FOOD Cooking/BBQ/ferment/grilling bullshit thread

BStork

Suck My Beak From The Back™️
OT Supporter
Apr 28, 2007
it's official

i have a 3.5 lb brisket (flat assumed) thawed out and i'm gonna see what happens this sunday either it will be good, or it will be shoe leather

someone gave it to me and it was cut at a local meat packer so the label just says BEEF BRISKET. so i have no idea what part or how good of quality the meat actually is :o

the thing is, IF it's good then it will boost my confidence enough to not be afraid of going big on a brisket i have to pay good money for

Show a pic

BStork

Suck My Beak From The Back™️
OT Supporter
Apr 28, 2007
i'll snap one sunday morning before i sprinkle the "HOW TO BBQ RIGHT" TX brisket seasoning and other shit

i'll get a before and after whether it's good or not.

i take pics of nearly everything i smoke, it's a silly habit :o

I'm just trying to help determine what it is. If it's a flat, you don't wanna smoke it, really.

rebs

Fuck them Cowboys
OT Supporter
Sep 21, 2003
Ca
My wife has been adding brisket to damn near everything. Breakfast burritos, stir fry rice, her vagina, etc

Boing

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2007
My wife has been adding brisket to damn near everything. Breakfast burritos, stir fry rice, her vagina, etc

I used some leftover brisket on a toasted bagel with cheese and a fried egg. Super good.

Reactions: rebs

matrix243

BRAAAAAAAAAAAP
May 15, 2001
Calgary
were you talking about the point?

i'm just curious what you were thinking :rofl:
I'm just starting out too but I've read it typically needs to be 10-15lb from yt clips I've seen, and has to do with amount of fat that renders in to keep it naturally moist. I also was hoping to get small cuts but apparently isn't the same quality then. Let me know how it turns out if you have something to compare to.

matrix243

BRAAAAAAAAAAAP
May 15, 2001
Calgary
Same reason why you shouldn't cut the whole brisket if you don't intend on eating it all right away. Bigger chunks keeps the higher flavor.

TheRightToRemainSilent

Long-Legged Mack Daddy
Mar 31, 2001
a trash can
im almost convinced that this isnt brisket. i couldn't have cooked it anymore textbook and it just don't seem right

it got to 165 in 2.5 hours and never stalled

i brought it in and wrapped it in paper and it's been back in for 1 hour and is already at 200

granted, it wasn't a huge piece of meat...but that just seems awfully quick :dunno:

edit: maybe my probe was having a moment. earlier the probe and the instant read were within a few degrees of each other, but this time when i got 200 with the probe, the instant read was much different. so i unplugged the probe and got a different one and now it matches my instant read in the same hole...so maybe it's actually in the stall now because the temp was much lower than i thought a few minutes ago :ugh:

Last edited:

rebs

Fuck them Cowboys
OT Supporter
Sep 21, 2003
Ca
about to get a beer can chicken going with killer bees honey chipotle, corn on the cob, and i gotta figure out a salad or pasta

matrix243

BRAAAAAAAAAAAP
May 15, 2001
Calgary
im almost convinced that this isnt brisket. i couldn't have cooked it anymore textbook and it just don't seem right

it got to 165 in 2.5 hours and never stalled

i brought it in and wrapped it in paper and it's been back in for 1 hour and is already at 200

granted, it wasn't a huge piece of meat...but that just seems awfully quick :dunno:

edit: maybe my probe was having a moment. earlier the probe and the instant read were within a few degrees of each other, but this time when i got 200 with the probe, the instant read was much different. so i unplugged the probe and got a different one and now it matches my instant read in the same hole...so maybe it's actually in the stall now because the temp was much lower than i thought a few minutes ago :ugh:
I'm 100% a rookie on this, never smoked anything, but the mad scientist bbq guy on yt that I've watched says its not about the temp. There's 5 things to look out for and the temp is last. But not over cook. Maybe someone can chime in

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448