Computer and electronics dorks come complain about stuff here

hootpie

Oct 5, 2003
Northern California
ROG Strix X570-i motherboard now has 3 dead USB-A ports on the back. Super dope because now I'm actually out of USB ports.

Going to see if I can parlay this into a X670e-i + 7x00X3D upgrade with the wife :rofl:

• Wow
Reactions: yonson

LancerV

Buttslut sighting
OT Supporter
Sep 16, 2003
This is probably going to be a "yeah duh u dummy" comment, but in case anyone doesn't know:

When setting up a home network, split out your wifi bands if you can (e.g. ssidname, ssidname-24) so that the 5GHz and 2.4GHz networks are separate.
Setup all of your non-high speed/high bandwidth devices on the 2.4GHz -- for things like HomePods you have to be connected to the 2.4GHz network on the device setting it up to do this.
Put everything else high speed on the 5GHz network.

I dramatically underestimated the effect of noise on speed/latency. I have 3 HomePod Minis, 1 HomePod, 2 wifi smart lightbulbs, 2 Dyson air purifiers, and 2 smartplugs in a large house with 2 Asus GT-6 wifi mesh routers. Devices were fairly evenly split between them and those IoT devices basically never do much data transfer, but just their connection alone degraded 5GHz band performance significantly.

With all of those low-speed devices on 5GHz, I was getting 400-450Mbps down and 60ms+ latency in speed tests while sitting in front of the router.
With all of those low-speed devices on 2.4Gz, I was getting 650-700Mbps down and 20ms- latency.
I got like 30+ devices and get 10-20ms latency, you have OFMDA and MUMIMO turned on?

hootpie

Oct 5, 2003
Northern California
I got like 30+ devices and get 10-20ms latency, you have OFMDA and MUMIMO turned on?
UKBxq0h.png

yonson

OT sux...
OT Supporter
Jul 25, 2006
Motor City...
ROG Strix X570-i motherboard now has 3 dead USB-A ports on the back. Super dope because now I'm actually out of USB ports.

Going to see if I can parlay this into a X670e-i + 7x00X3D upgrade with the wife :rofl:
Have you tried changing BIOS versions or updating drivers to see if they come back?

hootpie

Oct 5, 2003
Northern California
Have you tried changing BIOS versions or updating drivers to see if they come back?
Yup. Nothing software-wise seems to help.

I saw one ASUS thread where the guy discovered that his AIO which plugged to an internal USB header was causing the issue. I'm wondering if that's causing mine too.

yonson

OT sux...
OT Supporter
Jul 25, 2006
Motor City...
Yup. Nothing software-wise seems to help.

I saw one ASUS thread where the guy discovered that his AIO which plugged to an internal USB header was causing the issue. I'm wondering if that's causing mine too.
Hmm, that's interesting, definitely worth testing.

mistergin

Morale has improved but I find I miss the beatings
May 12, 2001
Mormons, AZ
you did it right. Yeah I want 64GB. At 32GB my memory usage was sitting at 50% just running chrome & discord. Shoulda went 2x32GB but too late to turn back now.

I noticed some unity inefficiencies with texture caching for 3d stuff was gobbling my 32gb and was kinda bummed I couldn't just add 2 more of the same 6400 :hsd:

Wonder if it's all boards or just those at my level (msi pro-a)?

Boots

I'm wearing a disguise
Jul 2, 2001
🇨🇦
Ran memtest86+ over lunch ... didn't come close to 1 pass... guess I'll run it over night

1674495132640.png

Also nice that all four chips are indeed the same die :cool:

Reactions: mistergin

Hisma

OT Supporter
Apr 2, 2006
Reno, NV
I noticed some unity inefficiencies with texture caching for 3d stuff was gobbling my 32gb and was kinda bummed I couldn't just add 2 more of the same 6400 :hsd:

Wonder if it's all boards or just those at my level (msi pro-a)?
all boards. it's a z790 issue, not a board-specific issue. To save money you can probably buy something that's the same brand/timings but lower clock speed.
In my case, all my memory is rated for 6600Mhz but I'm running at 4800Mhz. I'll take the extra memory over the extra Mhz. But knowing what I know now, I obviously would rather have saved money & bought slower memory, or just went 32GB x 2.

Reactions: mistergin

lowfat

The Dragon Reborn
OT Supporter
Oct 27, 2003
Grande Prairie, AB, Can
Ran memtest86+ over lunch ... didn't come close to 1 pass... guess I'll run it over night

View attachment 297500

Also nice that all four chips are indeed the same die :cool:
MemTest86 is useless IMO. You'd need to do a hundred passes TBH.

Use this

Extreme by anta777 (recommended). Make sure to load the config. It should say 'Customize: Extreme1 @anta777' if loaded.

Reactions: Boots

stevezissou

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2009
US
MemTest86 is useless IMO. You'd need to do a hundred passes TBH.

Use this

Extreme by anta777 (recommended). Make sure to load the config. It should say 'Customize: Extreme1 @anta777' if loaded.
I had bad ram and memtest86 found errors pretty quick.

Hope this helps

Reactions: Boots

yonson

OT sux...
OT Supporter
Jul 25, 2006
Motor City...
all boards. it's a z790 issue, not a board-specific issue. To save money you can probably buy something that's the same brand/timings but lower clock speed.
In my case, all my memory is rated for 6600Mhz but I'm running at 4800Mhz. I'll take the extra memory over the extra Mhz. But knowing what I know now, I obviously would rather have saved money & bought slower memory, or just went 32GB x 2.
Have you tried manually setting up the speed and timings?

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasonct