FOOD Cooking/BBQ/ferment/grilling bullshit thread

matrix243

BRAAAAAAAAAAAP
May 15, 2001
Calgary
Does anyone know what kind of ratio there could be between smoking meat and finishing in oven at the right temp and not losing much for flavor? Like brisket or ribs.

DasVWBabe

OT's Diamond and Gemstone Tutorial Creator
OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2002
Frisconia
I did onion and lime juice as well. Salt, pepper and garlic. I like to keep it simple.
Looks amazing. We've been making this combo plus 1/2 a mango roasted, half fresh lately, and it is so incredibly good.
Need to re-up this weekend! :bigthumb:

Reactions: BStork

Newt

Sep 11, 2003
NVloc - 514.QC
Does anyone know what kind of ratio there could be between smoking meat and finishing in oven at the right temp and not losing much for flavor? Like brisket or ribs.
For brisket, once you wrap you can put it in the oven for all intents and purposes. As far as flavour goes for other stuff, trial and error probably. 50/50 smoker oven or 60/40 probably fine. :shrug:

matrix243

BRAAAAAAAAAAAP
May 15, 2001
Calgary
For brisket, once you wrap you can put it in the oven for all intents and purposes. As far as flavour goes for other stuff, trial and error probably. 50/50 smoker oven or 60/40 probably fine. :shrug:
Only saving about an hour or 2 then with the wrap stage in oven. Something I guess

Newt

Sep 11, 2003
NVloc - 514.QC
I mean its infinitely easier then using my smoker. And can control the temps dead on.
Yup.

Still not faster.

My point for brisket is when you wrap its not absorbing smoke.

If it's something you don't wrap, you just have to find your acceptable smoke flavour, then you can oven after that.

firemunki

I am the patron saint of lost causes
Aug 23, 2001
Scottsdale
the old jshively rule of thumb was meat generally stops taking on smoke flavor after ~4 hours or ~140 degrees, I can't remember which he went by. I think you get some smoke flavor so long as it's unwrapped on the smoker, but if you need to cheat, his recommendation was around one of those targets.

If your smoker is a PITA to use, sure feel free to use your oven to finish it off. Just know that many ovens have pretty large temp swings regardless of what the digital display reads out

Newt

Sep 11, 2003
NVloc - 514.QC
Low and slow vs internal temp.

There's a bunch of variables and it depends on what you're cooking. There is no golden ratio.

@jshively for example said he does his pulled pork at a higher temp because in his experience it makes little difference.

So if you can get you smoker in a window that works for that smoked flavour, then move it to the oven to finish, you're golden.

It's just trial and error to get the smoke flavour.

BStork

Suck My Beak From The Back™️
OT Supporter
Apr 28, 2007
How do we feel about dry brining brisket prior to smoking?

DontRevMe

Not today
OT Supporter
Sep 21, 2003
Ca
I need to figure out how damn early I need to start the bird Thursday fml

23lbs spatchcocked 275 degrees. I'm guessing 7-8 hours

TheRightToRemainSilent

Long-Legged Mack Daddy
Mar 31, 2001
a trash can
I need to figure out how damn early I need to start the bird Thursday fml

23lbs spatchcocked 275 degrees. I'm guessing 7-8 hours

i would go 300 degrees and when the breast hits 145, crank it up to 350 to complete the rest and crisp the skin.

pull it off when the breast hits 165

i did a 17 lb birb this way last year and was just over 3 hours using these temps :dunno:

good luck!

are you going to set yours out for a little while before you put it on the smoker or go straight from fridge to smoker? i let mine sit on the counter for a little bit.

Reactions: DontRevMe

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.12.0 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nancy Sherman