Computer and electronics dorks come complain about stuff here

CPTMULLET

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2008
shitpost city
He’s not the first to break the story, but he’s definitely hopping on the bandwagon.
giphy.gif

Reactions: TenSteel

hootpie

Oct 5, 2003
Northern California
Why is wifi still so fucking slow? 5 years ago I had a WiFi 5 router that got ~500Mbps. 2 years ago I bought a WiFi 6 dual band router that gets ~500Mbps. Today I bought a gaming mesh wifi 6 tri-band with some extra 160Hz band for extra something and I get ~500Mbps with an iPhone, 3 different MacBook Pros, and a gaming computer that are all wifi 6 devices with 1200Mbps+ max and I'm getting less than half of that even when the device is directly next to the router with no other devices nearby/active.

I bonded my DS920+'s two CAT5 cables with the new router thinking "Ah yes, now I will max out my drives' 210MB/s and then realized my wifi is still limiting me to roughly 1/4 of that speed.

:mad::mad::mad:

Reactions: mistergin
TS
TS
the_antsy_honda

the_antsy_honda

This is the story of a little ship...
Dec 17, 2001
California
Why is wifi still so fucking slow? 5 years ago I had a WiFi 5 router that got ~500Mbps. 2 years ago I bought a WiFi 6 dual band router that gets ~500Mbps. Today I bought a gaming mesh wifi 6 tri-band with some extra 160Hz band for extra something and I get ~500Mbps with an iPhone, 3 different MacBook Pros, and a gaming computer that are all wifi 6 devices with 1200Mbps+ max and I'm getting less than half of that even when the device is directly next to the router with no other devices nearby/active.

I bonded my DS920+'s two CAT5 cables with the new router thinking "Ah yes, now I will max out my drives' 210MB/s and then realized my wifi is still limiting me to roughly 1/4 of that speed.

Be a use you COVID 5g is interfering, obviously

CPTMULLET

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2008
shitpost city

Sounds like you have 500mbps internet?

hootpie

Oct 5, 2003
Northern California
Sounds like you have 500mbps internet?
1200Mbps. I consistently get 1.2-1.3Gbps whether I connect my laptop directly to the modem or whether I run a speedtest through my router's interface.

This is in a house with only two other houses nearby (closest walls are 20+ ft apart), so not like this is a densely packed apartment complex with tons of interference.

keroberos

OT Supporter
Jan 16, 2002

Bonding interfaces will not give you double throughput on a single transfer thread FYI.

Unsure if it works on non-ubiquiti stuff, but there is a app called WifiMan(iOS) that may help you map whats going on in your house.

Reactions: LancerV

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olegarchy