Computer and electronics dorks come complain about stuff here

yonson

OT sux...
OT Supporter
Jul 25, 2006
Motor City...
I'm about 2 months into having a Glorious and I'm really liking it. I did swap the Model O wireless for an O- wired because I hated having to charge it every day, I did end up getting a O- wireless for travel though since it was on sale.

EdgeOfSanity

OT Supporter
Sep 5, 2003
Houston, Tx
So bhphoto sent me an email that'll let me buy another rtx 4090 at retail price. I guess they did this since I bought the 13900ks from them. I have a block already, a new amd build planned for summer... So tempting. Wish crypto would recover so I could pay for hardware again through mining.

CPTMULLET

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2008
shitpost city
Way more expensive than I would have expected.

Worth it though? I don’t do E-Sprots.
I don’t know what I don’t do esports means, but if it mean you play no fast paced games probably not worth it over the regular gpro wireless or other comparable gaming mice.
Logitech imho is the king of peripherals though

NULL_bits

OT Supporter
Feb 10, 2021
Rant incoming:

God damn I hate Windows laptops. Desktops for gaming are okay, but Windows laptops are still hot garbage (yes I know these aren't technically "Windows laptops" but you know what I mean - your regular every day non-Mac laptop).

I switched to Mac for personal use back in 2011 and have upgraded my laptop every couple years. I have basically switched over to an iPad Pro for every day consumption bullshit, so I didn't use my MBP that much (I have a Mac Mini hooked to my TV for Mac bullshit). I needed an X86 Windows-centric laptop for the work I do, so I got one and sold my MBP because I don't really need two laptops.

Fucking Christ these things are still such a mess! I thought it would be better by now. I didn't cheap out, I gave myself an $1800 budget, so it's not a matter of using a $400 shitbox, but it still feels like one.

One thing in the laptop world is that no matter what you buy, when you tell people it sucks they will always say "well yeah (x) sucks, you should have gone with (y)", but x and y are variables because these all suck. That being said, I tried a few that people say are good and kept having to return them.

Started with a Dell XPS. It's a pretty sleek machine build-wise, but the fan never fucking stops! It sounds like a mini-Dyson vacuum. Yes, I did all the normal bullshit - made sure everything was up to date and Windows was no longer indexing, installed a fresh copy of Windows to get rid of all the bloat, tried various power plans, etc etc. It's either deal with a fan that never turns off, or deal with crazy throttling with a fan that kicks on about half the time. Also the OLED screen had a really weird screen door effect that I just couldn't get used to, and the trackpad completely sucks. Battery life mostly sucked, but not as bad as:

My next attempt, which was an HP Spectre. I actually like the folding hinge on this thing more than I thought I would, but the battery is dreadful! When I turn on battery saver mode I can get 4-5 hours, but it throttles way too much. On balanced mode I get less than 3 hours when I'm doing office style work with some coding (nothing intense, just regular enterprise .NET crap). I did all the standard procedures (make sure everything is up to date, no indexing going on, fresh Windows install, yada yada yada). So then:

The Thinkpad. It's all basically the same type of shit. One thing I hate about every single one of these laptops is that sleeping simply doesn't work, or at least not nearly as good as something like an MBP. As an example: looking at the battery usage graph, my battery drained from 91% at 6:00PM to 66% at 11:00PM (5 hours) while sleeping. Again, everything is up to date, it's set to sleep when the lid closes, etc. I can't tell you how many times I've grabbed my laptop while the lid is closed and the fucker is blazing hot! This thing is basically as barebones as I can make it! I disabled every startup item that I don't need, I did a fresh Windows install, there's basically nothing on this damn thing except for Office and Visual Studio, and I always make sure to close everything completely.

Also I know this isn't just a me-problem with the sleep issue because Linus did a whole video on this ongoing problem not very long ago (some of his staff switched to MBPs because of this problem alone). It's infuriating.

I know I sound like an Apple fanboy (trust me I could do a full rant on Apple alone, there's a lot of shit I don't like about Apple), but the MBP is just in a whole other league when it comes to user experience. With an M1 MBP I can get a legit full 12 hours of battery life (maybe even more) with my screen brightness up, running Xcode, and a bunch of other shit going on. It's so nice being able to go places without battery anxiety because I can easily get a full workday on a charge with way more than enough to spare. Furthermore, sleep actually works. I close the lid with 80% battery, come back the next day and it's at something like 78% Furthermore, there's absolutely no noticeable performance drops when running on battery, every single Windows laptop I've used throttles like crazy.

With Windows, still in 2022-2023, I'm having to do all the bullshit troubleshooting that I did before 2011. Search around the internet, never really find anything that works, there's always some registry "hack" that is supposed to fix things but never really does, etc.

Shit is so tiring, I wish I didn't need this stupid thing!

Alright, done with my rant! I hope you didn't really read all of that!

Reactions: stevezissou

CPTMULLET

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2008
shitpost city
Rant incoming:

God damn I hate Windows laptops. Desktops for gaming are okay, but Windows laptops are still hot garbage (yes I know these aren't technically "Windows laptops" but you know what I mean - your regular every day non-Mac laptop).

I switched to Mac for personal use back in 2011 and have upgraded my laptop every couple years. I have basically switched over to an iPad Pro for every day consumption bullshit, so I didn't use my MBP that much (I have a Mac Mini hooked to my TV for Mac bullshit). I needed an X86 Windows-centric laptop for the work I do, so I got one and sold my MBP because I don't really need two laptops.

Fucking Christ these things are still such a mess! I thought it would be better by now. I didn't cheap out, I gave myself an $1800 budget, so it's not a matter of using a $400 shitbox, but it still feels like one.

One thing in the laptop world is that no matter what you buy, when you tell people it sucks they will always say "well yeah (x) sucks, you should have gone with (y)", but x and y are variables because these all suck. That being said, I tried a few that people say are good and kept having to return them.

Started with a Dell XPS. It's a pretty sleek machine build-wise, but the fan never fucking stops! It sounds like a mini-Dyson vacuum. Yes, I did all the normal bullshit - made sure everything was up to date and Windows was no longer indexing, installed a fresh copy of Windows to get rid of all the bloat, tried various power plans, etc etc. It's either deal with a fan that never turns off, or deal with crazy throttling with a fan that kicks on about half the time. Also the OLED screen had a really weird screen door effect that I just couldn't get used to, and the trackpad completely sucks. Battery life mostly sucked, but not as bad as:

My next attempt, which was an HP Spectre. I actually like the folding hinge on this thing more than I thought I would, but the battery is dreadful! When I turn on battery saver mode I can get 4-5 hours, but it throttles way too much. On balanced mode I get less than 3 hours when I'm doing office style work with some coding (nothing intense, just regular enterprise .NET crap). I did all the standard procedures (make sure everything is up to date, no indexing going on, fresh Windows install, yada yada yada). So then:

The Thinkpad. It's all basically the same type of shit. One thing I hate about every single one of these laptops is that sleeping simply doesn't work, or at least not nearly as good as something like an MBP. As an example: looking at the battery usage graph, my battery drained from 91% at 6:00PM to 66% at 11:00PM (5 hours) while sleeping. Again, everything is up to date, it's set to sleep when the lid closes, etc. I can't tell you how many times I've grabbed my laptop while the lid is closed and the fucker is blazing hot! This thing is basically as barebones as I can make it! I disabled every startup item that I don't need, I did a fresh Windows install, there's basically nothing on this damn thing except for Office and Visual Studio, and I always make sure to close everything completely.

Also I know this isn't just a me-problem with the sleep issue because Linus did a whole video on this ongoing problem not very long ago (some of his staff switched to MBPs because of this problem alone). It's infuriating.

I know I sound like an Apple fanboy (trust me I could do a full rant on Apple alone, there's a lot of shit I don't like about Apple), but the MBP is just in a whole other league when it comes to user experience. With an M1 MBP I can get a legit full 12 hours of battery life (maybe even more) with my screen brightness up, running Xcode, and a bunch of other shit going on. It's so nice being able to go places without battery anxiety because I can easily get a full workday on a charge with way more than enough to spare. Furthermore, sleep actually works. I close the lid with 80% battery, come back the next day and it's at something like 78% Furthermore, there's absolutely no noticeable performance drops when running on battery, every single Windows laptop I've used throttles like crazy.

With Windows, still in 2022-2023, I'm having to do all the bullshit troubleshooting that I did before 2011. Search around the internet, never really find anything that works, there's always some registry "hack" that is supposed to fix things but never really does, etc.

Shit is so tiring, I wish I didn't need this stupid thing!

Alright, done with my rant! I hope you didn't really read all of that!
Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_11.33.38_AM.jpg

EcheloN

OH NOES!
Dec 13, 2001
So bhphoto sent me an email that'll let me buy another rtx 4090 at retail price. I guess they did this since I bought the 13900ks from them. I have a block already, a new amd build planned for summer... So tempting. Wish crypto would recover so I could pay for hardware again through mining.

Better trick is if you don't care what AIB or model, check Best Buy open box deals. There was a Gigabyte 4090 discounted $350 for open box making it around $1300.

Reactions: yonson

lowfat

The Dragon Reborn
OT Supporter
Oct 27, 2003
Grande Prairie, AB, Can
I hate that connected sleep shit. I have to hibernate my laptop whenever I'm not using it. I don't want the damn mouse RGB to be on all the time. Accidentally move the mouse and the POS wakes up. Even try to disable the option for the mouse to wake sleep in windows don't do shit. And I sure af don't need windows notifications when I'm not actively using the computer. Stupidest shit ever.

Reactions: NULL_bits

XR250rdr

OT Supporter
Mar 1, 2004
Ca
I think I'm going to get a different pump and reservoir. Current one is hard mounted to the front radiator so coupled vibration makes it really loud.

There should be just enough space to mount the pump under the PSU shroud.

lowfat

The Dragon Reborn
OT Supporter
Oct 27, 2003
Grande Prairie, AB, Can
I think I'm going to get a different pump and reservoir. Current one is hard mounted to the front radiator so coupled vibration makes it really loud.

There should be just enough space to mount the pump under the PSU shroud.
IMO pumps should always be decoupled from the chassis. I always sit mine on foam.

Reactions: Bloke

XR250rdr

OT Supporter
Mar 1, 2004
Ca
IMO pumps should always be decoupled from the chassis. I always sit mine on foam.
I wanted to try the current pump/res combo since it was free.

I'll probably mill a bracket out of aluminum and use some isolating grommets. to mount the pump to one of the bottom fan mounts.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olegarchy