FOOD Cooking/BBQ/ferment/grilling bullshit thread

BStork

Suck My Beak From The Back™️
OT Supporter
Apr 28, 2007
sirloin tip WAY too lean for that kind of treatment, lesson learned. Also, I can't think of a good reason to wrap your meat when seasoning the night before and throwing in the fridge -- let some of that surface moisture go away

Werd. Would not do again.

Boing

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2007
in progress

IRlSxQM.png

Reactions: brah pitt

Sp33dealer

Bully Troll Crew
Aug 3, 2005
DFW
Smoking drumsticks for first time tonight

Went to pull out one of the packages that’s been “thawing” for a few days in the fridge and it’s still somewhat frozen because of how tightly it was packed :mad:

Reactions: Carne Seca

ChemicalWhore

Excessively Black
OT Supporter
May 1, 2006
San Diego
Anyone have a good recipe for Biscuits? I’ve tried 4 different ones and they all have came out like hockey pucks that don’t rise. Not sure what the hell im doing wrong.

pookrat

OT Supporter
Dec 6, 2002
The Woodlands
I forgot to post my smoking fiasco from Monday! I almost blew up myself and the entire neighborhood smoking a pork butt. I will try to update tomorrow.
Long story short. I had fired up my stick burner to smoke a Pork Butt and was about 2 hours into it. Going good.
u3MR1M2.jpg

First chance I had to play with my new Christmas present on the smoker. The Meater thermometer. Prolly seen them advertised like crazy around Christmas. It is really cool. I like it.
t3995qZ.jpg

There had been guys drilling and laying fiber-optic cables on the side of the street behind my house. I didn't think too much of it. All a sudden a few fire trucks show up and the police block off the roads. A repair crew comes from the gas company so I presume there was a gas leak. Oh well. I didn't smell anything. And it looked like the leak was a ways down the road to me. So I kept on cooking on. Radio blaring away. Just threw a few more logs in the smokebox and everything was going well.

Bout 10 minutes later I started hearing a hissing noise. About that time two firefighters come running into my backyard yelling and screaming! Their handheld gas meter was going nuts. And they saw the smoke from the new logs and came running!!! Dude said it was at a combustible level at my fence 20 feet away! He said I had 30 seconds to pull my meat off the girl and he already had the water hose in his hand!
48hSLSe.jpg

So I had to grab it and finish it off in the Oven inside. Weird that they never even cut the gas to the house off.
kIn4YQT.jpg

Oh and the Meater Thermometer is freaking awesome. Got it setup in the cloud so I can check on the cook anywhere from my watch or phone. Pretty neat.
qei2IM7.jpg

Should have cooked the Pork Butt closer to 180 or more but was running out of time. It was really cheap and made for decent pulled pork sandwiches anyways.

firemunki

I am the patron saint of lost causes
Aug 23, 2001
Scottsdale
Long story short. I had fired up my stick burner to smoke a Pork Butt and was about 2 hours into it. Going good.
u3MR1M2.jpg

First chance I had to play with my new Christmas present on the smoker. The Meater thermometer. Prolly seen them advertised like crazy around Christmas. It is really cool. I like it.
t3995qZ.jpg

There had been guys drilling and laying fiber-optic cables on the side of the street behind my house. I didn't think too much of it. All a sudden a few fire trucks show up and the police block off the roads. A repair crew comes from the gas company so I presume there was a gas leak. Oh well. I didn't smell anything. And it looked like the leak was a ways down the road to me. So I kept on cooking on. Radio blaring away. Just threw a few more logs in the smokebox and everything was going well.

Bout 10 minutes later I started hearing a hissing noise. About that time two firefighters come running into my backyard yelling and screaming! Their handheld gas meter was going nuts. And they saw the smoke from the new logs and came running!!! Dude said it was at a combustible level at my fence 20 feet away! He said I had 30 seconds to pull my meat off the girl and he already had the water hose in his hand!
48hSLSe.jpg

So I had to grab it and finish it off in the Oven inside. Weird that they never even cut the gas to the house off.
kIn4YQT.jpg

Oh and the Meater Thermometer is freaking awesome. Got it setup in the cloud so I can check on the cook anywhere from my watch or phone. Pretty neat.
qei2IM7.jpg

Should have cooked the Pork Butt closer to 180 or more but was running out of time. It was really cheap and made for decent pulled pork sandwiches anyways.
Jesus :rofl:

pookrat

OT Supporter
Dec 6, 2002
The Woodlands
So did they drench your smoker? I'd be pissed if I were you.
I was kinda pissed but what could I do. They just put the fire in the firebox out. Didn't touch the smoke box at all or anything. Just basically put the fire out. Full of half-burnt firewood and chunks now. I will just have to clean it out a little more for next time. Guess it beats the alternative of a massive explosion.

Menger

OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2011
a gas leak into the atmosphere (no enclosed space) isn't going to fucking explode. They were being extremely cautious which is the fair thing to do, but I wouldn't think you were in any danger.

pookrat

OT Supporter
Dec 6, 2002
The Woodlands
a gas leak into the atmosphere (no enclosed space) isn't going to fucking explode. They were being extremely cautious which is the fair thing to do, but I wouldn't think you were in any danger.
This... I was kinda perturbed. But wasn't going to fight with them. I work for a natural gas company and have to go through training and all often. I explained that I barely even smelled the mercaptan which would stick closer to the ground being heavier whereas the gas would just go straight up to the atmosphere. But I wasn't going to argue. Their little meters were beeping so we shut it down.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448