TECH Computer's power button is unresponsive

Vince

Nov 30, 2003
Chicago
I turned my computer off (properly, if that matters), and when I went to turn it on later in the evening, the power button was/is completely unresponsive. Is it most likely the power supply?

I tried all the basic things people recommended, unplug it and etc. etc.

It's a 2.5 year old Dell desktop.

Is there something I can do to be 100% on what the problem is before I go and spend money on what I think the issue is?

Thanks.

5Gen_Prelude

There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but
Mar 14, 2000
Vancouver, BC, CANADA
It could very well be the power button on the tower - we had a Dell with similar issues (although it was hit and miss) and it turned out to be the button (Vostro 2xx). The only way to determine that is to jump the pins on the MB that the power button is currently connected to.

However, depending on the MB, there are sometimes LED lights on the MB that stay on regardless of whether the power is on or off - but you would have to know that before it failed.

mds2004

Jul 10, 2004
Like he said first check the power switch by jumping the pins on the motherboard. just put a screwdriver touching the two pins that the cable is attached to.

Do you have a test power supply or a power supply tester?

Stilgar1973

Aug 12, 2006
Like he said first check the power switch by jumping the pins on the motherboard. just put a screwdriver touching the two pins that the cable is attached to.

Do you have a test power supply or a power supply tester?
Nothing bad can possibly come out of this.

Oh wait. I have that backwards.

Go here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...MATCH&Description=power+supply+tester&x=0&y=0

A power supply tester is a pretty simple device. I imagine a Radio Shack with them. If you have a computer shop nearby that sells parts they would have them. Newegg is normally ontop of there prices, but I find those kind of overpriced. To me that $8.99 one is worth maybe $4.99.

*quick story*
I own a house that I rent out.
The house has a very unique button in the kitchen. It is called the 'New Refrigerator button'.

I had prepared the house for new tenants. I was getting ready to sign the lease. I was walking through the house one last time before the tenants got there to sign the lease when I discovered - to my horror - the refrigerator was broken.
Fuck.
I apologize to the tenants. I promise them a new frig before they move in.
We sign the lease, I run out to Sears, I pick out a new fridge.
The delivery date gets there. Sears packs up the old fridge. Brings in the new fridge, plugs it in...

nothing

I look around the kitchen. Next to the sink is one of those kitchen outlets/circuit breaker.
Someone had pressed the test button. I press reset and the fridge starts right up.

And that my friends is the 'new refrigerator button' in my house.

What does this have to do with you?
Everything.

Step one: BE ABSOLUTELY DEAD CERTAIN THAT THE REAL PROBLEM ISN'T AT EITHER THE OUTLET OR THE POWER PROTECTOR. REMEMBER, IT IS POSSIBLE FOR INDIVIDUAL OUTLETS ON CHEAP POWER PROTECTORS TO FRY OUT WITHOUT EVERYTHING FRYING OUT.

Back to your problem.

It is one of two things. It is very possible it is the actual button.
It is equally possible it is the power supply.

If I wanted to check if the power button was bad I would probably swap the reset button with the power button on the motherboard.
(you might have to hold in the reset button to get power, but it will tell you the power button is bad)

On a Dell you have a BIG problem.

Dell is known for designing there cases and mobos so that you can only use DELL power supplies.

Dell is doing exactly what you think they are doing. Attempting to force people to use Dell service if they have Dell computers.

What you need to do is figure out the part number for your power supply and google that part number.

Purchase said part and do the work yourself.

The only thing easier then a power supply swap is memory replacement. Swapping power supplies is straight forward. Just a screw driver is all you need.

Wolf68k

OT Supporter
Dec 18, 2003
Houston, Texas
What he said. Simple thing to do really.
I use a jumper that I got off an old mobo that I have in a bin of small parts. Same idea really.

TS
TS
Vince

Vince

Nov 30, 2003
Chicago
I jumped the pins with a paperclip, stuff turned on but the power button was still doing nothing...so does that mean it is just a new power button I need? :hs:

mds2004

Jul 10, 2004
I jumped the pins with a paperclip, stuff turned on but the power button was still doing nothing...so does that mean it is just a new power button I need? :hs:

Yup. You will need a new power switch, which was the best outcome so because it is cheaper than a power supply or anything else.

TS
TS
Vince

Vince

Nov 30, 2003
Chicago
Do I need to look for anything specific since it is a Dell, or just any power switch from newegg will be fine likely.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DSimnovec