Computer and electronics dorks come complain about stuff here

yonson

OT sux...
OT Supporter
Jul 25, 2006
Motor City...
In a way, I'm losing some functionality with the Aluminum version, as they didn't do the USB-A passthroughs that are on the non-pro RK100. I guess that's not a huge deal though. I really like the design looks and the feel. Way more thocky.

Moved my old keycap set to the new RK100 Pro. Went with red switches this time for more gamer-ey focus :mamoru:

View attachment 296984

Ordered another set for the old one, a bit different color scheme.

I do not like the shine thru keycaps mostly.

This looks nice, if I need anymore KB's I'll pick up one of these...

Reactions: the_antsy_honda

yonson

OT sux...
OT Supporter
Jul 25, 2006
Motor City...
Wow, it's amazing how much just doing a vBIOS update can make a difference.
Power usage only increased by 4 to 6W over stock during Port Royal.
Amazingly in Furmark the stock vBIOS uses the most power at 591W, The Strix was only 540W, and Galax HOF was 575W.
Port Royal
Stock TUF 25741 OC (188 core 1377 MEM) 27154
Stock Strix 25906 OC (179 core 1377 MEM) 27464
Stock Galax 26073 OC (163 core 1377 MEM) 27564

Hisma

OT Supporter
Apr 2, 2006
Reno, NV
Anyone on z790 platform with 4 ram DIMMS and able to run xmp full speed?
I recently went from 2 to 4. With 2 sticks, no problem running with xmp auto configured to its rated specs. 4 DIMMS, can't even POST with xmp on. I read this is extremely common and seems it hasn't been resolved.
I run now with xmp on but my ddr5 6600 at 4800 :hs:. Can't boot otherwise.

• Support
Reactions: mistergin

yonson

OT sux...
OT Supporter
Jul 25, 2006
Motor City...
I recently went from 2 to 4. With 2 sticks, no problem running with xmp auto configured to its rated specs. 4 DIMMS, can't even POST with xmp on. I read this is extremely common and seems it hasn't been resolved.
What does your QVL show that your MB is capable of with 4 DIMM's? This is why I got a 2x32 kit for mine, so I wouldn't have to deal with trying to run 4x16. Luckily 64GB is enough for me.

Charlie

omghi2u
OT Supporter
Jan 2, 2005
Atlanta
Is the ram the same model and speed? I know it shouldn't matter if it's different it should run at the slowest but I'm still curious.

Have you tried fully resetting the bios or taking the cmos battery out for a bit before you put the four in, then turn it in then turn XMP on. Curious if some other custom setting is fucking with it.

If it's different ram I would do old new old new not old old new new.

Last edited:
Reactions: yonson

yonson

OT sux...
OT Supporter
Jul 25, 2006
Motor City...
Ohhh another thing to try if you haven't is to make sure you have the latest BIOS and ME update. I know on my Z690 that made the difference between my 6600 RAM being limited to 6000 MT/s before the update. After I could run XMP.

XR250rdr

OT Supporter
Mar 1, 2004
Ca
13th gen can only run 4 dimms at reduced speed. 4 single ranked dimms is rated for only 4000MHz and 4 dual ranked DIMMs is only rated for 3600MHz.

EcheloN

OH NOES!
Dec 13, 2001

Pretty sure this has been an issue since z690 and it looks like they never fixed it.

Hisma

OT Supporter
Apr 2, 2006
Reno, NV

Hisma

OT Supporter
Apr 2, 2006
Reno, NV
Is the ram the same model and speed? I know it shouldn't matter if it's different it should run at the slowest but I'm still curious.

Have you tried fully resetting the bios or taking the cmos battery out for a bit before you put the four in, then turn it in then turn XMP on. Curious if some other custom setting is fucking with it.

If it's different ram I would do old new old new not old old new new.
of course its all matched DIMMS, exact same part num. Also did a full bios reset. It's a hw limitation it seems. It's annoying but not the end of the world. I doubt the difference would be noticeable in real world performance.

TS
TS
the_antsy_honda

the_antsy_honda

This is the story of a little ship...
Dec 17, 2001
California
4 dimms and slower memory isn't really new....it's been a thing with AMD for ages and even back to older intel gens. most people just never cared and or just ran slower memory anyway. and then ddr5

Reactions: Hisma

Hisma

OT Supporter
Apr 2, 2006
Reno, NV
What does your QVL show that your MB is capable of with 4 DIMM's? This is why I got a 2x32 kit for mine, so I wouldn't have to deal with trying to run 4x16. Luckily 64GB is enough for me.
you did it right. Yeah I want 64GB. At 32GB my memory usage was sitting at 50% just running chrome & discord. Shoulda went 2x32GB but too late to turn back now.

yonson

OT sux...
OT Supporter
Jul 25, 2006
Motor City...
So, when I hooked the PC back up to my SIM rig the Galax vBIOS only works with 3 of my 4 monitors. My right display (middle DP on the GPU) wouldn't get a signal. I wonder if it's because this GPU has 3 DP's and 2 HDMI's. I flashed the STRIX vBIOS back in and it's working fine.

Also, I just ran a 30 minute test session and a 25 minute race and this thing doesn't even break a sweat running the triple 1440's, 274W peak and only 47c and the FPS is almost always pegged at the 163 cap. :rofl:

KGB ate my bread

nͫiͤcͫeͤnͫiͤcͫeͤnͫiͤcͫeͤnͫiͤcͫeͤ
OT Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Louisiana

:o

Thinking since I got polled by YT that this is what they're going to do next :|

EdgeOfSanity

OT Supporter
Sep 5, 2003
Houston, Tx
Wow, it's amazing how much just doing a vBIOS update can make a difference.
Power usage only increased by 4 to 6W over stock during Port Royal.
Amazingly in Furmark the stock vBIOS uses the most power at 591W, The Strix was only 540W, and Galax HOF was 575W.
Port Royal
Stock TUF 25741 OC (188 core 1377 MEM) 27154
Stock Strix 25906 OC (179 core 1377 MEM) 27464
Stock Galax 26073 OC (163 core 1377 MEM) 27564
Galax bios has something going on internally that increases the effective clocks on the gpu core so they're closer to the actual clock. I also think it changes memory timings because I can go higher on my vram OC as well.

Reactions: yonson

EdgeOfSanity

OT Supporter
Sep 5, 2003
Houston, Tx
Running 4 dimms is not a good idea on most boards. They simply can't handle it very well on z790. I only run 2 dimms on my maximus extreme for that reason. You'll need to manually tune all the voltages to get it to run 6600 and even then it may not be possible on your board. Simplest solution is to run xmp but set your ram speed lower, try for 6200, if stable then bump it up a little until its unstable.

Reactions: yonson and Hisma

hootpie

Oct 5, 2003
Northern California
This is probably going to be a "yeah duh u dummy" comment, but in case anyone doesn't know:

When setting up a home network, split out your wifi bands if you can (e.g. ssidname, ssidname-24) so that the 5GHz and 2.4GHz networks are separate.
Setup all of your non-high speed/high bandwidth devices on the 2.4GHz -- for things like HomePods you have to be connected to the 2.4GHz network on the device setting it up to do this.
Put everything else high speed on the 5GHz network.

I dramatically underestimated the effect of noise on speed/latency. I have 3 HomePod Minis, 1 HomePod, 2 wifi smart lightbulbs, 2 Dyson air purifiers, and 2 smartplugs in a large house with 2 Asus GT-6 wifi mesh routers. Devices were fairly evenly split between them and those IoT devices basically never do much data transfer, but just their connection alone degraded 5GHz band performance significantly.

With all of those low-speed devices on 5GHz, I was getting 400-450Mbps down and 60ms+ latency in speed tests while sitting in front of the router.
With all of those low-speed devices on 2.4Gz, I was getting 650-700Mbps down and 20ms- latency.

Last edited:

yonson

OT sux...
OT Supporter
Jul 25, 2006
Motor City...
Galax bios has something going on internally that increases the effective clocks on the gpu core so they're closer to the actual clock. I also think it changes memory timings because I can go higher on my vram OC as well.
Yeah, it was definitely the best one, I just wish all 3 DP outs worked with it :hsd:

Users who are viewing this thread

• About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
    OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
    Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
    Guests online
    Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    abdallahppp6