CREW TECH Computer and electronics dorks come complain about stuff here

yonson

OT sux...
OT Supporter
Jul 25, 2006
Motor City...
I'm at least 75% likely to platform upgrade. 10th gen is looking pretty slow.

If what the single threaded benchmarks show is true, Zen4 scores ~2200 in single. In contrast my 5.3ghz 10900k does around 1400. That's over 50% uplift. Plus no PCIE4
Yeah, I've got way to many other expenditures right now to go crazy upgrading. Seems like everything is hitting all at once.
No telling how much my stupid hospital bills are going to be when it's all said and done, plus I have to replace my water heater,
I'm currently having the house painted because I kept putting it off during covid, and I just found out I need an entirely new roof
including decking, which OMG gave me sticker shock... :barf:

TS
TS
the_antsy_honda

the_antsy_honda

Sir, I protest...
Dec 17, 2001
California
Yeah, I've got way to many other expenditures right now to go crazy upgrading. Seems like everything is hitting all at once.
No telling how much my stupid hospital bills are going to be when it's all said and done, plus I have to replace my water heater,
I'm currently having the house painted because I kept putting it off during covid, and I just found out I need an entirely new roof
Man that sucks. Hope you get it all sorted out.

lowfat

The Dragon Reborn
OT Supporter
Oct 27, 2003
Grande Prairie, AB, Can
Having a pretty much new 30 year shingles on my place was a huge selling point for me. Roofs are stupid expensive and having worked on them as a kid, I won't do one myself again.

sans_pants

I don't want any damn vegetables
OT Supporter
May 2, 2002
i offered up my 3060ti to the nephews if my brother builds them a comp but with this turd of a card launch id prob rather wait for the new year and see if i can get a 3090 even cheaper

if he does build it ill just buy them a 3060 for 350 or whatever

kicking the ol can down the road imo

TS
TS
the_antsy_honda

the_antsy_honda

Sir, I protest...
Dec 17, 2001
California
i offered up my 3060ti to the nephews if my brother builds them a comp but with this turd of a card launch id prob rather wait for the new year and see if i can get a 3090 even cheaper

if he does build it ill just buy them a 3060 for 350 or whatever

kicking the ol can down the road imo
If its just for games the 6700xt is cheap AF and performs great

Reactions: yonson

CPTMULLET

Jun 30, 2008
Portland, OR
Would definitely be a nice upgrade. If you have the expendable $$$ I say go for it, if you don't really need the extra IPC etc... the 3800X is still a damn good chip...
see: want to buy a broverlanding car thread, don't feel like spending the money on my PC :o

if I do, I really just want to ditch my fusionIO drive and just buy a 2-4TB single m2 drive

Reactions: yonson

yonson

OT sux...
OT Supporter
Jul 25, 2006
Motor City...
Man that sucks. Hope you get it all sorted out.
Thanks, I'm surprisingly not as concerned about it as I probably should be, if this was a few years back I'd definitely be having anxiety attacks over it.
In the end I've learned that life happens, all you can do is play the hand you are dealt and stressing out over it just makes it harder on you.

sans_pants

I don't want any damn vegetables
OT Supporter
May 2, 2002
If its just for games the 6700xt is cheap AF and performs great

they will def be gaming more than anything but im trying to use it as an opportunity to teach them a bunch of different things

video editing, blender, music production etc

Reactions: TenSteel

TenSteel

*walks in Spanish*
OT Supporter
Nov 11, 2001
San Diego
The funny thing is I've justified getting Nvidia over and because it has better ray tracing, but in my recent replay of cp2077 (watch the anime if you haven't already) I've turned off most ray tracing anyway and am preferring the higher refresh
The balance I found with my puny 3060 ti at 1440p Ultrawide is only turning on ray traced reflections with a mix of high and medium settings with DLSS. This gives me about 50-60 fps

TS
TS
the_antsy_honda

the_antsy_honda

Sir, I protest...
Dec 17, 2001
California
Having a pretty much new 30 year shingles on my place was a huge selling point for me. Roofs are stupid expensive and having worked on them as a kid, I won't do one myself again.
When we were house hunting a while back, it was a selling point for me. Ours has cement tile which is supposed to last for 50+ years, installed maybe 10 years prior.

TS
TS
the_antsy_honda

the_antsy_honda

Sir, I protest...
Dec 17, 2001
California
The balance I found with my puny 3060 ti at 1440p Ultrawide is only turning on ray traced reflections with a mix of high and medium settings with DLSS. This gives me about 50-60 fps
the reflections are def. the most noticeable implementation. I spent an hour trying to find the impact of shadows and lighting, and while it is obvious side-by-side, when you're running around doing stuff it's hard to notice. But reflections are obvious all the time. Guess I will give that a try.

TenSteel

*walks in Spanish*
OT Supporter
Nov 11, 2001
San Diego
I'm at least 75% likely to platform upgrade. 10th gen is looking pretty slow.

If what the single threaded benchmarks show is true, Zen4 scores ~2200 in single. In contrast my 5.3ghz 10900k does around 1400. That's over 50% uplift. Plus no PCIE4
Thinking I can squeeze another year out of my 11700k. Mainly I want to try an ITX build more than just do a big hardware upgrade.

That FormD T1 v2 case looks really nice :o

TenSteel

*walks in Spanish*
OT Supporter
Nov 11, 2001
San Diego
the reflections are def. the most noticeable implementation. I spent an hour trying to find the impact of shadows and lighting, and while it is obvious side-by-side, when you're running around doing stuff it's hard to notice. But reflections are obvious all the time. Guess I will give that a try.
Yeah I don’t think the performance hit for the rest is worth it.

Also if we’re being honest, Cyberpunk seems to be poorly optimized compared to many other titles.

TS
TS
the_antsy_honda

the_antsy_honda

Sir, I protest...
Dec 17, 2001
California
Yeah I don’t think the performance hit for the rest is worth it.

Also if we’re being honest, Cyberpunk seems to be poorly optimized compared to many other titles.
It seems to run a little better than it used to. 1.6 hit and along with some content updates they seemed to really make the game feel better. Also, they seem to have fixed the NPC variation and interaction. They stumble when you bump into them and react, and there's a lot less "clones" running around. It either doesn't happen or its so rare that I don't notice it.

XR250rdr

OT Supporter
Mar 1, 2004
Ca
This, 5950X or a 5800X3D are the only upgrades I see me doing for at least a year or more.
I might upgrade my kid's 3600 to 5800X, but I'm going to wait for 7000 to drop and see how low it goes first.

I am going to keep my 10900KF for at least another year.

TS
TS
the_antsy_honda

the_antsy_honda

Sir, I protest...
Dec 17, 2001
California
I might upgrade my kid's 3600 to 5800X, but I'm going to wait for 7000 to drop and see how low it goes first.

I am going to keep my 10900KF for at least another year.
The only thing really holding me back besides cost is having to buy a new windows license and set all that shit up. I hate doing that.

Also, will have to get a new cooler since the 10900KF will still need the existing beefy one.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
digimarkactanza