CREW TECH Computer and electronics dorks come complain about stuff here

yonson

OT sux...
OT Supporter
Jul 25, 2006
Motor City...
A random long passphrase, sure. But 3 words that make up a phrase? Nah dog.

Pretty sure it will take a rather long time to brute force something like this.
4ebCmCyyj4sznxch6xX4S3K4qBaythyTs6HfURtbqmHHsLocPHpKMUKKUnFAV5J
Pretty sure it would take just as long to brute force it with the password being this sentence, and you could remember it...

Scoob_13

Hello Nice FBI Lady
Oct 5, 2001
Howdy Arabia
how old is this ram? What do you think caused it?
1 pair was ordered 5/17/2021, the other 11/1/2021. From Newegg :o

I’d seen some issues rarely at higher memory loads - ~80GB - but it was rare. Basically when I installed this monitor and updated all the things minus bios I started getting blue screens that were related to chrome allocating memory, and then went out of town and came back to a couple of kernel boss’s related to some generic memory errors.

I don’t know if this is something to do with AMD updates or what. The drastic instability is recent.

Honestly at this point run 64gb may be fine - but I do know I cross that threshold a few times a month so I’d prefer not to do it. I may just need to sack up and spin off my VMs that I run locally to run elsewhere or just use some remote tooling :o

stevezissou

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2009
US
1 pair was ordered 5/17/2021, the other 11/1/2021. From Newegg :o

I’d seen some issues rarely at higher memory loads - ~80GB - but it was rare. Basically when I installed this monitor and updated all the things minus bios I started getting blue screens that were related to chrome allocating memory, and then went out of town and came back to a couple of kernel boss’s related to some generic memory errors.

I don’t know if this is something to do with AMD updates or what. The drastic instability is recent.

Honestly at this point run 64gb may be fine - but I do know I cross that threshold a few times a month so I’d prefer not to do it. I may just need to sack up and spin off my VMs that I run locally to run elsewhere or just use some remote tooling :o
was your CPU cooler touching any of the ram sticks? I had a stick go bad because my CPU fan was touching a ram stick.

• Wow
Reactions: yonson

Scoob_13

Hello Nice FBI Lady
Oct 5, 2001
Howdy Arabia
was your CPU cooler touching any of the ram sticks? I had a stick go bad because my CPU fan was touching a ram stick.
Nope.

About the only thing touching is that small 4 pin connector that you can kind see in this pic:

D40DC8C7-8056-42DD-B2C9-EF923BE41648.jpeg

Here’s the last error. Ran twice, once with single core, again multi core, same error range for the addressing

BADE36FC-A878-4FEF-801E-DF5936B4D68F.jpeg

Reactions: stevezissou

stevezissou

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2009
US
Nope.

About the only thing touching is that small 4 pin connector that you can kind see in this pic:

View attachment 278754

Here’s the last error. Ran twice, once with single core, again multi core, same error range for the addressing

View attachment 278755
So 2 things now.

Could be a bad ram stick.

Could also be a bad ram "slot"

only way to test is 1 stick at a time > then find bad stick
then put that bad stick in all 4 slots to make sure it still turns up bad

That is "overkill" but still a possibility

TS
TS
the_antsy_honda

the_antsy_honda

This is the story of a little ship...
Dec 17, 2001
California
No, just haven’t had much time to troubleshoot deeply. I don’t have anything other than XMP going on - no overclocking anywhere
when I was trying to get my 1st gen Ryzen stable, I had to add a bunch of voltage to get it there.

idk about 5000 series specifically, but on 1st gen I needed 1.2v on SoC and 1.45 on DRAM to get it to do 2x8 3200 :rofl:

• Wow

Scoob_13

Hello Nice FBI Lady
Oct 5, 2001
Howdy Arabia
So 2 things now.

Could be a bad ram stick.

Could also be a bad ram "slot"

only way to test is 1 stick at a time > then find bad stick
then put that bad stick in all 4 slots to make sure it still turns up bad

That is "overkill" but still a possibility
I'm gonna be real pissed if it's a bad slot because of how much of a PITD it is to get everything into and out of this case :rofl:

• Support

Scoob_13

Hello Nice FBI Lady
Oct 5, 2001
Howdy Arabia
when I was trying to get my 1st gen Ryzen stable, I had to add a bunch of voltage to get it there.

idk about 5000 series specifically, but on 1st gen I needed 1.2v on SoC and 1.45 on DRAM to get it to do 2x8 3200 :rofl:
I'm to the point where I'm going to go look at the XMP profile and make sure it matches the RAM specs. Took me a while to find the damn model numbers from my order since I couldn't remember where I'd ordered it from :o

TS
TS
the_antsy_honda

the_antsy_honda

This is the story of a little ship...
Dec 17, 2001
California
I'm to the point where I'm going to go look at the XMP profile and make sure it matches the RAM specs. Took me a while to find the damn model numbers from my order since I couldn't remember where I'd ordered it from :o
they sure as fuck don't make it easy to find out what specific RAM module you got, that's for sure. And then sometimes they even switch ICs in the same model number too

was like that for my corsair lpx kits....same exact kits ordered a few days apart and one is samsung the other is sk hynix

yonson

OT sux...
OT Supporter
Jul 25, 2006
Motor City...
Although it USUALLY isn't an issue, XMP is really only good for 1 set of RAM though, so technically if you wanted 4x32 you would need to purchase a 4x32 kit and not use 2 2x32 kits.

Scoob_13

Hello Nice FBI Lady
Oct 5, 2001
Howdy Arabia
Although it USUALLY isn't an issue, XMP is really only good for 1 set of RAM though, so technically if you wanted 4x32 you would need to purchase a 4x32 kit and not use 2 2x32 kits.
It was like $800 in RAM, had to split that shit :rofl:

It was the exact same model numbers, though, so if it's being a prissy bitch I'm going to be even more annoyed :o

yonson

OT sux...
OT Supporter
Jul 25, 2006
Motor City...
It was like $800 in RAM, had to split that shit :rofl:

It was the exact same model numbers, though, so if it's being a prissy bitch I'm going to be even more annoyed :o
I totally get it, and I did the same thing on my TrueNAS machine. 1 kit is RGB and the other is Non-RGB :rofl: Corsair Vengeance with the same specs, but I haven't had any issues with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman