FOOD Cooking/BBQ/ferment/grilling bullshit thread

Boing

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2007
VAerZahh.jpeg

Smoked Cajun turkey yesterday.

About to go grill some chicken that's in a chipotle pepper marinade... It's like 10 degrees and windy af outside :hs:

Reactions: rebs and aloe

TheRightToRemainSilent

Long-Legged Mack Daddy
Mar 31, 2001
a trash can
i need one more cold day.

i bought 2 more lbs of pepperjack cheese today that i need to smoke. i tried some from my last batch and it turned out to be the best of them all so i figured i better stock up

RickylSmalls

how I love to waste your time
OT Supporter
Feb 28, 2002
Ohio
Anyone have one of those vortex things for charcoal grill?

Knockoff but reviews say its the same for half the money

BStork

Suck My Beak From The Back™️
OT Supporter
Apr 28, 2007
I did buy grill grates for my charcoal grill and that's what I used for the steaks. Highly recommend.

matrix243

BRAAAAAAAAAAAP
May 15, 2001
Calgary
What am I missing just to start out?
smoker
meat
tongs
charcoal
wood
flavored chips
steel pail
BT dual probe
butcher paper

One thing I never realized is you can't just use any type of wood and then include flavored chips. You need hickory, oak etc along with the flavored. Atleast I think. Not easy to come by here

BStork

Suck My Beak From The Back™️
OT Supporter
Apr 28, 2007
smoker
meat
tongs
charcoal
wood
flavored chips
steel pail
BT dual probe
butcher paper

One thing I never realized is you can't just use any type of wood and then include flavored chips. You need hickory, oak etc along with the flavored. Atleast I think. Not easy to come by here

Are you trying to get into a smoker or what? What's your goal?

Boing

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2007
smoker
meat
tongs
charcoal
wood
flavored chips
steel pail
BT dual probe
butcher paper

if you're smoking I also like some cotton glove liners + nitrile gloves over the top to pick up the meat when it's done vs using tongs or a fork or some other tool.

TheRightToRemainSilent

Long-Legged Mack Daddy
Mar 31, 2001
a trash can
Would rather save on the up front cost and the heat maintenace then extra cost/saved time on pellet

i asked my friend who uses a weber kettle a few questions today...

his flavor will ALWAYS be superior, but he has to go outside and tend to the smoker every hour or so to maintain temp, etc...

pellet grill flavor will lack in comparison, but unless the power goes out or something absolutely unforseen happens, it is set it and forget it...like, go to bed and wake up with little/no worries...

myself, i would go pellet everytime :dunno:

matrix243

BRAAAAAAAAAAAP
May 15, 2001
Calgary
i asked my friend who uses a weber kettle a few questions today...

his flavor will ALWAYS be superior, but he has to go outside and tend to the smoker every hour or so to maintain temp, etc...

pellet grill flavor will lack in comparison, but unless the power goes out or something absolutely unforseen happens, it is set it and forget it...like, go to bed and wake up with little/no worries...

myself, i would go pellet everytime :dunno:
I don't have any problems tending, and the one I'm looking at is ideally good for about 2h, plus there will rarely be large cooks that need 8-12 like brisket. Plus I am just starting out and would rarely smoke. Also have heard horror stories of pellet feeders failing and starting fires.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448