FOOD Cooking/BBQ/ferment/grilling bullshit thread

digital jello

i'll be jeans soon
OT Supporter
Mar 14, 2006
got a smoking gun as a gift. gotta say it's decent for what it is. thing is pretty much a weed pipe. anyway blasting chicken thighs for 30 minutes with cold smoke prior to baking gives pretty decent results. used it on some ribs last night and they were good.

TheRightToRemainSilent

Long-Legged Mack Daddy
Mar 31, 2001
a trash can
what are ya'll cooking today?

i got a 1 lb ribeye going on the smoker here soon....shooting for 120 and then slapping on the hot ass grill for a couple minutes per side for reverse searing.

:dunno:

normally i would cook this steak in about 7 minutes, but today i'm going to smoke it for a while since i have the shit to do so and it's nice outside. :beer:

BStork

Suck My Beak From The Back™️
OT Supporter
Apr 28, 2007

i got a 1 lb ribeye going on the smoker here soon....shooting for 120 and then slapping on the hot ass grill for a couple minutes per side for reverse searing.

normally i would cook this steak in about 7 minutes, but today i'm going to smoke it for a while since i have the shit to do so and it's nice outside. :beer:

Gonna do ribs

Newt

Sep 11, 2003
NVloc - 514.QC

Reverse searing some steakies

TheRightToRemainSilent

Long-Legged Mack Daddy
Mar 31, 2001
a trash can
it was good...

smoke flavor overall was a nice addition that i wasn't used to

worth the extra hour plus cook time and clean up? not at fucking all.

i would have been equally as satisfied with 7 minutes on the gas grill and done

/flamesuit on

BStork

OT Supporter
Apr 28, 2007
PXL_20220402_222349134.jpg
PXL_20220402_223549939.MP.jpg

Got up at 530am this morning to get my oldest to the soccer fields for a 730am kick off. Got home around 415pm today. Ribs on the Hasty and should be done by 730pm baybeeeee.

Being a parent is fucking exhausting but goddamn if it isn't also fun and rewarding. :love:

firemunki

I am the patron saint of lost causes
Aug 23, 2001
Scottsdale
it was good...

smoke flavor overall was a nice addition that i wasn't used to

worth the extra hour plus cook time and clean up? not at fucking all.

i would have been equally as satisfied with 7 minutes on the gas grill and done

/flamesuit on

use your smoke tube coupled with good mesquite pellets, cold smoke for an hour and then grill normally, serve with a side of horseradish sauce

TheRightToRemainSilent

Long-Legged Mack Daddy
Mar 31, 2001
a trash can
smokin manes!

i hit pay dirt today at the local tractor supply.

you know that rural king stopped carrying lumberjack brand pellets, right? and everyone loved lumberjack pellets...they were consistently high rated. so anyway, bear mountain grills is also one of the top rated pellets available and several months ago i had to hit several tractor supply stores to only find ONE flavor of the bear mountain grill pellets and they only had 2 bags available in a 50 mile radius. so i got them.

fast forward to this morning, i went to tractor supply on a whim and they had ALLL the flavors of bear mountain pellets. :bowdown:

plus they had the jim beam barrel pellets (used to be under the bear mountain name) so i may have spent $70 on pellets this morning :o

TheRightToRemainSilent

Long-Legged Mack Daddy
Mar 31, 2001
a trash can
use your smoke tube coupled with good mesquite pellets, cold smoke for an hour and then grill normally, serve with a side of horseradish sauce

dumb question here, but....

wouldn't that let the meat sit in the "danger zone" temperature wise? especially during warmer months outside?

if it was cold as balls outside i could see this working, but not during the warm months :dunno:

firemunki

I am the patron saint of lost causes
Aug 23, 2001
Scottsdale

wouldn't that let the meat sit in the "danger zone" temperature wise? especially during warmer months outside?

if it was cold as balls outside i could see this working, but not during the warm months :dunno:

yep. I typically don't do it during the warmer months, especially given my climate. There's been a few times that I was really craving it that I did it late at night during the summer and it was fine. One hour in the "danger zone" and then immediately onto a hot grill doesn't really scare me

FSIS/USDA:
"The "Danger Zone" (40 °F-140 °F)
Bacteria grow most rapidly in the range of temperatures between 40 ° and 140 °F, doubling in number in as little as 20 minutes. This range of temperatures is often called the "Danger Zone." That's why the Meat and Poultry Hotline advises consumers to never leave food out of refrigeration over 2 hours. If the temperature is above 90 °F, food should not be left out more than 1 hour."

Scoob_13

Hello Nice FBI Lady
Oct 5, 2001
Jew Space Laser Control Center

Are there risks? Yes. But be smart about it and you can minimize the risks. Don't sit there and eat a cold smoked steak for 3 meals for a year and you'll be fine.

TheRightToRemainSilent

Long-Legged Mack Daddy
Mar 31, 2001
a trash can
my #1 smoking goal for 2022 is brisket...i have GOT to do it :rofl:

other than that, it's gonna be chicken of all cuts (or whole), whole rabbits, chuck roasts, st louis style ribs, turkey breasts, boston butts....maybe a queso dip just for shits and giggles

i'm fucking PUMPED for this spring/summer weather :bowdown:

BStork

OT Supporter
Apr 28, 2007
better to let the skin dry in the fridge for 24 hours, but it worked.

skin wasn't rubbery at all, but not as crispy as it could have been with a proper preparation.

meat was perfecto!

On the top of letting things dry in the fridge: one of the best things I did to improvey steak was salt them and let them sit in the fridge for 24 hours. Really made the flavor better.

Scoob_13

Hello Nice FBI Lady
Oct 5, 2001
Jew Space Laser Control Center
On the top of letting things dry in the fridge: one of the best things I did to improvey steak was salt them and let them sit in the fridge for 24 hours. Really made the flavor better.
I do this as well, but tend to go for 3 to 5 days (depending on thickness, thicker = more time), on a wire rack on a sheet tray, turning about every 12 hours.

Makes for a perfectly seasoned steak.

Reactions: BStork

Sp33dealer

Bully Troll Crew
Aug 3, 2005
DFW
I still haven’t done this because yolo I guess

I really ought to try this next time. I’m usually 30-45 min before guy :hs:

Reactions: BStork

BStork

OT Supporter
Apr 28, 2007
I still haven’t done this because yolo I guess

I really ought to try this next time. I’m usually 30-45 min before guy :hs:

I read an article that said if you can't do 24 hours, then 45 mins was 2nd best.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448