the CPU or are you using the SuperMicro fan that comes with the used motherboards? I read that the fans can be quite loud.
I use these on all of mine

With these cases

I use the supermicro FAN-0100L4 bolt screwed to the back, if you keep an eye out on ebay can usually find them for 8-10bucks a piece. Unless they go full speed they stay pretty quiet with PWM on my PFsense box rarely ramps up, on my plex box they will ramp up when transcoding or processing files. They arent super quiet at full speed but also not like hear outside the house at fullspeed like most other 40mm

TenSteel

*walks in Spanish*
OT Supporter
Nov 11, 2001
San Diego
AMD was just given a yuuuuge opportunity to be price competetivie with their next gen cards.

And also LMAO at prices for 30 series on ebay lately.

Reactions: yonson

yonson

OT sux...
OT Supporter
Jul 25, 2006
Motor City...
I'm pretty hyped about new stuff. I can't think of a time in recent history where competition was this good.

12th gen and Zen 3 are pretty close
Ampere and RNDA2 are pretty close

Seems like 13th gen and Zen 4 will be too

now to see if RDNA3 can keep up :x:
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the releases.
I doubt I'll be upgrading to anything other than a 4080 or 4090 as Zen3 is working well for me unless one or the other is significantly better than the 5800X3D in iRacing, but I'm going to wait for someone else to bite that bullet first :rofl:

Although I might get a 13400 if it's still BCLK overclockable.

TS
TS
the_antsy_honda

the_antsy_honda

Sir, I protest...
Dec 17, 2001
California
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the releases.
I doubt I'll be upgrading to anything other than a 4080 or 4090 as Zen3 is working well for me unless one or the other is significantly better than the 5800X3D in iRacing, but I'm going to wait for someone else to bite that bullet first :rofl:

Although I might get a 13400 if it's still BCLK overclockable.
I'm at least 75% likely to platform upgrade. 10th gen is looking pretty slow.

If what the single threaded benchmarks show is true, Zen4 scores ~2200 in single. In contrast my 5.3ghz 10900k does around 1400. That's over 50% uplift. Plus no PCIE4

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
digimarkactanza